My, my how DO you decide?

My1Day.com

I am having a really hard time figuring out what one to book. We are looking at the Pride and I originally suggested a July cruise for my DH's BD around his BD (2 days after) but then HE started looking and saw that May is so much cheaper. DS gets out of school the 16th, but with snow days like today I wouldn't book anything prior to the 26th. Which IS appealing since it puts a holiday in there and DH would only need 4 days off...but I don't like the Orlando port. I then looked south of us, still driving distance at Fantasy who also offers 7 days with the correct eastern itinerary, but I wanted to book a balcony and 1- they don't have a balcony in my price range and 2- only have 1pool.

My, my...how do YOU ALL decide?

Always difficult. First I consider budget; how much am I willing to pay. Then I figure out the best time and the itineraries I am considering. The ship isn't a huge consideration, but I would rather cruise on a ship that I haven't been on just for the variety. Ports are another consideration because anywhere is a long distance for us( we live in southern Indiana). If we drove it would be at the least an 11 hour drive, so we fly. I just take all those facts in consideration and then pick.

If Galveston would be an option for you, may I suggest Carnival Magic, 7-day Western, sailing May 25-June1. We just booked this cruise with a balcony on Lido Deck--great location. There are plenty of balconies not yet booked. Magic is a great ship with lots to do and the itenerary is Roatan, Belize, and Coz.

Here's hoping you find the cruise that's right for you. Bon Voyage!

lol. For us it's quite simple.

We have very limited days off work, so we start with the date.

Next we find the closest port of departure. By then we're usually limited to about 5 cruises. Next we look at price and children's programs. That usually limits us to just 1 cruise.

We don't care too much about our cabin. If we get the best suite on the ship-great. If we end up squished in some corner of the bottom deck-also great.

Ports, amount of time at the ports, and the number of sea days on the ship (preferably with one the day before debarkation) are the main factors that I look at. Then I look at dates and it's not that difficult to find one during the time we want to vacation. The port isn't really a factor since we would fly regardless of the location of the port.

Good luck!

We look at what vacation we have available and when, then for us it's about an equal distance drive to most ports (we're in South Dakota, so there is nothing even remotely close :eek: Ha!), and thus far both of our cruises are out of New Orleans, because we LOVE it there and there is a TON of stuff to do. Since we do live so far away, we take a full two weeks, so we can spend 3-4 days in New Orleans (or wherever on the way to the port), and really enjoy some quality time away. Our kids are grown, so we also try to book when most kids are in school, and avoid holidays. ;)

My, my...how do YOU ALL decide?

Varies from one to another.

2010 - We wanted a cheap, short cruise departing from our closest port of embarkation for our infant son's 1st birthday - Fascination

2011 - We wanted the newest, largest, most innovative ship, and cost was not a factor - Allure of the Seas

2013 - We wanted a cruise to Alaska, Saturday departure, roundtrip from Seattle, visiting Glacier Bay - Westerdam from Seattle

2014 - We want a new ship, a bit more upscale, on an itinerary besides the Caribbean, but still close to home - Royal Princess from New York

For our next cruise I built a spreadsheet that compared the cost, expected airfare, ports (including time in port and number of ships in port) and a couple of other factors. Then I went to a web site that lists a lot of cruises (vacations to go) and did a search for our planned destination (Caribbean) and date range and then added cruises that I wanted to consider.

I ended up with 13! :eek:

Then I went back and looked at what was important to us (in this case, we wanted to try a new line and some new ports) and eliminated about half. then I looked at the details like time in port (I would choose a cruise that is in a port from 8-5 over one that is in that port from 10-3, for example) and finally price.

That narrowed the list to three, and then I read reviews and info on the ship and ports to make our decision.

Yeah, I'm just a bit of an over-researcher :D

Everybody has there system. I usually pick a date then look at price. Then look at the ports it visits. The ship really doesn't matter we have sailed on a couple a couple different times. Cost is the biggest thing we look at. We want to do two a year so we look for cheapest so we can travel more. Wife has limited days off so that is considered in the date selection. On a couple of ours we looked for certain ports then look at dates that were cheapest.

The op said did not like the port out of Orlando. I am gonna go out on a limb and say they are talking about Port Canaveral Orlando is closest airport. We drive from the foothills of NC and love port Canaveral. Charleston is our closest port but there is only a few 7 day cruises out of there. Then Jacksonville is 6 hours and on to port Canaveral and if we can drive to there what's another few hours to Miami.

The thing is that I have learned each time we go its different. We have done 11 cruises so far and 10 on CCL. Each one has been different. Even the ones on the same ships. You never know what the culture on the ship will be. Just depends on where the best deal was given.

Not real sure what my point was when I started posting this or if I have even posted on the right topic. But I hope some of this info helps somebody with something or at least was entertaining to somebody with nothing better to do while drinking morning coffee while it's 21 degrees outside.

