Long Beach Boarding Routine / Timing & Cruise Details

sarafinadh

Hi,

We will be on the Inspiration on January 20th. We are staying at the Maya the night before so we will have the shuttle service to get to the pier.

I am wondering a few things.

Booking paper says board between 1 and 4:30. What happens if you arrive before 1 and there is no line. Do you still wait for the 1:00 boarding? Is it possible to purchase the early boarding pass for this cruise?

Where will we find the beginning of the boarding process. I have read "somewhere" on the Queen Mary, and "somewhere" on the pier. Anyone know where "exactly"?

What's up with the sitting and waiting for your number to be called? The only other cruise we have been on was a Celebrity and it seemed simpler. You gave your bags to porters and got in line to board and got checked in and went up a ramp to the ship. Is this more like plane boarding?

Are rooms generally ready pretty promptly on these 4 night trips, or is it better to stay away so the room stewards don't have to do stuff with you underfoot?

What nights of the Long Beach, Catalina, Ensenada, At Sea, Long Beach itinerary are elegant night? Are elegant night also the lobster night?

What nights are the Chef's Table usually offered? I have read that some people have signed up before the cruise for the table. Elsewhere I read you should go to a desk as soon as you get on board to sign up. I'd rather sign up ahead, on a night that is not the dressy night if possible.

Any other info I haven't asked for would be appreciated ; -)

Hi I'll try and help as much as possible. But my experiences were with the splendor. Don't know if it's changed.

For your arrival time we concluded this was staggered to avoid a mad rush of people. If you get there early you'll just stand in line with everyone else and wait to give your information to a carnival rep. I think the only way for early boarding is to purchase FTTF.

There is a separate building for carnival. It's right next to the queen Mary. You can see her from the pier. By boyfriend says you board where the "spruce goose" used to be. Apparently that was back in the 90's.

Regarding the sitting & waiting on both our carnival cruises this has been an experience as the "norm". You give your info to the carnival rep they give you your S&S card and a boarding number. You wait til your number is called then proceed to the security check area. Then continue onboard.

On our 7 night Mexican riviera our room was ready at the posted time. Same with our Caribbean cruise.

Can't help with the elegant night on a 4 day. We usually do 7.

Hope some of this helped. :) happy cruising!!

9/2012 - 7 day Mexican Rivera on the Splendor

9/2013 - 7 day Western Caribbean on the Magic

I boarded the Splendor at Long Beach in Early Dec 2012. We were told boarding was at 01:00 - 04:00 but did not believe it. We arrived at 10:00am. We were eating lunch on the ship at 11:30. Someone on a prior cruise told us to always ignore the boarding time and just arrive at 10:00. We have done the 03:00pm boarding. It feels like you have an extra 1/2 on the ship. Yes you have to wait for awhile for you room but we did not consider that a big deal.

We also stayed at the Maya but they told us they did not have a shuttle. Seemed odd that there was a van loading up people in front of the lobby with the Maya name on it.

It is a pretty easy walk from the Maya to the ship. We did it (family of 4) including our luggage (bags had wheels). I should mention my wife has a bad knee and one daughter has some disabilities. We saw quite a few other walking both directions between the ship and hotel.

On Feb 2 (25 days!!!) when we are getting ready to board the Sunshine we will be at the checkin area around 10:00am. We don't care if we have to wait around for an hour or two.

Felidaet

I have sailed on the 3 night and 4 night cruises out of Long Beach. We usually arrive about noon and are on the ship in less than 30 minutes. If you get there at 10 AM there will be a long line.

3 night cruise the formal/elegant night is on the 2nd night. The 4 night cruise the elegant night is on the 3rd night - the night you are in Ensenada I think.

If you get to port very early you actually check in at the Queen Mary - there are signs directing you where to go. If you arrive a bit later - sorry but I don't know the time - you check in where the Spruce Goose used to be housed as someone previously mentioned.

I found check in to be very easy when arriving noonish and check in was very easy when checking in early but then you stand in a long line based on your boarding zone. When I did the noon check ins it was quicker in my opinion.

Early Check-in for the Inspiration begins around 9-9:30am, usually at the Queen Mary.

Luggage check is lower level of the parking lot.

If you check in early you will have to wait outside the Dome until your zone is called.

You will enter the Dome, showing your passport and S&S card, go thru Security. Pass by the check in stations, get your Welcome Pix taken then go up the escalator.

If you do not check in early you will have to wait in line to get into the Dome. You will enter the Dome, showing your passport and Boarding Pass, go thru Security. Get in line for the check in stations, get your Welcome Pix taken then go up the escalator.

Hint - the rightmost line is the Priority line. It feeds into the right side Security line. Try going to the left if you do not have priority and none of us Priority pax will 'cut in'.:p

FTTF is available in Long Beach but might not be available for your cruise or sold out.

