Change in Passing Time Recommendation at SJU Airport

Travel Girl TX

We really like Celebrity Summit's itinerary out of San Juan and have taken this cruise many times. Since we've been to San Juan so many times, lately we've been taking the red eye from Houston and arrive in San Juan at approximately 6:15 a.m. I've recommended to many people on Cruise Critic how to spend your time when you arrive on the red eye before boarding the ship and it always included hanging out at the airport until 8:15 a.m.

In the past, we would collect our luggage, take an elevator upstairs, and go eat breakfast and use the wifi at the McDonalds by the security entrance to terminal C. Well, we tried to do that Saturday, December 28, and the McDonalds is shut down and all evidence of it having been a McDonalds is gone.

We ended up eating breakfast at El Meson (across from the vacant McDonalds site) and then found some chairs to wait around in before taking a cab to Barrachina's to drop off our luggage so we can do our walk about Old Town before heading to the ship at 11:00. This will be our new plan for passing time before boarding the ship.

We really like Celebrity Summit's itinerary out of San Juan and have taken this cruise many times. Since we've been to San Juan so many times, lately we've been taking the red eye from Houston and arrive in San Juan at approximately 6:15 a.m. I've recommended to many people on Cruise Critic how to spend your time when you arrive on the red eye before boarding the ship and it always included hanging out at the airport until 8:15 a.m.

In the past, we would collect our luggage, take an elevator upstairs, and go eat breakfast and use the wifi at the McDonalds by the security entrance to terminal C. Well, we tried to do that Saturday, December 28, and the McDonalds is shut down and all evidence of it having been a McDonalds is gone.

We ended up eating breakfast at El Meson (across from the vacant McDonalds site) and then found some chairs to wait around in before taking a cab to Barrachina's to drop off our luggage so we can do our walk about Old Town before heading to the ship at 11:00. This will be our new plan for passing time before boarding the ship.

Thanks for this - I wish they had an airline sponsored lounge!!

what is Barrachina's that you can drop off luggage.

what is Barrachina's that you can drop off luggage.

Barrachina's is a restaurant in Old San Juan that will store your luggage from approximately 8:30 am until 5:00 pm. (Online it says 9 - 5, however, the guys working there said they'll start taking luggage as soon as one of them is there which is usually around 8:30) They don't charge a fee for this service, but you do need to leave a tip in the tip jar. Here is a link to their website. http://www.barrachina.com/indexb.php

From the airport or the port, just ask the taxi driver to take you to Barrachina's restaurant in Old San Juan, they all know where it is.

There is a taxi stand at the end of the block so it is easy to get a taxi to the port or airport.

We've been doing this for years, both before and after our cruises out of San Juan, because we come in on the red eye and always have a late afternoon/early evening flight out.

We also enjoy having a pina colada at the bar before we leave.

Hello,

What is the taxi fares from airport to Barrachina's? And then to pan am pier form the restaurant ?

Thank you

Maria

Maria,

I can't remember the exact amount for each fare, but I'm within $1 or $2 of the amount. You are charged $1 for each piece luggage and we had 2 pieces. The taxis have set fares between the various areas in and around San Juan.

Airport to Barrachinas - $26

Barrachinas to Pan America pier - $16

Theresa

Thx for sharing. We cruise in April and arrive SJU very early too. When I booked I didn't realize Summit departs later (used to cruises from FL w/4:30 sailaway). I was trying to plan for that day but this info really helps us out! Enjoy your cruise.

We are on the Summit in Nov and Dec for a back to back. Do they dock at Old San Juan or PanAm pier. We have heard different answers.

We are on the Summit in Nov and Dec for a back to back. Do they dock at Old San Juan or PanAm pier. We have heard different answers.

We've docked at the Pan America pier every time we've sailed on the Summit out of San Juan for the past six years.

Edited by Travel Girl TX