Review: Rhein Getaway, Viking Rinda, 12/21-30/2013

rrgator

You mentioned Obernai. It is an optional tour for us and we are considering. It looks like a very cute town. Since it is optional, is there a fee? Also, thanks for the great and detailed trip report.

It is an optional tour, and well worth the time and money. My recollections are as follows:

"In Strasbourg there was an optional tour to the Alsace wine country to the town of Obernai, and in Cologne, there was an optional tour to 5 different brew houses to sample the local beer, known as Kolsch. Each of the optional tours was around 35-40 Euros. Euros are about 1.4 times the US dollar, so 40 Euros = around $56 US. There was also an optional tour normally scheduled in either Heidelberg or Koblenz, but it was not offered because of Christmas. I thought the optional tours were well worth the time and money. We went to a small vineyard in the small town of Obernai owned by Robert Blanck. He took us into the cellar, explained the wine making process, and showed us two barrels that have been in use by his family since the 1700's. I continue to be amazed at how old and how much history there is in Europe. We live in New Orleans and think we have a lot of history here. Compared to Europe, we are limited regarding history. This winemaker in Obernai, France has wine barrels older than the US. Strasbourg, France was founded in 5 BC. Just one other reason to visit Europe as often as possible. One other interesting note regarding wine production is as you go North in France and Germany, white wine is more predominant. Due to the colder weather in that region, the white grapes are hardier and can withstand the colder temperatures better. Some red wine is produced in the region, but most red wine is produced in the southern part of Europe."

After the tour of the vineyard, you have about an hour or so in the town itself, which is pretty nice. When we were there, the Christmas market was in full operational mode, so unless you are going there at Christmas time, you will have to find other things to do. There was a church there and an older hotel that looked interesting, but we didn't go into either one. Also saw a bakery that smelled great. All in all, I thought the tour was well worth it, especially the bus ride.

I didn't hear anything about New Years celebrations on the boat. I am sure they will do something. We did get a "surprise" for Christmas, but I won't disclose it, so it won't be spoiled for those going on the Christmas cruise in the future.

We have done two "winter break" cruises with Viking (we, too are tied to the academic calendar) and one included new year's eve. The crew organized quite a party ... guests dressed up a bit (there were some "sparkles" here and there!) and the crew presented a series of "skits" to entertain the passengers. It was all presented in the lounge and there was plenty of "holiday cheer" being passed around ... of course the skits were funnier as the evening wore on! There were decorations, lots of music, sing-a-longs, and dancing. It was a lot of fun but relaxed and "low key".

I have been scouring these boards for months in preparation for our Rhine Getaway at the end of March. Your review was most helpful and answered most of my questions. I do have one other though: is coffee available for early risers without going to the dining room? We will be on the Helvetia.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but my wife is a world champion. On the third deck, just before the lounge, on both sides, there is a little coffee service, which also has tea and hot chocolate. They also have pastries in the morning and cookies at night. Very good. My wife said the coffee was good.

• 1 year later...

We are going on our first river cruise in December and we have so many questions, your review gave great detail on many of the things we wondered about. We are from Arizona so even the information on the weather and attire was perfect for us. Your review was very well written, enjoyable had so much information. We always enjoy a vacation so I have no doubt we will love this but having good expectations going into the vacation makes the experience that much more enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience, it is much appreciated.