Cariloha - buy in St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

Ginnyfyr

How's this for a last minute inquiry - it's 10:20 pm and we're getting picked up at 6:45 am to fly to Ft. Lauderdale for our Royal Princess cruise on Sunday! On to my question, lol.

We have a set of bamboo sheets ordered from Cariloha in Alaska this past May. Absolutely love them - I would happily toss all my other sheets if I could sleep on these every night, which of course, isn't very practical. So, we plan to purchase 3 sets on this cruise - 1 for us, 1 for MIL, 1 for a friend. We'll visit St. Thomas and then St. Maarten on this cruise. My thinking is that we might get a better deal in St. Thomas since I'm sure they're aware of itineraries and will know we're heading off to St. Maarten the next day to possibly spend our money there. Hubby thinks we might get a better deal in St. Maarten...I can't even remember his rationale for this at the moment ;) We do plan to take advantage of their free shipping so we don't have to add the weight of 3 sets of sheets to our luggage on the way home. So, given all of that, where would you buy the sheets - St. Thomas or St. Maarten? Or, does it really not matter as neither shop gives great deals?

How's this for a last minute inquiry - it's 10:20 pm and we're getting picked up at 6:45 am to fly to Ft. Lauderdale for our Royal Princess cruise on Sunday! On to my question, lol.

We have a set of bamboo sheets ordered from Cariloha in Alaska this past May. Absolutely love them - I would happily toss all my other sheets if I could sleep on these every night, which of course, isn't very practical. So, we plan to purchase 3 sets on this cruise - 1 for us, 1 for MIL, 1 for a friend. We'll visit St. Thomas and then St. Maarten on this cruise. My thinking is that we might get a better deal in St. Thomas since I'm sure they're aware of itineraries and will know we're heading off to St. Maarten the next day to possibly spend our money there. Hubby thinks we might get a better deal in St. Maarten...I can't even remember his rationale for this at the moment ;) We do plan to take advantage of their free shipping so we don't have to add the weight of 3 sets of sheets to our luggage on the way home. So, given all of that, where would you buy the sheets - St. Thomas or St. Maarten? Or, does it really not matter as neither shop gives great deals?

I would guess that the prices would be the same. The only difference is that if you are buying other things, especially expensive jewelry or watches, you get double the duty free allowance when you re-enter the US. That's $1600 per person when merchandise is purchased in St Thomas vs $800 per person if purchased anywhere else.

I just wish they sold sheets with more designs. Enjoy!

Don't want to disappoint you but although they are wonderful to sleep in, bamboo sheets do not last ! They wear out very fast, too much for me anyway !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got off a cruise and went to both St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Both stores have the exact same pricing so I don’t think you should have an issue getting it from one store or the other. My sheets arrived home shortly after I got home and when I opened them I had a little snag on my pillow case when they were delivered which I was a worried about so I called the customer service and they were so helpful in replacing them. I sleep on these bamboo beauties every night and cant wait to go on another cruise just to get them again.

I recently got off a cruise and went to both St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Both stores have the exact same pricing so I don’t think you should have an issue getting it from one store or the other. My sheets arrived home shortly after I got home and when I opened them I had a little snag on my pillow case when they were delivered which I was a worried about so I called the customer service and they were so helpful in replacing them. I sleep on these bamboo beauties every night and cant wait to go on another cruise just to get them again.

Just curious, did you pay a lot for them ?

I would guess that the prices would be the same. The only difference is that if you are buying other things, especially expensive jewelry or watches, you get double the duty free allowance when you re-enter the US. That's $1600 per person when merchandise is purchased in St Thomas vs $800 per person if purchased anywhere else.

I just wish they sold sheets with more designs. Enjoy!

this applies to US Citizens, poster is Canadian

I don't understand your post????

The duty free/tax free allowance of $800/1600 referred to in the quote applies to American residents that are returning to the US. The OP is Canadian, and assuming that they are returning to Canada, as I am sure you know, the Canadian limit applies. Canada does not provide any additional duty free/tax free limit for good purchased in St Thomas.

Edited by itsjb1

The duty free/tax free allowance of $800/1600 referred to in the quote applies to American residents that are returning to the US. The OP is Canadian, and assuming that they are returning to Canada, as I am sure you know, the Canadian limit applies. Canada does not provide any additional duty free/tax free limit for good purchased in St Thomas.

thanks, i couldn't of said it any better.

I also noticed the original poster said that the store offered free shipping. I have a feeling too that it is free shipping only to Americans as I find it rarely includes international shipping in that bonus.

Yes, you are right ! Only the $800! But it's OK for me...

thanks, i couldn't of said it any better.

I also noticed the original poster said that the store offered free shipping. I have a feeling too that it is free shipping only to Americans as I find it rarely includes international shipping in that bonus.

Where is the store? I want a set lol!

• 3 weeks later...
They are bedding sets made out of a mix of bamboo fiber and cotton. Most comfortable thing I've slept in in my entire life. !!! Downside is they don't last as long as only cotton

They are amazing and in my experience the price is the same in different ports (At least it was b/w Key west and Cozumel). As for them not lasting, they're guaranteed for life by the company. According to them they will replace any snags, tears, wearing, etc guaranteed. They are so soft and comfortable.

They are amazing and in my experience the price is the same in different ports (At least it was b/w Key west and Cozumel). As for them not lasting, they're guaranteed for life by the company. According to them they will replace any snags, tears, wearing, etc guaranteed. They are so soft and comfortable.

Oh great ! The brand I had bought were not this one.... Still slept like a baby!

• 2 weeks later...
If you buy at Cariloha they will ship it home for you for free (we were just in Nassau and they were offering that). If you check on your ship you can probably get a coupon for $25 off a set of sheets.

Thanks for the info! I wonder if they ship in Canada as well... We are leaving next week, can't wait!