Diamond Princess - gluten free

PollyLong

I am thinking of booking the Christmas cruise departing Sydney on the 22/12/14 and would appreciate any info/feedback. I have coeliac disease and require a gluten free diet - I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me if gluten free options are available at the various dining rooms on board. My husband walks with the aid of a walking stick - again, any info would be terrific. Many thanks!

On the first evening speak with your headwaiter or the maitre d' in your choice of dining room. He will work with you to provide gluten free foods for you including modifying some of the regular menu items to be gluten free.

The first evening he will have to work with what is available that night. But he will bring you the menus (B,L,D) for the next day to make your selction that meet your needs. Each subsequent evening he will meet with you again to plan the next day's meals.

Yes, your waitstaff should be aware of your needs, but only the headwaiter and maitre d' can actually order the foods you need.

If you plan to eat at a specialty restaurant, see the headwaiter there a day in advance.

If you want Pizza, speak with the Pizza booth person a day in advance.

If you are eating in the buffet, speak with a headwaiter there each time you go in. Do not rely on anything anyone else working there tells you.

Many people needing a gluten free diet successfully cruise on Princess.

Princess is very accommodating to people with dietary needs. I have sailed gluten free successfully. After you book your cruise, go to the Cruise Personalizer, click on "special requests" and indicate your need for gluten free. As mentioned above, once you have established yourself in the dining room, ask for the head waiter. He or she will advise you the first day, and give you the next day's menus to preorder. If you are doing anytime dining, it is a little easier to go to the same dining room with the same head waiter, but not completely necessary. You just tell them you have preordered, and they will find the order by your cabin number. The only frustration for me is eating at the buffet. You are supposed to ask for the head waiter to help you with gluten-free selections. Honestly, there aren't a lot of them. I agree with above - most of the buffet staff appear to be clueless about gluten issues. I have gotten lots of different responses about the salad dressings. I plan to bring my own individual packets next time to save frustration. It's also a good idea to bring some gluten-free bars for when you are at various ports and not sure if local food offerings are safe.

Edited by gsmiles4u