San Pedro Port - Left Luggage and Evening Shuttles

Flossie1

We dock at San Pedro Pier 93 on 5 March and have been told that disembarkation and all cases will need to be collected before 11am. As we would like to spend some time in San Pedro/Long Beach before heading to LAX. We would be grateful of advice on where we would be able to leave our luggage; what's worth seeing or doing in San Pedro/Long Beach (we've already done QM1); and if we would not be able to pick up a shuttle around 5pm at the port what alternative transport can we take.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You'll probably not be wanting to hang around the pier itself until 5pm. If you get a taxi to the Aquarium, you can tour that while your luggage is held, or drop off your luggage there (but I imagine you will have to pay the admission price) and grab the free bus to Shoreline Village. I don't know if there's anyplace in San Pedro that will hold your luggage while you visit the tourist places there. But even if you do find a place to keep your luggage, you don't have to return to the port just to get a shuttle to one of the airports...they'll pick you up from anywhere.

You'll probably not be wanting to hang around the pier itself until 5pm. If you get a taxi to the Aquarium' date=' you can tour that while your luggage is held, or drop off your luggage there (but I imagine you will have to pay the admission price) and grab the free bus to Shoreline Village. I don't know if there's anyplace in San Pedro that will hold your luggage while you visit the tourist places there. But even if you do find a place to keep your luggage, you don't have to return to the port just to get a shuttle to one of the airports...they'll pick you up from anywhere.[/quote']

Hi Cruisin Chick and SadieN

Thanks for the advice. I called the Aquarium and they agreed to store our luggage. I'll check out the Village and shuttles, but by the sound of Cruisin Chick's Hawaii trip, we need to avoid Prime Time.

Also, Cruisin Chick, my brother says he'd like one of those Hawaiian ladies that you stick on the car dasboard, apparently Starsky and Hutch had one in their car. Do you recall if they are easy to pick up in the islands?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice. I called the Aquarium and they agreed to store our luggage. I'll check out the Village and shuttles, but by the sound of Cruisin Chick's Hawaii trip, we need to avoid Prime Time.

Thanks again!

Not taking away from Cruisin Chick's comments on PT Shuttle at all. That said, she had a very bad experience about 5 years ago that could have happened on Super Shuttle. Point is, both are equally awful at times and excellent at other times. (I just had a bad experience on SS). Execucar is more expensive but less "hit and miss"...price vs. convenience/performance like any other consumer purchase.

Also, Cruisin Chick, my brother says he'd like one of those Hawaiian ladies that you stick on the car dasboard, apparently Starsky and Hutch had one in their car. Do you recall if they are easy to pick up in the islands?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info on the Aquarium. Nice to know they will still store luggage.

The hula girl can be found at all the souviner shops. The biggest chain is the ABC Stores. They are all over the islands.

Our flight is at 400pm. How much travel time should I allow from the aquarium to LAX. I am concerned about traffic. Would there be a lot of traffic from San Pedro Pier to the aquarium 900am in the morning?

I just checked Google maps for the current time (2:40pm) between the Aquarium and LAX and it said about a half hour. But I would pad in a lot of time there. Plus add the time that you actually need to be there, go through security, etc.

Definitely go to Hilo Hatties and the ABC Stores. Top places for Hawaiian "crap" um "souvenirs." If you come across a Walmart there, they should have a major section for Hawaiian souvenirs. Last year, we were at the Hilo Walmart on Christmas Eve (which was just as well, as it was pouring) and bought Hawaiian shirts, candy and cheap jewelry and hair ornaments.

And it you want to have a reliable shuttle, do go for the private shuttle services even if they cost a little more.

Our flight is at 400pm. How much travel time should I allow from the aquarium to LAX. I am concerned about traffic. Would there be a lot of traffic from San Pedro Pier to the aquarium 900am in the morning?

LAX needs pax to be there 2 hours for domestic (3 hours for international) so you would need to leave the Aquarium no later than 1:30. Latest 1pm would be better. Once took us 45 minutes to get to the TBIt terminal at the end of the LAX's horseshoe.

• 1 month later...

How much is the taxi from the aquarium to LAX. I was considering renting a van thru Supershuttle since my flight does not leave until 4 and we dock at San Pedro around 7. Does anyone know how much time I would have to tour Santa Monica pier and make it to LAX by 2

How much is the taxi from the aquarium to LAX. I was considering renting a van thru Supershuttle since my flight does not leave until 4 and we dock at San Pedro around 7. Does anyone know how much time I would have to tour Santa Monica pier and make it to LAX by 2

Just want to clarify that the aquarium we were talking about above is the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. It's not near Santa Monica.

You can use this site to estimate taxi costs and times (these are actually based on the time you're using it so it is an estimate -- you might want to plug in the addresses about the same time of day, so you can try noon on a Thursday if that fits -- but always pad in time for any construction or accidents). http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=LA

Taxi fare from Long Beach to LAX will be about $60.

Taxi from San Pedro to the Aquarium will be about $20-$30.

You will not be able to do both the Pier and the Aquarium with the amount of time you have. There is no luggage storage at the pier.

Edited by SadieN