Freedom of the Seas size-does it feel crowded?

Wow, you guys are all fantastic! Such wonderful opinions and information, thank you so much! We've decided to do it...we will be in Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel. So excited!!!!

By the way, I saw on a thread about the Allure that there is a "Weekly Planner" with just an overview of what will be going on that week. Does the Freedom have something like that and does anyone have a copy that they can scan in?

Also, for anyone that sailed recently with kids, do you remember if there was a drop off on embarkation night at the kid's club, or is just orientation for the parents and kids together?

Thanks again!

Kids club starts on embarkation night. We had a rule, the kids had to have dinner with us. They were so antsy because they wanted to get back to kids club. We have traveled with our grandchildren, ages 15, 13, 9, 7, 4 and 2. They all loved kids club. The Cruise Compass is provided daily in your cabin with everything that is going on that day. I don't have one to scan but if you google Cruise Compass for Freedom I'm sure you'll find a sample. We always bring a highlighter to mark what we want to do or see. I love the your itinerary. Especially Cozumel. We took jeeps to the other side of the island and had fun riding off road then stopping for the included lunch and beach break. You are going to have a ball. And no tendering in Labadee! They've built a beautiful dock. Have fun!

Kids club starts on embarkation night. We had a rule, the kids had to have dinner with us. They were so antsy because they wanted to get back to kids club. We have traveled with our grandchildren, ages 15, 13, 9, 7, 4 and 2. They all loved kids club. The Cruise Compass is provided daily in your cabin with everything that is going on that day. I don't have one to scan but if you google Cruise Compass for Freedom I'm sure you'll find a sample. We always bring a highlighter to mark what we want to do or see. I love the your itinerary. Especially Cozumel. We took jeeps to the other side of the island and had fun riding off road then stopping for the included lunch and beach break. You are going to have a ball. And no tendering in Labadee! They've built a beautiful dock. Have fun!

On any of the cruises that we have been on there has only ever been on open house and registration for AO on the first day. All of the activities including being able to drop the kids off started on Day 2. There were some get togethers for the teens but nothing for the younger ones.

On any of the cruises that we have been on there has only ever been on open house and registration for AO on the first day. All of the activities including being able to drop the kids off started on Day 2. There were some get togethers for the teens but nothing for the younger ones.

I may be wrong, sorry if I am. The first day is always a blur!

Wow, you guys are all fantastic! Such wonderful opinions and information, thank you so much! We've decided to do it...we will be in Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel. So excited!!!!

By the way, I saw on a thread about the Allure that there is a "Weekly Planner" with just an overview of what will be going on that week. Does the Freedom have something like that and does anyone have a copy that they can scan in?

Also, for anyone that sailed recently with kids, do you remember if there was a drop off on embarkation night at the kid's club, or is just orientation for the parents and kids together?

Thanks again!

That itinerary on the Freedom was actually my first cruise. You will absolutely adore it! Don't worry about the fact that Labadee is owned by Royal Caribbean - we actually liked it for the nice beaches and complimentary lunch that is provided by the ship. Grand Cayman's 7 Mile Beach is gorgeous as well.

As Royal Caribbean is generally known for across the fleet, the ship itself will not feel crowded aside from peak times at places like the buffet or pool, though I'm sure you experienced this on the Jewel as well.

Have an amazing time! :)

Edited by hscruiser

Good to hear that your kids liked the kid's club. I have an 11 year old, and 9 year old twins, then with other family members we'll also have a 12 year old, a 13 year old, and two 16 year olds. So we will run the gammit of ages like you all did. As long as the first night's show is family friendly, it won't really matter, I was just worried about that and what to do with them if it isn't for them. I did find a Cruise Compass from Jan 2013, and it was a Welcome show, so it sounds fun.

We love to snorkel, so I think Labadee will work out just fine for us, someone else mentioned that.

We actually just went to Cozumel on our last trip, but we did the dolphin swim excursion at Chankanaab, so the jeep thing actually sounds like a great, fun option for this time around. My husband loves off roading in jeeps and dirt bikes, so that will be right up his alley!

We have done Freedom of the Seas a few times and have had a great experience each and every time...it never felt crowded to us.

We love Labadee ....we splurged last time and rented a cabana which was the best decision we ever made and well worth the extra cost!

We gave Carnival a try a couple of years ago and were very disappointed with the crowds. If we had not purchased the FTTF passes for our cabins it would have been a really bad experience. The one thing we loved about our Carnival cruise were the great port choices. :)

Good to hear that your kids liked the kid's club. I have an 11 year old, and 9 year old twins, then with other family members we'll also have a 12 year old, a 13 year old, and two 16 year olds. So we will run the gammit of ages like you all did. As long as the first night's show is family friendly, it won't really matter, I was just worried about that and what to do with them if it isn't for them. I did find a Cruise Compass from Jan 2013, and it was a Welcome show, so it sounds fun.

We love to snorkel, so I think Labadee will work out just fine for us, someone else mentioned that.

We actually just went to Cozumel on our last trip, but we did the dolphin swim excursion at Chankanaab, so the jeep thing actually sounds like a great, fun option for this time around. My husband loves off roading in jeeps and dirt bikes, so that will be right up his alley!

We have generally found the shows (other than quest and late night adult comedy) family friendly. Our children 10 and 12 have attended for the past few years and enjoyed them. The opening night show has normally been a bit of music by the band, the CD talking a bit and the comedian. Depending on the comedian they may make a few slightly adult jokes that your older kids will get but your younger ones won't. Haven't heard anything at the opening show that would have caused us to get the kids out of earshot.

Unlike Carnival, ALL the evening shows are family friendly with tasteful costumes. Late night entertainment is billed at adult and it's usually a comedian or the Love and Marriage show. They start around 10pm

The only times you will notice crowds are when they have their t- shirt sale and jewelry sales ! Also on port days, the Windjammer will be mobbed first thing in the morning with everyone trying to eat and get off the ship. Don't let this deter your decision , the Freedom is one of our favorite ships. We have been on 4 times with 2 future cruises already booked on her !

Were you on the 12/8/13 sailing? It was such a disappointment to have our time in Labadee cut so short. We had such a wonderful time there. We never felt crowded at all on the ship. I had worries about things like the 70's party on the Promenade, but even THAT didn't feel overly cramped.

Yes, 12/8/13 sailing - sorry I missed you as well! I agree the 70's party didn't feel too crowded either, but I don't think they got that big of a turnout. Where were you standing? We were just outside Cafe Promenade and it wasn't overly crowded at all.

My daughter and I sailed on the Freedom in July 2012, and thoroughly loved it! So many things to do - I posted an extensive review, with photos, HERE. You might find it helpful; I think I posted about the crowds, but because I wrote it so long ago, I can't remember!!! :p

My daughter and I sailed on the Freedom in July 2012, and thoroughly loved it! So many things to do - I posted an extensive review, with photos, HERE. You might find it helpful; I think I posted about the crowds, but because I wrote it so long ago, I can't remember!!! :p

Sherri, I have already read your review and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks so much for all the photos and details. I'm planning to read your other reviews just for fun even though I don't plan to sail the other ships anytime soon, just because I love your writing style!!!

Sherri, I have already read your review and thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks so much for all the photos and details. I'm planning to read your other reviews just for fun even though I don't plan to sail the other ships anytime soon, just because I love your writing style!!!

Oh yay, I'm glad you found it! I hope it was helpful!!!

And thank you - I had fun writing the reviews…and I apologize ahead of time that they have become EPIC novels and take forever to wade through! ;)