Fantasy misses Freeport

smokester

It's a shame so many people dismiss Freeport out of hand without researching all the beautiful places to see outside of the immediate port area. It's one of my favorite places to visit. Oh, well, less crowded beaches for me!

Not to be misunderstood, They are just happy to be on-board a ship, relaxing. They have been to Freeport many times and also enjoy visiting Grand Lucayan Beach that was their plan today , the banana boat ride there is one of their (& our) favorite things to do. But if the weather isnt being co-operative, then they are just happy being on a cruise!! :)

First off hey neighbor. We live in Murrells Inlet. Next time you take the fantasy do Paradise Cove Snorkeling. I had heard nightmares of people hating Freeport. We booked a private snorkeling trip to paradise cove. It was our first trip to Freeport and we can't wait to go back. It was very enjoyable and that side of the island is gorgeous.

It's a shame so many people dismiss Freeport out of hand without researching all the beautiful places to see outside of the immediate port area. It's one of my favorite places to visit. Oh, well, less crowded beaches for me!

We went there on our first cruise about 15 years and not at all impressed. Perhaps we should give it another try.

First off hey neighbor. We live in Murrells Inlet. Next time you take the fantasy do Paradise Cove Snorkeling. I had heard nightmares of people hating Freeport. We booked a private snorkeling trip to paradise cove. It was our first trip to Freeport and we can't wait to go back. It was very enjoyable and that side of the island is gorgeous.

Well well I guess us CC people are EVERYWHERE :D. Wish DD had not missed Freeport as we love the beaches there. Never done Paradise Cove but will next time. Us parents leave in 12 days on the Conquest, never been ANYWHERE without the kiddos! :eek:

DD is on the 5 day Fantasy cruise now. They missed Freeport today because of rough seas. Not a big deal to her but others maybe :D.

I am wondering if the passengers applauded missing Freeport. Lol. It is such an ugly, industrial looking port. It's certainly not the paradise most of us picture when thinking of tropical destinations.

CrusingGolfers & smokerster .... Are either of you members of the Murrells Inlet Yacht Club? We may know each other. :D

Back to topic ....

Honestly think the time of year you have a port stop in Freeport is a big factor in how much you'll like this port.

LuLu

~~~~

CrusingGolfers & smokerster .... Are either of you members of the Murrells Inlet Yacht Club? We may know each other. :D

Back to topic ....

Honestly think the time of year you have a port stop in Freeport is a big factor in how much you'll like this port.

LuLu

~~~~

I'm a member of the Sandy Island weekend drinking club. Does that count?:D

I think both the Carnival Sunshine and Ecstasy should be in Freeport today (I looked at a cruise timetable website for this info, so apologies if I'm wrongly informed!)

Has anyone heard or know if both ships have made it there? Guessing the time difference means they are probably still on their way there.

The reason I ask is my husband is currently on the RCCL Navigator Of The Seas on her way to dry-dock in Freeport, so I'm hoping they are able to get into the dock today. I know the weather has been quite bad and I've heard from his boss that he's got sea-sick, so it would be nice to hear from him at some point, as I've not had contact with him since he left Galveston on Sunday! :(

I think both the Carnival Sunshine and Ecstasy should be in Freeport today (I looked at a cruise timetable website for this info, so apologies if I'm wrongly informed!)

Has anyone heard or know if both ships have made it there? Guessing the time difference means they are probably still on their way there.

The reason I ask is my husband is currently on the RCCL Navigator Of The Seas on her way to dry-dock in Freeport, so I'm hoping they are able to get into the dock today. I know the weather has been quite bad and I've heard from his boss that he's got sea-sick, so it would be nice to hear from him at some point, as I've not had contact with him since he left Galveston on Sunday! :(

Hope all is well with him. what does he do for the drydock?

If you have not been to Freeport in the last year you will be surprised at the amount of business now at the port, including Senor Frogs and several other bars...

There are many shops, some great food to be had... Robertson's have great fried lobster AND $2 gallon water.

Over time, things have indeed improved. People are friendly, the dock has live music, it's clean. I've reversed, hate Nassau, it's crowds, the pushiness of vendors, store after store of junk.

Have you ever tried using a Ship Tracker website? I used this last week to see where the Fascination was when my daughter was on it. It doesn't always show the current position as the ship has to be close enough to a port to be picked up but it might help you. You put the ship name under the map options to the left side of the page for it to search. http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/home/

Hope all is well with him. what does he do for the drydock?

I've still not heard from him but hopefully will do soon!

He's an electrician by trade, but he's done all sorts on ship dry-docks, AV systems, wiring, PA system, theatre light rigs etc etc.

He's worked on a load of Carnival ships before :)

Have you ever tried using a Ship Tracker website? I used this last week to see where the Fascination was when my daughter was on it. It doesn't always show the current position as the ship has to be close enough to a port to be picked up but it might help you. You put the ship name under the map options to the left side of the page for it to search. http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/home/

Thank you so much :)

Looks like they are definitely heading in the right direction! Hopefully it won't be too much longer until they dock and I'll get a quick message from him letting me know everything is ok.....I can't make his sea-sickness better from 4000 miles away but I do worry about him! :o:o

I agree that with bad weather the ship is the better place to be. My daughter was on a cruise last week and it was overcast and raining when they were in Key West so they didn't get off there. If you do your research though there are many different opportunities at most ports and I don't book through the cruise line. I always look for something new to do at each port even if it is only spending a short time onshore.

Agree with the second half of this post completely. I love doing precruise research on every port. We always find something awesome to do off the beaten shopping circuit. We have even had people tag along becasue it seems like we know what's going on. No sympathy for people who wander off the ship and then complain that any given port had "nothing to offer"

I am wondering if the passengers applauded missing Freeport. Lol. It is such an ugly, industrial looking port. It's certainly not the paradise most of us picture when thinking of tropical destinations.

Right? Who would want this

gold-rock-beach.jpg

when you can have this

DSC_0637.jpg

If you have not been to Freeport in the last year you will be surprised at the amount of business now at the port, including Senor Frogs and several other bars...

There are many shops, some great food to be had... Robertson's have great fried lobster AND $2 gallon water.

===============================================

Thanks! Several people have also reported this on Ports of Call under Bahamas.

It'll be great having these additions at the port terminal area. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Sorry folks, going off the topic again! For those who are wondering, I've finally heard from the husband, he's safe and well (ridiculously busy but that's normal!) and the ship is in Freeport.

Anyway....as you were... :D