Usually boarding starts about 11:30a and cabins are available around 1:30p.

The first day we try to get tables on the little deck outside the buffet either behind the pizza station or the bar.

Elegnat night on the four day cruise will be Tuesday, your Catalina day. Won't be your Ensenada day as you should be there until 8pm or 10pm.

Some sort of lobster is served. It is not Maine lobster.

Chef's Table should be on your sea day. Go to Guest Services and sign up.

Are you parking at the pier? Parking is $17/day.

If you arrive Monday at 9am but don't leave til Friday 10am you will be charged 4 days +1 hour.

Keep your receipt out as you will need to show it to get out of the area.

(Info for anybody else reading this as the OP is staying at the Maya.)

Debarkation--

The numbers are for the porters to arrange your luggage.

-If you carry off all your luggage you can leave pretty much at any time.

-If you have the ship take them off then wait for your number to be called. You can leave anytime after your number is called.

Long Beach can only handle about a third of the numbers at a time in the hall.

Look on the Mexican Riviera Board for info on Ensenada and Catalina.

Edited by SadieN

There is the option of a very short taxi ride or free public bus that takes you from Maya to dock.

The hotel is about a mile from ship on flat land. If everyone is fit it can be a nice walk.

The Passport (free) bus goes in the wrong direction. First it goes to the Queen Mary then the Maya.

Take the hotel shuttle.

If you Googlearth the address on your docs, you'll see the Maya is very close by. Many paxs walk from the Maya to the ship depending on their mobility, of course.

I was on the INSPIRATION in November and will be on the IMAGINATION the 26th of this month. It seemed when the SPLENDOR was here that we boarded earlier because it seemed last November that we didn't board until around 12:30 ?

Carnival has changed the advance registration around several times, from the Queen Mary to right in front of the Dome, now, I think, back to the Queen Mary. If you're PLATINUM there is a special separate building near the luggage checkin in the parking garage and I've been going there for some time, so I don't know where the early checkin is. Last November I think it was the Queen Mary, but not sure.

Wish I could help more. I'm ancient and I don't pay enough attention to a lot of things anymore. :D

Hi,

We will be on the Inspiration on January 20th. We are staying at the Maya the night before so we will have the shuttle service to get to the pier.

Hi Sarah,

We will be on that same cruise and was looking for a hotel to stay at the night before.

Do you mine me asking how much you booked your room for at the Maya?

Avoid the bottle neck of cruisers trying to get to the ship after customs/Immigration! this bottle neck is for pre cruise bording photo shoots with unrealistic backbrops:D dont queue up to enter the bottle neck, just walk past it;)

Avoid the bottle neck of cruisers trying to get to the ship after customs/Immigration! this bottle neck is for pre cruise bording photo shoots with unrealistic backbrops:D dont queue up to enter the bottle neck, just walk past it;)

They've made it nearly impossible to avoid. It's worse now than when they had the Mexican Village set up.

They've made it nearly impossible to avoid. It's worse now than when they had the Mexican Village set up.

I cheat to miss the pictures takers. I take the elevator... :cool:

Edited by pattimelt

When we went on our Splendor cruise out of Long Beach, there must have been some random customs inspection or something as boarding didn't even begin until 2:30. This terminal waiting area is outside with very little seating or shelter. We sat on the grass for hours and the line of people went on for as far as we could see. Fortunately this was our only embarkation that this occurred on and I've heard that it does happen at times.

We're doing the same cruise on the 20th. We've done the Maya in the past and they do offer a shuttle. Be sure to sign up for seats at check in unless they've changed things or you'll be waiting for a while. Also, getting the shuttle back can be a bit of a scrum unless they've came up with a system of some sorts.

They Maya can be a little tricky to find. Our GPS had us going in circles. Turn it off and do it the old fashioned way. Eyes and common sense. : )

Try to avoid the connecting rooms at the Maya as they can get very loud!

Early check in is usually the Queen Mary and signage is there.

The "other" building is a huge dome. You can't miss it!

See you on board! Have a great time!

Hi,

Any other info I haven't asked for would be appreciated ; -)

Hi Sara,

A few of us on this same cruise, have set up a mini roll call. We have set up our own sail away party. You can check out the thread at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1943058

Ron

Edited by Bigboy209
Format

I love how helpful you all are ; -)

We are not platinum and don't want to step on any toes but what I have read has been confusing. Either don't show up until your stated boarding time on your pass (1:00) or show up early (10:30) before the crowds and you will be boarded if there isn't a line. It's possible that those saying come early are platinum and not thinking in terms of what applies to everyone else, but I can't tell. I sort of get the sense that this 3 and 4 day cruise from Long Beach is a bit out of the usual run of the mill routine for longer cruises.

