San Jose schools/children centers

gary

My husband and I will be coming to San Jose this December. We would like to bring school supplies or other items for the children and schools that may be in need. Has anyone ever done this before or have any suggestions on how we can do something along these lines?

Gary,

I also belong to another message board communicating with those in Costa Rica since I plan on moving there this year...:D . I posted your message and this is the response I received...

San Jose International Kiwanis Club has been helping a very poor rural school near the city of Naranjo, Alajuela. Almost anything is needed. Elementary reading material in English is good, especially if you can get the stories with limited vocabulary but interest level at 12 to 15 years (car racing, science fiction, sports, esp. soccer, adventures, etc.) Paints, brushes, etc. Many items can be bought more cheaply here (paper, notebooks, etc.) so money is good! How else can I help you? Ron Tucker, Kiwanis Pres.

Let me know if this helps you in anyway and I will be glad to get any other information you need.:)

Ruthann

Thank you for the information. We wonder if there is anywhere in or near San Jose or Jaco. We will be spending a few days near each and will be driving to Jaco from SJ. I am certain that there are many schools in need in the areas that we will be in, it is just a matter of us knowing where to go. Your help is very much appreciated.

Gary,

Here is another option as posted on the other board...

"My wife Nanci and I operate El Puente - The Bridge, providing

educational assistance, food assistance, and microloans mainly to

indigenous people in the southeastern part of Costa Rica. Our goal

is to help people help themselves to self-sufficiency.

See us at http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org

Because we put 24 kids in school this term, we're meeting with

school administrators, asking how we can help.

Take a look at our website. If you're in the area, come by, serve

soup to some Bribri, visit a school administrator and bring some of

your donations personally. For the more adventurous, you can go into

the jungle with our Indian guide, even stay overnight with the

family of a Bribri grandmother who comes to visit us weekly."

Hello,

Thank you for all the replies. Unfortunately, the areas listed are not near our areas of travel. We really would like to help- are there any outreach posts to deliver the supplies in San Jose or Jaco or the southwest coast( Puntarenas, Quepos, Caldera) Please let us know. We are coming in December.

Gary and Leslie

• 1 month later...

Hope this helps!

"Thank you very much for your interest in this school.

December is the end of the school year, which begins again the first week in February. We found the greatest needs were for art supplies (tempera, brushes, construction paper, etc., and math sets). Wall maps (world, Central America- Caribbean, Costa Rica) are lacking. If you thought of bringing things, literature in basic English (i.e., for slow learners) would be good, or anything bilingual that would interest children.

Please feel free to contact me by email, or when you arrive, by phone: 446-3840 or 359 1758. Your interest is really appreciated. Ron Tucker

rontucker2001@yahoo.ca

Cruise_Girl_Too - Thanks for relaying the info. Several times you referred to the "other board". Do you have a link to this? Could we access this board direct and perhaps get a better insight as to how we may be able to help? Also, do you know of any orphanages in the area that might appreciate new and slightly used children's clothing and toys?

Archived