Question about bringing Wine onboard the Dawn

aimathy

This is our first NCL cruise, so I just had a quick question. I noticed in the FAQ section, that it says you're allowed to bring wine or other alcohol on board. It doesn't say that there's a limit to the number of bottles you can bring. Then it mentions that when you consume the alcohol in a dining room, public area or STATEROOM you will be charged a $15 corkage fee.

How in the world do they know when you're drinking it in your room? Is this like a fun sleuthing game where they check your bags, your garbage and your hidden spots while you're not there, to see what was there before and then after? :) Can someone clarify their policy for me?

Thank you!!

You'll pay the corkage fee the day of embarkation. Bring the wine with you as you go through security, they'll see the wine (or just tell them you have it), and they'll direct you over to a table with an NCL staffer. They'll ask your room number and will fill out a document detailing the name of each wine, the charge, and will have you sign it. You'll then see the corkage cost on your itemized on your cruise acct as a charge through one of the restaurants.

My DW and I bring wine on board every cruise and pay the corkage - it's no big deal.

Enjoy!

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

. . .Can someone clarify their policy for me?

Thank you!!

Pretty much carry on any quantity of wine as you desire, and you'll be paying the $15 on each and every bottle right that at the embarkation port . . . no matter if you are planning to consume it in your cabin, the dining room, or any place else.

Enjoy your cruise!! :)

Thanks! I didn't realize it was an up-front fee. So, I may not get many replies now that this is a question-within-a-question.....but if you're buying a fairly inexpensive bottle of wine ($15) and then pay a $15 fee on top of that, wouldn't it just be easier to buy one of their bottles? Can anyone tell me what they prefer and why? Thanks!

. . . I may not get many replies now that this is a question-within-a-question.....but if you're buying a fairly inexpensive bottle of wine ($15) and then pay a $15 fee on top of that, wouldn't it just be easier to buy one of their bottles?

Easier??

Oh, most definitely!

Less expensive, or even equal in cost??

Most definitely not (or at least from my perspective).

The bottles I carry on are either a brand NCL doesn't carry on their list, or they have a markup that I consider high enough to warrant my effort to bring my own.

@ the original post

It is wine only, not "wine or other alcohol". You cannot bring liquor and beer on board. If they detect it in your luggage, they will confiscate it until the last night or even morning.

We purchased 2 liters of rum "bar setup" before boarding -- then discovered you CAN buy a bottle on board. If you buy it through NCL Group Events there is a $3/bottle fee. If you buy it on board you pay 15% gratuity... liquor bottles are $80/$100/$120 depending on brand and type, so you save from $9 to $15 per bottle by doing it ahead of time.

And yes I know that $83 is a heck of a price for a liter of Captain Morgan and three cans of coke, but do the math -- NCL bars pour 1.5oz shots, and the two rum-and-diet-cokes I ordered during shows were about $6.70 apiece. There are about 22 shots of that size in a liter = $147 to $154 (if you round up the tip as I do). Also we could "pour" 2 oz shots to get the flavor right, make zero-carb mojitos or 'daiquiris' using Crystallite, and basically cocoon in our spacious balcony room. Which we did. You can also make your drink in your room and take it to the theater or lounge, which I didn't do. The glasses (in the room) seemed too small to make it worth the trouble.

Sorry to derail the wine discussion, just thought I should correct the "or other alcohol" misstatement. Then I got off on another option for alcohol consumption!

ETA: wine list here:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_071513.pdf

It's the fleetwide "gift" list but representative of what's on board.

Edited by crystalspin

Thanks! I didn't realize it was an up-front fee. So, I may not get many replies now that this is a question-within-a-question.....but if you're buying a fairly inexpensive bottle of wine ($15) and then pay a $15 fee on top of that, wouldn't it just be easier to buy one of their bottles? Can anyone tell me what they prefer and why? Thanks!

It's a case of deciding for yourself if it is worth it. Some carry wine on that NCL doesn't carry. Some wines + $15 are cheaper, therefore, worth it to some people to carry it on and then just pay the corkage fee.

I don't bother since NCL carries the wine we like and if I purchase it pre-cruise and add the $15, there is only a couple of dollars one way or the other (depending on store I buy it in). So we just purchase ours on the ship.

If you go to http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/gifts-and-more#winelist and choose fleetwide wine list, you will have an idea on how much NCL charges for wines onboard and can make an informed decision.

