What to do in Bermuda??

Funcouple

Late 30's couple visiting Bermuda in Mid August with no kids. Ship is docked at Kings Warf (Dockyards) for two days.

Not interested in golf. Not crazy about shopping. We enjoy the beachs but wouldn't consider ourselves beach worshipers (especially if there aren't showers at the beach).

We're not affraid to use the scooters (not really looking to debate this on this thread). We'll do all of our drinking of spirits on Front Street as long as we can take the ferry back to Kings Warf (how late do they run?).

What are the must do's? We enjoy being with people and socializing (not the same as being at places where it's crowded).

Is there a bar or club at King's Warf area? Nightlife better in Hamilton? Drinking / Dancing / Mingling is all good fun.

Thanks for all of your tips.

Here's a compiled list of a few items that I've collected from the RCCI board. Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed.

1. Horseshoe Bay -- beach and rock formations

2. Swizzle Inn for a rum swizzle (Where is the location?)

3. St George's (what is there to do?, where to go specifically?)

4. Tues Night Street Festival at Dockyards

5. Helmet Diving -- Harley's (where are they located?)

6. 2 day bus and ferry pass -- $20 per person

DH & I are cruising to Bermuda the first week in September, so I've also been researching what to do. There is a local guide Jo Cook of Out & About who will take you anywhere on the island on a walking tour ($20/person for 2 hours). She will be on vacation the week we are sailing so she is not available, so I continued to research what to do. There are two helmet dives - one is Hartleys & one is Bell Helmet (this one is an RCCI excursion). They are very similar in schedule, timeframes, price, etc., however, we chose Bell Helmet because they offer a video of your excursion. DH loves to watch those videos when he comes back. They each have a website, however, I don't remember the names. I found them by doing an on-line search. I also found Jo's website that way also. We are doing the Bell Helmet tour in the morning of the second day we are in port & then in the afternoon we will stay close to the ship & check out the snorkle park & just look around. We are also going to get a ferry/bus pass for the first day & travel around to see the sites.

This board is great. Be sure to use it's search engine & you'll be amazed at what you can learn.

My wife & I went to Bermuda (we are in our late 30's) last August and absolutely fell in love with it. It is our new favorite cruise destination (we like to kick back on our cruises). Most of our time was spent relaxing at Horseshoe Bay, which is an incredible beach. If you go, walk down to the very end & check out the rock formations, there are some really cool coves there. We can’t wait to get back. Also, if you feel like dinner on shore, you’ve got to try the Barracuda Grill’s crab cakes. It was one of best meals ever (I’m pretty sure they have a website if your interested).

St. Georges

Take a bus in the morning to the Crystal Caves. Do this on your own because it will be less crowded and you'll be able to do both caves. Do them both, it's worth it! Eat lunch on the ship, then wander around St. Georges, and go to Tobacco Bay (for snorkeling) or St Catherins... take a peek at the unfinished church on your way

Hamilton

C'mon-- ya gotta do a little shopping!

Take a bus to Horsehoe Bay and spend the day at the gorgeous beach! Be sure to walk to the left to enjoy all the private coves.

Dockyards

Wander around, go to the Museum, and you MUST do the snorkel park. It's some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. Make sure to wear acqua socks if you don't have fins.. it's hard on your feet.

• 1 month later...

The departure point for Hartley's Helmet Diving depends on the day, our two main points are the Watford Bridge ferry stop and the Dockyard ferry stop. If you book through the ship's shore excursions, we come right to the ship to pick you up (Celebrity and Radisson mainly)

Dockyards

Wander around, go to the Museum, and you MUST do the snorkel park. It's some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. Make sure to wear acqua socks if you don't have fins.. it's hard on your feet.

I'm planning on snorkeling at snorkel park and have my own equipment. My sister is going with me and has never done this great sport. Do they have rentals there??? I know - I know - the toothbrush thing - but she doesn't want to buy until she knows she'll like it. Her choice.:rolleyes:

The departure point for Hartley's Helmet Diving depends on the day, our two main points are the Watford Bridge ferry stop and the Dockyard ferry stop. If you book through the ship's shore excursions, we come right to the ship to pick you up (Celebrity and Radisson mainly)

Hello Again...from St. George, please tell us the bus route/ferry to get to both locations... I dont want to be late for this... and is the bus route the same to get to Horseshoe ...

