Question about Taxes and Port Fees

mysterons

We are going on a cruise to Alaska. When we booked a few months ago, the Taxes and Port fees were 139.56$ per person. Another couple wants to join us now and the Taxes are Port fees are now 169.19$ per person... Doesn't everyone pay the sampe Taxes and Port fees? Why did they go up almost 30$ per person for the exact same cruise?

The amount can fluctuate.

I just changed my rate from past guest to Early Saver, and evidently had to start all over with the reservation. Anyway, I was told that the taxes and port fees increased since the last booking, so I paid a slightly higher amount. Also, I was told that if they decrease that I would get the amount as OBC. But if they increase after booking, they will not raise the amount from what you originally paid.

• 2 months later...
The amount can fluctuate.

I just changed my rate from past guest to Early Saver, and evidently had to start all over with the reservation. Anyway, I was told that the taxes and port fees increased since the last booking, so I paid a slightly higher amount. Also, I was told that if they decrease that I would get the amount as OBC. But if they increase after booking, they will not raise the amount from what you originally paid.

Do you mean that if....by the time you sail....the taxes/fees have decreased, you will receive credit? Or do you mean you can apply for credit throughout the waiting period before your cruise, like a price drop? Because the taxes/fees on our March 2015 cruise have gone down by almost $200 since we booked it a month ago, and I would love to be able to apply for a credit!

Edited by terri-eddie
more info added

I would like to know what is changing to make the extra cost go up and down. I have had from $2.13 to $32.00 obc from reductions on every cruise I can remember. I just want to know what makes for the up and down.

I would like to know what is changing to make the extra cost go up and down. I have had from $2.13 to $32.00 obc from reductions on every cruise I can remember. I just want to know what makes for the up and down.

We've never received an OBC regarding this charge...do you have to ask for it or is it given automatically? To tell the truth, the DH is of the mind that once he pays for our cruise...he doesn't want to look to see if anyone else got it cheaper.:p How do you even know that they've changed these fees?

Swampbaby...where to you look to check?

Edited by mousey

Do you mean that if....by the time you sail....the taxes/fees have decreased, you will receive credit? Or do you mean you can apply for credit throughout the waiting period before your cruise, like a price drop? Because the taxes/fees on our March 2015 cruise have gone down by almost $200 since we booked it a month ago, and I would love to be able to apply for a credit!

Taxes have dropped $200? My taxes aren't even $200, usually they combine the gratuities and the tax on the same line which makes it look higher.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We've never received an OBC regarding this charge...do you have to ask for it or is it given automatically? To tell the truth, the DH is of the mind that once he pays for our cruise...he doesn't want to look to see if anyone else got it cheaper.:p How do you even know that they've changed these fees?

I check the price frequently by doing a mock booking, and comparing that day's price to the paperwork I received when we booked our cruise in January. The actual cruise rate on mine hasn't changed, but the fees/taxes have gone down.

I check the price frequently by doing a mock booking, and comparing that day's price to the paperwork I received when we booked our cruise in January. The actual cruise rate on mine hasn't changed, but the fees/taxes have gone down.

So, if the fees/taxes stay at that lower rate until you cruise...do you automatically get an OBC or would you have to ask for one? I'm just curious, I don't even have a clue how to do a mock booking. I'm clueless at that kind of stuff!:eek: :)

Edited by mousey

So, if the fees/taxes stay at that lower rate until you cruise...do you automatically get an OBC or would you have to ask for one? I'm just curious, I don't even have a clue how to do a mock booking. I'm clueless at that kind of stuff!:eek: :)

If the taxes and fees go down, it will be an automatic obc. The third cruise I saw a small obc when I was at the desk checking on obc that was not posted. When I got home, I checked the s&s thing from my other cruises and noticed a small obc on each of those too. They are apparently not on every cruise, but I have gotten them every time.

Do a "mock booking. That's acting like you are doing a new booking. As soon as you choose you type room I believe it shows up on the on-going summary on the right side of your screen.

Edited by Swampbaby

Taxes have dropped $200? My taxes aren't even $200, usually they combine the gratuities and the tax on the same line which makes it look higher.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have a booking for three people in one cabin. Taxes and fees when we booked were 494.61, and now they're 287.61. I was surprised to see such a huge difference, and I'm assuming it will not stay that low. That's why I was hoping I could apply for the change to be made to my booking now. If I have to wait until sailing date a year from now, that huge difference will most likely have disappeared.

We rec'd credit OBC for this on our first cruise. Port fees decreased and we got about 17.00 obc on our statement. I called to make sure and they said yes.

I believe I remember seeing a random OBC on one of our cruises for adjustments to ports fees and such. Maybe they charge port fees based on expected number of passengers, then change it as the cruise fills up or doesn't? So if more people book, it is less per passenger? I feel like some of these things are deliberately confusing. LOL

Thanks Loxley and Swamp Baby,

I'll have to tell the DH to be on the look out next time we cruise to see if we got an OBC. I never look at the bill, the DH does.:p He cries and then pays the bill and then cries some more! Not really! Just kidding.:D But next time we cruise, I'll tell him to see if we got one.

So, it sounds like they only do the credit when you sail, if the fees have gone down. That's too bad. If I booked my cruise right now, instead of last month, I'd be paying less. But I guess I'll just hope the fees stay down, and I'll get the money back next year when I cruise.