White Pass Summit/Yukon Bus or Rail in Early May

Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Hi -

My question is twofold. We are in Skagway on May 12. I understand most of the lakes will still be frozen then and the portion from Fraser to Bennett/Carcross isn't available yet on the train.

1) How different is the train portion between Fraser and Skagway versus the highway with a private tour?

2) What is the scenery like going past Fraser in that early of May? To be honest since I live in Minnesota I'm not interested in seeing frozen lakes.

Thanks so much!!

Lady Anna

Edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Both the train and the highway travel opposite sides of the same valley. That said, the train will expose you to much more rugged terrain. I'd rate the train ride as more scenic and then the whole experience of riding a narrow gauge train whose construction was an engineering wonder.

Traveling beyond Fraser toward the Yukon will offer more than just passing frozen lakes. You're traveling through glacier valleys. You'll pass through sections of vegetation shaped by the extreme weather and see the effects the glaciers had on the landscape of rugged, younger mountains. My opinion the scenery is beautiful and unique all the way to Carcross.

Perhaps the combination of train up to Fraser and then continuing on via small bus or van would provide the best of both. The highway offers a different perspective from the train route and has the advantage of stops at view points for pictures. Remember to carry your passports.