First time in Cozumel

suesue25

My husband and I will be on the Carnival Paradise which will be in May 1st and are interest in visiting the ruins and maybe a quite beach . Any suggestions on an itinerary that will give us the best value and most out of the time we have there. We will be in port from 11:00am - 8:00 pm.

If by ruins you are meaning a site like Tulum, on the mainland, you're best bet is to take a ship excursion, if offered. It will be a long day. Otherwise, for the uninitiated, a DIY tour or tour with a private vendor might run into problems getting back to the ship. You might catch a 11AM Coz time ferry out as you'll dock around 10AM Coz time. But most likely the noon ferry and your best bet return is the 5 PM Coz time ferry (6PM ship getting you back to the ferry dock between 6:45 and 7PM ship- 15 minute taxi ride back to pier. That a doable time slot, but pushing it.

Taxi rates to downtown are around $7 per taxi for up to 1-4 people.

On Cozumel itself, there are a smaller set of ruins, San Gervasio, about 30 minute taxi ride from where you'll dock (Puerta Maya pier), take about 30-45 minute to walk around the site. These aren't as impressive as the mainland ruins but they are still interesting if you've never seen ruins. The site is in the opposite direction of most beach resorts. But given that you're arriving at 10AM that should not be a problem. You can be on a beach by around noon or 12:30 Coz time. Beach resorts close around 5PM Coz (6PM ship).

I suggest you look at some of the threads here and TA reviews on beaches and suggestions and find the one that best suits your interests. Paradise Beach, Mr Sanchos, Playa Mia are popular and have threads here as well as websites. Playa Corona, Carlos and Charlies, Chankanaab Park(Chank has more than just a beach; look at its website too), Albertos and Playa Palancar are other frequently mentioned beaches. And there are still others.

Taxi rates from Puerta Maya to San Gervasio run around $45-50 per taxi (up to 4 people). You'll have to have the taxi wait for you (~$20 per 1/2 hour). Then pay the $45-$50 back tp PM plus additional charges to which ever beach you head for. Taxi fares to the beaches are zoned and can range from $10-$25 per taxi (up to 4 people) each way from PM. It may be possible to arrange with a taxi driver a set fare to cover the whole way ship to ruins to beach and back But that needs to be set before getting into the taxi.

Good luck in your planning.

Taxi rates from Puerta Maya to San Gervasio run around $45-50 per taxi (up to 4 people). You'll have to have the taxi wait for you (~$20 per 1/2 hour). Then pay the $45-$50 back tp PM plus additional charges to which ever beach you head for. Taxi fares to the beaches are zoned and can range from $10-$25 per taxi (up to 4 people) each way from PM. It may be possible to arrange with a taxi driver a set fare to cover the whole way ship to ruins to beach and back But that needs to be set before getting into the taxi.

Good luck in your planning.

I thought the rates posted at the piers to the ruins was $60 round trip with waiting?

Guest Nellsmom58

As a new cruiser, I'd suggest staying with the tours offered by your ship to avoid problems getting back to your ship on time. Cozumel has a lot to offer, and sometimes you can do two excursions in one day if you work it right. We like Pasiòn Island by water taxi for gentle ride, or Twister, if you like a wet ride. The beaches are great, and some excursions combine Tulum with beach time. Just depends on what interests you, and how much activity you want around you.

We've been to Cozumel several times and we enjoy Paradise Beach. You can catch a cab there. It will take about 7-10 minutes to drive there but it is absolutely beautiful! There's no cost to get in and they have a little bit of everything...pool, chairs by the pool & beach, hammocks, jet skis, scuba, parasailing, restaurant, water playground (trampoline, "Iceberg" climb, etc.). There's a cost for the playground, jet skis, etc. but I'm not sure of the amount. The last time we went, the only thing we spent any money on was our lunch and cab ride. I was a wonderful, relaxing day!

• 1 month later...