Rainbow Reef Snorkeling

PGI2014

The Rainbow Reef tour takes you to the sea gardens off the coast of Anthol Island. The Sea Gardens have some fantastic snorkeling for all levels. Staff will feed the fish closeby for your viewing, and you can take along a little bread or crackers to attract them in the water. It's a great trip with terrific staff. This is just a snorkeling trip.. no lunch, rum punch etc.. but worth every penny.

Thanks Mark! And thanks for the heads up on the difficulty we may experience. I hadn't even considered that!!!

Scubagirrl,

What do you think - I have an 11 yr old and 15 yr old. Both are good swimmers but is it usually difficult to snorkel there? We will be there on the 25th and with all the hurricane action in the carribean recently - are the waters rougher than usual?

Any input you can provide would be helpful. Also, if you think Rainbow is too difficult, where would you recommend, we are only there from 8 - 2 pm.

Thanks all!

The sea gardens at Anthol Island is a protected area.. it's at the end of the harbour, with Anthol Island protecting it from rough surf. Novice swimmers should have no problem.

Life vest are provided, and if you are concerned about drift, just stay along the life ring ropes.. and keep an eye on each other. Staff is IN the water, as well as watching for drifters.. You will NOT have a problem if you accidently drift off a bit. It's NOT open seas..

We are cruising December and I am so torn - I really, really want to do this excursion, but I am told the waters can be kind of chilly this time of year. I have two daughters ages 6 and 9 and you know how sometimes they cannot go with flow when things are not just so (i.e. rainy, cold weather). You told me a while back about the SeaWorld Explorer. I need someone (who has some knowledge of the climate) to help me make a decision:o. Would I be foolish to risk nice enough weather to take this excursion? We will be in Nassau the day after Christmas. Thanks for any insight you can provide!:) :)

It's a good bet that the weather will be a bit too chilly for your little ones. ( this depends on the weather leading up to the date, not just the few days prior.)

The Seaworld Explorer would be a fun way to see the fishes... or a tour of the Atlantis DIGs aquariums for $29 each (kids are less).

scubagirrl,

Thank you so much! I am going to take your tip and go with the Seaworld Explorer. I have heard good things about that excursion and if they don't get their fill of fishies it will leave us enough time to do the Dig after that if we feel up to it. We just got back from Boston and took them to the New England Aquarium. My husband and I could have set up camp with sleeping bags and all and they would never have noticed. They were mezmerized!:)

Allison

Archived