There is a ferry that runs from St. Georges to Dockyard but it has limited sailings. If that won't work for you take the bus from St. Georges to Hamilton (#1, 3, 10 or 11) then take the ferry from Hamilton to Dockyard. You could also take the #7 or #8 bus from Hamilton to Dockyard but that would take longer (45+ minutes) then the ferry (20 minutes).

Looking for information on a local guides who cater to the cruise ships...

Can you give me more information on the local guide Jo Cook of Out & About? Do they have a website or phone number. I would really like to contact them to see what they have to offer and to see if they will be available for my cruise. I haven't been able to find any info on this local guide company.

....the Majesty was scheduled to leave at noon. We got up at 6:00 a.m.

and walked over the hill from St. George and sat and watched the sunrise.

As it rose, another cruise ship passed in front of it- beautiful.

We walked about a quarter of a mile to St. Catherines Bay. It was

deserted at that time of day- we had it all to ourselves. We swam, collected

shells and stones, and just enjoyed each other- beautiful.

We walked another quarter mile to Tobacco Bay. There were about ten

people there. We donned our snorkle gear and headed out into the water.

The fish were very friendly and plentiful. We enjoyed the water for about

two and a half hours, and then had to think about getting back to the ship.

When we got back to the beach, we turned to look back at the water and

saw a brilliant rainbow over the water where we were swimming- beautiful.

We went to have a great time, so that's what we did.

There's tons to do if you want to get out and do it.

Get out and around and enjoy this BEAUTIFUL island

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a compiled list of a few items that I've collected from the RCCI board. Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed.

1. Horseshoe Bay -- beach and rock formations

2. Swizzle Inn for a rum swizzle (Where is the location?)

3. St George's (what is there to do?, where to go specifically?)

4. Tues Night Street Festival at Dockyards

5. Helmet Diving -- Harley's (where are they located?)

6. 2 day bus and ferry pass -- $20 per person

Horseshoe was great! waves at the time were HUGE, and the cascading waters off the rock formations off shore was for sure a wall hanging.

docked in st george for 2 1/2 days until they moved the ship, but its quite and pretty, not the hussle,bussle of Hamilton, small shops and a pleasant stroll for a few hours made St. George another highlight. Visit Tabbacco bay for some great snorkeling. visit early and we left by 12:30... dont buy your own snorkel equip as I did, for a mear 5 bucks they have them right there at the snack stand to rent. bring a few dog biscuts to feed the fish.

did Hartley and that was great. Greg seems a bit off the wall, but knows his stuff and shows you a good time. Pay for the pics of you down there, its costly but worth it. email me if more info is needed @aol.com

We loved the Aquarium & zoo. Nice way to spend a few hours & it is not too far from the Swizzle Inn by bus. Which is a great place to go too. If you are going to drink the swizzles, eat a little something too. They go down so smooth, then you have to stand up! Get an appetizer or something small if you don't want to spend too much money.

Dockyards

I'm planning on snorkeling at snorkel park and have my own equipment. My sister is going with me and has never done this great sport. Do they have rentals there??? I know - I know - the toothbrush thing - but she doesn't want to buy until she knows she'll like it. Her choice.:rolleyes:

Yes, they have rentals. I brought my own so I don't know how much they charged. They have little paddle boats too that you can rent.

• 3 weeks later...
The departure point for Hartley's Helmet Diving depends on the day, our two main points are the Watford Bridge ferry stop and the Dockyard ferry stop.

The day that my wife and I went the pickup was at the Bridge. I must say that the two of us had a wonderful time (neither of us had done anything like this before), even though the boat was packed with two multi-generational families. We spoke to others that went on the other bell helmet tour and they said that they didn't do half of what we did. Hartley's, thats the way to go.

We just returned from Bermuda. Our ports were Hamilton and St. George.

I just posted a very detailed review of Bermuda and Zenith complete with lots of tips and hints of what to do.

Do the cultural stuff if it's raining.

(It was too long to post here in one piece).

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

• 6 months later...

Archived