On board Wi Fi Dream

CRocks

Sailing Sat on the Dream. Have always missed bein able to post pics while aboard so my GF's daughter loaned us her laptop. My question is, do I need any special password or login sequence to get on the ships wireless internet. Pretty good with computers, but never used a wireless laptop. THANX!

No just lots of $$$ for wifi

Here are Carnival's rates

• 480 minutes for $159

• 240 minutes for $89

• 120 minutes for $59

• 45 minutes for $29

• Pay As You Go: $0.75/min

And it is MUCH slower than a land connection so you might want to limit the number of photos that you upload from the ship until you figure out how much time/money it is going to take.

Edited by Mysticks1

Some time in the very near future Carnival is switching service providers. When that happens, I expect significantly faster speeds, and quite likely new and better pricing plans.

Alas, I just asked JH about it on his Facebook page last week, and he said an announcement would be made in the next few weeks… which suggests we won't actually see it on the Dream when we sail on the 11th.

Still, cross your fingers -- it *could* happen on the Dream first, considering that the new satellite internet provider is located in Melbourne, FL, which means the Port Canaveral ships potentially will get the new setup first.

Oh, and to answer the original question -- no passwords for the Wifi connection -- you just select the ship's Wifi (available just about everywhere on board), and you're connected.

But if you want to go outside of a few specific websites (the FunHub, which is the ship's site, carnival.com, and a few others…), you'll need to click on the link on the main FunHub web page to connect to the outside world. It'll prompt you to make an account, link it to your sign and sail portfolio, and either buy a plan or pay for things minute by minute. After you make your account, you log into it any time you want outside access to start billing.

But VERY important no matter what plan you choose -- *always* remember to follow the log off instructions or it will continue to bill you minutes even if your laptop is put to sleep or shut down.

If all you want is to upload a bunch of photos, though - you may be better off waiting until a port, finding free or less expensive WiFi at the port, and using that instead. Nassau has free wifi in the main building at the port - although it's often overloaded by all the crew and passengers using it. St. Thomas has some cafes with WiFi, but I found awesome free high speed WiFi at Paradise Point last time I was there. No idea about St. Maarten -- didn't go looking for Wifi when I went there last.

Oh, and to answer the original question -- no passwords for the Wifi connection -- you just select the ship's Wifi (available just about everywhere on board), and you're connected.

But if you want to go outside of a few specific websites (the FunHub, which is the ship's site, carnival.com, and a few others…), you'll need to click on the link on the main FunHub web page to connect to the outside world. It'll prompt you to make an account, link it to your sign and sail portfolio, and either buy a plan or pay for things minute by minute. After you make your account, you log into it any time you want outside access to start billing.

But VERY important no matter what plan you choose -- *always* remember to follow the log off instructions or it will continue to bill you minutes even if your laptop is put to sleep or shut down.

If all you want is to upload a bunch of photos, though - you may be better off waiting until a port, finding free or less expensive WiFi at the port, and using that instead. Nassau has free wifi in the main building at the port - although it's often overloaded by all the crew and passengers using it. St. Thomas has some cafes with WiFi, but I found awesome free high speed WiFi at Paradise Point last time I was there. No idea about St. Maarten -- didn't go looking for Wifi when I went there last.

Thanx for all the great info!

If you do that you will be paying per minute. If you first but a wifi plan like 200 minutes for $100 it's a lot less expensive. Look into wifi plans. Or you will run up a $300 Bill before you know it. Always disconnect when done to,save minutes

Sailing Sat on the Dream. Have always missed bein able to post pics while aboard so my GF's daughter loaned us her laptop. My question is, do I need any special password or login sequence to get on the ships wireless internet. Pretty good with computers, but never used a wireless laptop. THANX!

You're better off taking a smartphone or tablet with you, then when you get to one of the islands find a place that has free or minimal charge wifi. Using the ships wifi will cost way to much. You can take a computer to the island to, just more bulky to carry.