I'm here drinking my coffee waiting on my trip to port Everglades in two weeks for the six night cruise on Carnival Freedom. If I'm on schedule we should be passing thru Jacksonville about now.

For our next cruise I built a spreadsheet

I'm not the only one who did that! I built a spread sheet breaking down excursion costs, flight/parking, tips, and miscellaneous expenses as well as cruise price.

For my time frame, I found the cost to be surprisingly comparable.

We most always cruise in August. So I start there. Then I begin looking at embarkation ports. I don't fly, so FL ports for us. I always begin with Port Canaveral to see what ships are leaving and dates, then the ports. Last year we sailed out of Port Everglades as the one leaving out of Canaveral didn't have the ports we wanted and the one out of the Everglades had the exact ports my DH had been dreaming to go to.

We're normally tied to specific dates and then we look at what is available for those dates.

But we do have certain things that also influence. We don't want to cruise in July or August. It's too hot and the prices are much higher. Been there and done that when we had to go those dates. That applies to land vacations too.

We also have particular interests. We love to snorkel and we also like Mayan ruins. Hence we like the Western Itineraries. And budget plays a role too. We would love to be going back to Europe this spring but the airfare there is more than the cost of a Caribbean cruise. So, for the money and time period, we just choose the one we like most.

Also, we're going to cruise out of Port Canaveral for the first time this spring. It's only a 10 hour drive, which is much cheaper than flying a family of 4. Plus, we can make other stops on way there and back. So the ports do make a difference too. There are some ports, such as Galveston, that we will never cruise out of since it is so difficult and pricey for us to be to.

So bottom line is start with a list and then narrow things down. And is there are bucket items, such as an Alaskan cruise or one out of San Juan, then check prices for those too.

Happy planning!!!!!!!

First, we are Floridians, so we do have the option of 5 ports that are within striking distance (6 if you count charleston, but I don't, they only go to the Bahamas.) I always look for price first, but also have to weigh the other expenses such as how much is it going to cost in gas, hotel, parking etc. prior to the cruise. The itinerary is important to us, but being avid cruisers, we've been to most ports in the Caribbean. So, recently, the ships have become much more important. (Especially since we've stayed on the spa deck on cloud 9 spa ships). We have constants we always adhere to: we always book inside cabins, portholes if available, if our kids are traveling with us, we book two cabins, if we are on a ship with a cloud 9 spa, we book a spa stateroom. Those are things that are important to us, you have to figure out the things that are important to you and stick to it.

Everybody has there system. I usually pick a date then look at price. Then look at the ports it visits. The ship really doesn't matter we have sailed on a couple a couple different times. Cost is the biggest thing we look at. We want to do two a year so we look for cheapest so we can travel more. Wife has limited days off so that is considered in the date selection. On a couple of ours we looked for certain ports then look at dates that were cheapest.

The op said did not like the port out of Orlando. I am gonna go out on a limb and say they are talking about Port Canaveral Orlando is closest airport. We drive from the foothills of NC and love port Canaveral. Charleston is our closest port but there is only a few 7 day cruises out of there. Then Jacksonville is 6 hours and on to port Canaveral and if we can drive to there what's another few hours to Miami.

The thing is that I have learned each time we go its different. We have done 11 cruises so far and 10 on CCL. Each one has been different. Even the ones on the same ships. You never know what the culture on the ship will be. Just depends on where the best deal was given.

Not real sure what my point was when I started posting this or if I have even posted on the right topic. But I hope some of this info helps somebody with something or at least was entertaining to somebody with nothing better to do while drinking morning coffee while it's 21 degrees outside.

I'm here drinking my coffee waiting on my trip to port Everglades in two weeks for the six night cruise on Carnival Freedom. If I'm on schedule we should be passing thru Jacksonville about now.

WOW!!!! 21 Degrees? You guys are having a heat wave!!!:D:D It is 3 degrees up here in CT:eek::eek::eek:

We book based on the school and work schedule (least amount of time off) and usually book the week of Thanksgiving.

From there, we look at itineraries. It's not that much more to fly to Florida than San Juan, and San Juan offers very interesting islands.

Not really based on priced (otherwise we'd go with the Carnival Valor on our next trip) but for a few dollars more we can cruise another line and get 3 or 4 new islands.

If you at all interested in an unlimited alcoholic drip package, Celebrity Cruises has a deal out now that if you book a 7 day cruise you'll get this perk for FREE - yup, saving you over $50 per person per day. We jumped on it for our Thanksgiving cruise, and my younger DD and DH (who do not drink) will get the $200 OBC perk.

In the long run, it was cheaper than booking with Carnival and we get to stay on a different ship, new cruiseline and new itinerary.

Also, we look at the port times, the Carnival ship had odd port times for Aruba say, 2pm-11pm. I would not book that, there is another line that goes to Aruba and is in port all day - something we would much rather perfer.