1st timers - need newark hotel for pre cruise

Royjan

We have twice used the Hilton Garden Staten Island for our precruise hotel. They offer a shuttle to and from the hotel which is included in the price.

There is also a Hampton Inn next to the Hilton Garden which also offers transportation to and from the port.

We have twice used the Hilton Garden Staten Island for our precruise hotel. They offer a shuttle to and from the hotel which is included in the price.

There is also a Hampton Inn next to the Hilton Garden which also offers transportation to and from the port.

Thanks, I checked out both hotels, neither offered 5 person room/suite. But for 4 or less - I got $150/night, very good deal with free shuttle - airport p/u+ port drop off?

Edited by SpokaneDan

Hampton does have a suite available for 5-6 people for 4/4 for $262.

However, I would caution you about a late night arrival for this hotel. This hotel is on Staten Island about 20 minutes from the airport and they will do pickups based on your arrival time but do not run a continuous shuttle service. One cruiser reported that their late night flight was late and they had to pay for a cab to Staten Island.

IMO you're better off staying at the airport and booking Independent

Driver to get to the port.

Carol:

I am booking returning flight, and trying to decide b/w EWR and LGA. From Jersey City Courtyard, I know EWR is closer to LGA. The prices from either airport are essentially the same, but LGA leaves one hour later (8:30am vs. 7:30am) and has one hour shorter flying time. What would you recommend?

Dan,

What day of the week would you be flying back?

EWR is much closer to Jersey City and can be reached by local roads if necessary. It is also the "wrong way" at rush hour. To get to LGA you have to get through the Holland Tunnel, through Manhattan, across the East River, and out to LGA.

Perhaps some of the New Yorkers can comment.

Carol:

I am booking returning flight, and trying to decide b/w EWR and LGA. From Jersey City Courtyard, I know EWR is closer to LGA. The prices from either airport are essentially the same, but LGA leaves one hour later (8:30am vs. 7:30am) and has one hour shorter flying time. What would you recommend?

I would think EWR is closer. It is definitely a cheaper cab ride, being in the same state. I'd choose Newark.

thank you all, I was just about to book EWR departure, and noticed LGA's price drop. Now it's > $250 cheaper (for the family) to leave from LGA on Sat. 8:30am (April. 12). I checked a car service, and price difference b/w EWR and LGA from Jersey City was $30+, and looks like a 15 min. ride vs. 30 min. ride (per Google).

I am going with LGA, unless any of you see a problem with above.

That's a significant price drop. You're flying out on a Saturday morning when traffic should be better and according to a previous post you will get home an hour later. Spend the extra money on a car service and go for it!

Thank you to all the contributers of that very interesting thread.

We are also 1st timers to NYC area. We will cruise on the Summit on August 24th. We are coming from Montreal City and still hesitate about coming by plane or car (about 7 hours drive, including stops ar border, food, fuel). We also plan to arrive the night before and stay 2-3 nights after.

A few years ago, visiting Washington, we stayed in an Arlington hotel with free parking, very close to a metro station with direct access to the Mall; we found that much more convenient than to have to drive downtown. Would like to do the same from Newark or Bayonne for NYC.

Suggestions of hotels close to the port and public transit to NYC were very useful.

By the way, what is the difference between what you call PATH, light rail and WTC train?

Coming by car or by plane is a major decision. The care and feeding of a car in the NYC area is expensive. Not having a car can also be expensive when you start paying to run all over the area.

There is really nothing that is directly comparable to what you found in Arlington.

For the first night I would consider a hotel at Newark Airport. Free hotel shuttle if you fly and free parking for up to 14 days if you drive. You pay for a car service to the port and either a car service or a shuttle back from the port.

For the last few nights I would look at the Secaucus or Jersey City hotels that have good access to NYC. You can pick up your car and drive there or take a car service directly there from the port. The Secaucus area has malls and restaurants and excellent bus access to NY.

PATH is a subway system in NJ that connects to both midtown and downtown NY (this would be the WTC stop at the World Trade Center). Search PATH NJ to find their web site for a map. Path services the Jersey City hotels via the Newport and Exchange Place stops.

The light rail is a relatively new tram system that basically connects the NJ towns along the Hudson River and intersects with Path at several points. Search for NJTransit to find the light rail map. The Bayonne 34th St stop is right at the entrance to the port, but you must take a cab to access the port.

If you can make a car/plane decision, that would help us give you the appropriate advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I'm coming from Canada with a group of 20 people. We are flying into Newark one day early for our cruise on December 27 2014. Some members of my group would like to just stay in the hotel others would like to venture out and maybe head in to NYC. What hotel or area would be best? I'm the group planner but I have never cruised out of New Jersey before. Thanks for any help it's greatly appreciated!

