GST Refund

Is the GST refund scheme available on overseas cruises departing Australia like they do at airports? I'm going on a South Pacific cruise in a few weeks time and I'm thinking about buying a $600 camera before the cruise. I know this will count towards the tax free amount I can bring back to Australia at the end of the cruise.

Is the GST refund scheme available on overseas cruises departing Australia like they do at airports? I'm going on a South Pacific cruise in a few weeks time and I'm thinking about buying a $600 camera before the cruise. I know this will count towards the tax free amount I can bring back to Australia at the end of the cruise.

make sure you bring the receipt and camera with you to show customs

• 2 years later...
If we leave Sydney but then stop in Fremantle as our last stop in Australia, will the GST refund be done in Sydney or do we have to wait until Fremantle to get that sorted?

If you stay on the ship past Freemantle and go to an overseas port you will be able to claim back the Gst (if you meet the spending requirements) which you will do in Sydney at the OPT or Whitebay.

I'm sailing all the way to Singapore. So will the formalities be done in Sydney even though we still have other Australian ports ahead of us before we finally leave Australia and head to another country?

yes that is right...

There will be no TRS in Sydney if your ship is visiting another port in Australia before heading overseas...

Once we had to wait till we got to Darwin and the second time it was in Brisbane...

the only problem can be if you are touring and you don't get back to the ship in time.... in Darwin they come onto the ship for a couple of hours to do the processing... we just missed them, we were racing up the gangway whilst they were walking off... grrrr...