I have not found a place in my online booking at Carnival that says anything about early boarding. I don't know if this is because it is sold out or because I am looking in the wrong place. Under "My Billing" the only option to buy is vacation insurance.

So still wondering on this when to board thing, and starting to think there is no correct answer, different ships, different dates, different experiences, it's a crap shoot...

We did book the Maya using the code and have parking and the shuttle. $119 +tax. Code is 0560018220, enter it in the corporate field. Thanks for the 'sign in when you check in' advice!

Elegant night on Tuesday, Chef's Table on Thursday. Check.

Avoid the photographers. Check. (knew that one with out prompting ; -)

Again thank you all!

Hi Sarah,

We will be on that same cruise and was looking for a hotel to stay at the night before.

Do you mine me asking how much you booked your room for at the Maya?

I'm not Sarah, but I also have booked the Maya for an upcoming cruise. Using the Carnival code 0560018220 plugged into the corporate code area, I got a rate of $119 (plus tax = $137). The room also includes 7 days of parking at the hotel. As the parking garage would be $102 for our 6 day cruise, we got the room for $35 out the door. :)

Bob

We are not platinum and don't want to step on any toes but what I have read has been confusing. Either don't show up until your stated boarding time on your pass (1:00) or show up early (10:30) before the crowds and you will be boarded if there isn't a line. It's possible that those saying come early are platinum and not thinking in terms of what applies to everyone else, but I can't tell. I sort of get the sense that this 3 and 4 day cruise from Long Beach is a bit out of the usual run of the mill routine for longer cruises.

Both are correct.... :D

If you show up early, you will likely be given a number of 1 or 2. Yes, you will have to wait until the priority people (wedding parties, platinum, suites, and FTTF) are boarded, but then you are next. Sometimes, if the previous sailing is emptied quickly, the priority folks are allowed on as early as 10:30-11:00 (tho sometimes as late as noon). If there aren't that many of them, your number 1 or 2 would have you boarding soon after. It would still be MUCH earlier than the 1-4:00 that they told you to board.

One of the reasons they tell people to get there later is that non-priority folks are not supposed to go to their cabins until 1:30. So this keeps people from hauling their carry on baggage all over the ship. Well, that and to space out the boarding to keep lines down.

If you are interested in buying FTTF ($49 per CABIN), you go to your online booking, click on the "plan activities" link, and then go find the shore excursions for Los Angeles (Long Beach). Faster To The Fun, is listed there as an excursion.

Not only will it get you priority boarding and priority disembarking, but it will also get you priority tendering in Catalina. Plus your room will be ready when you board, so you won't have to lug your stuff around until 1:30 when they allow everyone to go to their cabins.

Hope this helped.

Bob

• 1 year later...
Early Check-in for the Inspiration begins around 9-9:30am, usually at the Queen Mary.

Luggage check is lower level of the parking lot.

If you check in early you will have to wait outside the Dome until your zone is called.

You will enter the Dome, showing your passport and S&S card, go thru Security. Pass by the check in stations, get your Welcome Pix taken then go up the escalator.

If you do not check in early you will have to wait in line to get into the Dome. You will enter the Dome, showing your passport and Boarding Pass, go thru Security. Get in line for the check in stations, get your Welcome Pix taken then go up the escalator.

Hint - the rightmost line is the Priority line. It feeds into the right side Security line. Try going to the left if you do not have priority and none of us Priority pax will 'cut in'.:p

FTTF is available in Long Beach but might not be available for your cruise or sold out.

Usually boarding starts about 11:30a and cabins are available around 1:30p.

The first day we try to get tables on the little deck outside the buffet either behind the pizza station or the bar.

Elegnat night on the four day cruise will be Tuesday, your Catalina day. Won't be your Ensenada day as you should be there until 8pm or 10pm.

Some sort of lobster is served. It is not Maine lobster.

Chef's Table should be on your sea day. Go to Guest Services and sign up.

Are you parking at the pier? Parking is $17/day.

If you arrive Monday at 9am but don't leave til Friday 10am you will be charged 4 days +1 hour.

Keep your receipt out as you will need to show it to get out of the area.

(Info for anybody else reading this as the OP is staying at the Maya.)

Debarkation--

The numbers are for the porters to arrange your luggage.

-If you carry off all your luggage you can leave pretty much at any time.

-If you have the ship take them off then wait for your number to be called. You can leave anytime after your number is called.

Long Beach can only handle about a third of the numbers at a time in the hall.

Look on the Mexican Riviera Board for info on Ensenada and Catalina.

Sadie or anyone that has sailed recently on the Ispiration ..Could you please confirm for me..Need current info..What's the earliest time FTTF can board (boarding pass is saying 1-4pm) and latest Long Beach structure daily parking fee?