Sorry didn't realize the poster above had already given you the wine list

Edited by che5904

In September the Dawn had a wine pkg. option for 6 or 12 bottles. We had intended trying it out but the wine pkgs differ or are nonexistent on each ship. We were going to do the 4 bottle but that wasn't an option, 6 was too much.

We did do the 4 bottle on the Breakaway in December but they had changed the wine brand and I ended up with one I didn't care for not the one I liked. I don't like lugging it onboard but much prefer that than having something I don't enjoy. JMO :)

I just returned from the Star yesterday. I learned about the process from the boards here. I'll share my experience with you I lined my suitcase with a 55 gal. Trash bag so I wouldn't ruin the case in case anything broke. Wrapped each of the 10 bottles (wine and champagne) in bubble wrap and wine bags. This was a carry on size suit case weighing in at 45+ lbs. I asked the airline to put a very large Fragile sticker on the bag and everything made it safely. It didn't appear that TSA was in my bag either.

When I arrived at the port I put my bag through the securiy scanner and told them what was in the bag. The directed me to a table for the corkage fee. He saw I had the bottles wrapped so he asked for how many I had, handed me 10 stickers and a receipt I signed. I put the stickers on myself. I stored 8 of them in restaurants around the ship.

I already owned mine so even though I paid $150 corkage it was a huge savings for me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

You'll pay the corkage fee the day of embarkation. Bring the wine with you as you go through security, they'll see the wine (or just tell them you have it), and they'll direct you over to a table with an NCL staffer. They'll ask your room number and will fill out a document detailing the name of each wine, the charge, and will have you sign it. You'll then see the corkage cost on your itemized on your cruise acct as a charge through one of the restaurants.

My DW and I bring wine on board every cruise and pay the corkage - it's no big deal.

So then do you take it to the restaurant on the 1st night? I'm sure my husband would find this gauche of me!

:D

So then do you take it to the restaurant on the 1st night?
You can, or you can take it to one of the bars ahead of time and ask them to store it for you (and chill it, if applicable) so you can order it later in any of the dining rooms or restaurants. I think they will give you some kind of receipt or ID slip for the bottle so they can find it again when you want it. (ETA: In case it's not clear, you go to dinner wherever and you tell your server that you have a bottle in storage, and give him/her the ID slip. You don't have to go fetch it yourself and bring it with you to your table. They'll bring it to you and serve it as if it were a bottle from the normal wine menu. If you don't finish it, they'll take it back to storage for you, or you can choose to take it with you.) Edited by hawkeyetlse

This is our first NCL cruise, so I just had a quick question. I noticed in the FAQ section, that it says you're allowed to bring wine or other alcohol on board. It doesn't say that there's a limit to the number of bottles you can bring. Then it mentions that when you consume the alcohol in a dining room, public area or STATEROOM you will be charged a $15 corkage fee.

How in the world do they know when you're drinking it in your room? Is this like a fun sleuthing game where they check your bags, your garbage and your hidden spots while you're not there, to see what was there before and then after? :) Can someone clarify their policy for me?

Thank you!!

I find it so difficult to pay the wine prices on board, that I usually pay a corkage. I can get a good bottle of wine here (California) for 7 dollars. They charge 34 dollars for the same bottle on the NCL wine list. That does not count the 15% tip on top of that! In my younger days...I used to sneak it on board, but now that I travel with a child...I have no interest doing the walk of shame when they catch me. I used my foodsaver to seal the bottles before I traveled last time in case of spills. While this was great for travel, it held up the corkage line because they wanted to unwrap and place a sticker on each bottle (so sorry other passengers behind me in line!!). I am considering shipping the wine to our pre-night hotel this time...I just need to see if the state laws allow it. I am still not convinced it is worth the hassle...but the mark up seems slightly obnoxious to me...especially after the mandatory gratuity.

If you are a red drinker and like your wine decanted, you can also ask the matre'd at one of the restaurants or dining rooms to decant the wine and have it breathing for you when you arrive. They will also be willing to bring a decanter to the table, if you want to do the honors yourself or only want to decant part of the bottle.

I thought you were allowed to bring 1 bottle per person for free, then any others you would pay the corkage fee. That is what we did with Princess in October. Has NCL always had this policy?

Yes, NCL has always had this policy.

Edited by Demonyte