Hotels in FLL

JasmineCruiser

I have been reading some posts that say to avoid some hotels on State Road 84. We were looking at the Best Western FLL Inn. Is that one to avoid too? If anyone has any suggestions for a hotel in FLL, would appreciate any guidance. Price is a consideration too. The AAA rate for the Best Western is $107 for next January.

Thanks a lot! :)

That's located on State Road 84, a rather nasty, unsafe neighborhood and IMO it's best to avoid that entire area.

IMO the only NICE Best Western in Fort Lauderdale is the Pelican Beach Resort... http://www.pelicanbeach.com/

If you're looking for a nice inexpensive, no frills hotel try the Holiday Inn Express on SE 17th Street... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Another very inexpensive hotel that many on here like is the Amerisuites, just off of SE 17th Street... http://www.amerisuites.com/

SE 17th Street is a very safe area located just outside the entrance to Port Everglades with many shops and restaurants within walking distance.

We just booked Hampton Inn Ft Lauderdale NORTH.. we stayed here last year.

Got in at 3am.. and the shuttle showed up right away..

They also have free shuttle to Port.. the first of which leaves at 10:30am..when the port officially opens..

The "problem" with the Hampton Inn that they call "Airport North" is that it's in a nasty neighborhood. The hotel itself is probably fine, but take it from a local, the area it's in is not safe to walk around in, and there's really nothing worth going to within walking distance anyway.

The SE 17th Street area is much nicer, much much safer, and there are many many shops, restaurants, and liquor & grocery stores that are all right there.

The Hampton Inn Airport North is a nice hotel. If you are looking for something to just spend the night before or after a cruise, the hotel is more than adequate. There is a strip-mall across the parking lot that has a grocery store and other little stores and a restaurant in it. There are also 2 fast food restaurants (Taco Bell and Wendy's?) in the front of that strip mall if I remember right. We didn't feel unsafe walking to the grocery store at all and the people at the desk will drive you to a restaurant if you'd like.

If you are looking for beach hotels and other things to do, TrentS would probably be the one to ask.

The Hampton Inn Airport North is a nice hotel. If you are looking for something to just spend the night before or after a cruise, the hotel is more than adequate. There is a strip-mall across the parking lot that has a grocery store and other little stores and a restaurant in it. There are also 2 fast food restaurants (Taco Bell and Wendy's?) in the front of that strip mall if I remember right. We didn't feel unsafe walking to the grocery store at all and the people at the desk will drive you to a restaurant if you'd like.

If you are looking for beach hotels and other things to do, TrentS would probably be the one to ask.

That's all we're looking for - a place to spend the night before our cruise. We don't usually go out at night and walk around. We will have dinner somewhere but that's all or have something delivered. From some of the posts I've read from others who have stayed here, it seems that the shuttle is fast picking you up from the airport and they go out of their way to accomodate you with the port shuttle. Plus, the king rooms have walk-in showers, which we prefer over tubs. Also, there's the hot breakfast.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Does anyone have any input about this one? I just booked it through Priceline and I know it's not the best area for cruising but it was only $50. I'm bummed out that there's no shuttle for the airport or pier. But it could be worse right? It is right on the ocean and it's only for one night before our real vacation starts. Just looking for some reassurance.

:D

I'm working on a group stay at any hotel in FLL. Several of the hotels I've contacted, this past week, have informed me they are discontinuing their shuttle services from airport/pier and airport/hotel. Reasons given: rising cost of gas, security issues with pickup and drop offs, speed and ease of convenient taxis, and on and on... I post this just as a notice to 'double check' with your hotel to verify they will still be offering that service when you get there. My group is going out of FLL on the Liberty Jan. 21, 2006 and several shuttle services run by some hotels will not be functioning then. I don't feel it's my place to name the hotels I've been told this by, as I cannot know when, or even if, they will hold to this statement. Please verify with your hotel before you get there.

That wouldn't surprise me... The airport, Port Everglades, and the majority of the hotels (SE17th Street in particular) are so close together that the cost of taxis is minimal, and in most cases it's just far easier to grab a taxi than to wait around and be jammed into a shuttle for such a short, inexpensive ride.

Which Holiday Inn on Fort Lauderdale Beach??? There are 2 of them... One is okay, the other is not so nice.

It's the one on Fort Lauderdale Blvd. Please tell me it's the nice one. I'm not expecting 5 star or anything but just tell me there aren't any cockroaches crawling around. :confused:

This one? 999 Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/fllsb

That's the okay one... It's an older hotel, not 5-star by any means but it's fine. It's been a while since I've been in there, but it was clean and I didn't see any bugs or anything. ;)

The location is great, about 10-15 minutes from Port Everglades, 20 minutes from the airport. It's right across the street from a nice beach and all of the rooms are ocean view. There are several restaurants within walking distance, as well as the Galleria Mall... http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/

This one? 999 Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/fllsb

That's the okay one... It's an older hotel, not 5-star by any means but it's fine. It's been a while since I've been in there, but it was clean and I didn't see any bugs or anything. ;)

The location is great, about 10-15 minutes from Port Everglades, 20 minutes from the airport. It's right across the street from a nice beach and all of the rooms are ocean view. There are several restaurants within walking distance, as well as the Galleria Mall... http://www.galleriamall-fl.com/

Thanks for the input - can I bug you for one more thing though? Should I take the hotel shuttle ($15) from the airport and to the pier or would I be better off with a taxi?

Personally I'd just take a taxi because it's more convenient and I hate waiting around for a shuttle to arrive. As far as cost goes though, if that $15 is per person and there are more in your group than one person then a taxi would be cheaper. If you're travelling alone then it could be close price wise.

We always get in late.. Like the Idea of the Hotel coming to get us.. not going to walk anywhere at night. Great staff..

As fare as the shuttle. I just called yesterday and they still have the shuttle. I will check again as it gets closer to our cruise.

The taxi far is only around $10 anyways.. so no biggie.. but I did like the hotel coming to get us late at night from the airport.

My dad stayed in the AmericaSuites and said he would not go back.

I am staying in the EMBASSY SUITES HOTEL FT. LAUD 17TH ST. Is this the one everyone is saying bad things about or is that the other one???

I have stayed in many of embassy suites and found them nice any info would be a big help.

No, you're fine... IMO the Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale isn't bad. It's a bit worn, but it's currently being remodeled. All the rooms are suppose to be done by the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

My DH & I stayed here this past April & I would stay there again. It wasn't like a 5 star or even maybe a 4 star hotel, & even though the room & hotel weren't like a perfect brand new look, it was clean, the bed was comfortable & the view from the window was great! The hotel didn't have a hot tub & we didn't use the pool, but there were many people who did & I asked a couple of them how it was & they said it was a great pool. The day of our cruise we took an early morning walk along the beach. The beach in that location is well kept up & waves were nice. There are a couple of fun little shops on Beach Blvd by the hotel. Around the corner going west from the hotel is a 7-11. And about 2 blocks west over the bridge (I'm out of shape & it was an easy walk for me) is the Double Tree? hotel where you can pick up the Water Taxi (great bargain!). We only stayed the 1 day pre-cruise but wished we'd arrived a day earlier. They also had a room service menu with VERY reasonable prices for breakfast. We didn't try it, however. Not enough time. The only neg abt the hotel is I could only see 1 elevator. We only booked about a month or two before our cruise (I know...very dumb) but only pd a little over $100 which I though was WELL WORTH it! I feel we really lucked out finding this hotel & again I WOULD STAY THERE AGAIN. :)

Archived