Are you doing all the arranging for 20 people? I don't envy you that task!

The best place to stay is probably one of the airport hotels. Folks who want to stay in the hotel can do that and folks who want to go to NYC can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, Airtrain to Newark Airport Station, and NJ transit into New York Penn Station for $25/pp rt.

What is your budget? For folks just staying in the hotel, you should look at the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth like Marriott Courtyard, Residence Inn, or Country Inns. These hotels are next to Jersey Gardens Mall.

Are you doing all the arranging for 20 people? I don't envy you that task!

The best place to stay is probably one of the airport hotels. Folks who want to stay in the hotel can do that and folks who want to go to NYC can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport, Airtrain to Newark Airport Station, and NJ transit into New York Penn Station for $25/pp rt.

What is your budget? For folks just staying in the hotel, you should look at the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth like Marriott Courtyard, Residence Inn, or Country Inns. These hotels are next to Jersey Gardens Mall.

Yes I have the unfortunate task of doing all the planning from per cruise to post cruise. I try to find the best deal but really my group is pretty good at not complaining about cost they are just happy they are not doing any work lol. Would the Marriott courtyard have an airport shuttle? And how much would it be for transportation to the cruise port? Thank you so much for your help!

The Marriott Courtyard (Elizabeth) would have an airport shuttle.

How much luggage would your group have? I haven't done any arrangements for large groups. A car service would be about $50-60 for 4 people. You could try calling Independent Driver to see if they can handle 20 people. 888-816-0973

Have you considered using a travel agent to book the hotel and port transportation? You are a very large group and should be eligible for some discounts which you may not be able to get booking privately.

I would call Country Inns to get a quote for your rooms and port transportation. They offer a cruise package - port transportation is $35/pp round trip which is a good deal. When they know how many people are going to the port, they arrange for the appropriate sized bus to do that. CI also offers free breakfast.

The Marriott Courtyard (Elizabeth) would have an airport shuttle.

How much luggage would your group have? I haven't done any arrangements for large groups. A car service would be about $50-60 for 4 people. You could try calling Independent Driver to see if they can handle 20 people. 888-816-0973

Have you considered using a travel agent to book the hotel and port transportation? You are a very large group and should be eligible for some discounts which you may not be able to get booking privately.

I would call Country Inns to get a quote for your rooms and port transportation. They offer a cruise package - port transportation is $35/pp round trip which is a good deal. When they know how many people are going to the port, they arrange for the appropriate sized bus to do that. CI also offers free breakfast.

I'm guessing two pieces plus carry on for each person. I'm hoping that it is a lot less though. I called both Marriott and Country Inns and Marriott was $30 cheaper plus they have a shuttle from the airport. I need ten rooms to be considered a group and only have seven rooms. I just need to get the group from the hotel to the port once. I'm going to make everyone buy a transfer back to the airport from the ship.

I have a travel agent but I'm pretty good and making these arrangements and I can find the same if not better prices as my agent. I have organized group trips before but they were all out of Florida. New Jersey is throwing me a curve ball.

Thank you for all your help. You saved me a whole day of researching and calling. I'm going to work on transportation to the port next.

What time are flights from Newark for your group?

When folks get off the ship, they can go to the taxi dispatcher and get a shared ride to the airport for $17/pp. The cruise transfer is going to be a lot more than that.

I'm still waiting on airlines to either get back to me about a group rate or to release schedules. I will probably get a flight after 12 just to be safe. I did call a car company and it was $265 one way for 20 people. I might just use them to return to the airport as well. I like to use the ship transfer for convenience but if it's really over priced I will look else where.

• 2 weeks later...
I am so relieved about your budget. Rooms accommodating five people at Newark Airport are super scarce. Please look at the Marriott Courtyard Elizabeth which I am seeing for $169 + tax for five people and book it immediately. This hotel is very popular with cruisers and gets excellent reviews.

The only other option I found is Howard Johnson's which has disgusting Trip Advisor reviews and I could not in good conscience recommend it to you.

For port transportation you can call Independent driver - 888-816-0973 about 4-6 weeks out. Transportation should be in the $60+ tip range for the five of you.

Sorry to jump in..... I'm breaking my head over our plans as our trip just went from 4 people to nine people, one being a family of five.....will this plan work for us going to manhattan cruise terminal as well? I'm assuming only difference would be cost of transport to NYC would be higher than Bayonne, right?

You've posted a random question on another thread. Please start a new thread and give us all the details - number of people, number of rooms, exact dates and length of your cruise. (I assume from your posts that your are sailing out of Manhattan), and budget. Are you looking to park at the port or are you looking for a park/sleep? Where are you coming from?

To answer your specific question here, the post is still valid. Rooms for 5 in the NY metro area are difficult.