Carnival Spirit Balcony Doors

Taking a short cruise on Carnival Spirit next months and I am curious about the doors opening onto cabin balconies. In much of the literature I have read they refer to "Sliding Glass doors" - no doubt similar to what we have experienced before.

However I have seem photos, and even a video which shows the doors as being hinged and opening similarly to a traditional door.

It may be that the doors are different on different cabins. We are in an extended balcony aft view cabin on Empress Deck (6)

It may also be that the visuals I have seen were taken before the 2012 refit.

Does anyone know exactly what we can expect? Not alarmed or even slightly concerned...just a bit curious.

cheers

Hi,

We were in a balcony stateroom on Carnival Spirit in March last year (deck 5, room 5-220). Our balcony door definitely was not sliding - it was hinged.

We had family on deck 6 in balconies towards the front of the ship and their doors also were hinged.

Thanks Guys

I appreciate your responses

I know I read somewhere (at an online agency I think) where they described the access to the balcony as via "ceiling to floor glass sliding doors" - maybe I was on drugs at the time :D

Recently on Youtube, I saw a video of the cabin just two decks above ours, and there definitely was a hinged door to the balcony.

Just have to remember to take a bungy cord in case we need to keep the door ajar... and of course the good old Duct Tape. :p

cheers

Thanks Guys

I appreciate your responses

I know I read somewhere (at an online agency I think) where they described the access to the balcony as via "ceiling to floor glass sliding doors" - maybe I was on drugs at the time :D

Recently on Youtube, I saw a video of the cabin just two decks above ours, and there definitely was a hinged door to the balcony.

Just have to remember to take a bungy cord in case we need to keep the door ajar... and of course the good old Duct Tape. :p

cheers

Just by the by....

Its not encouraged to leave the balcony door open as it mucks up the air conditioning, not just in your cabin but in others nearby on the same line.The other thing is that if you have the balcony door open it alters the pressure in your cabin and its very hard for anyone to open the cabin door. It happened to us once when we had the balcony door open and the other one came back to the cabin , found it hard , but opened the cabin door and ...whoooosh.... all the papers on the desk and anything lying around the cabin went out the balcony door....It looked like a tornado had swept through:D

Thanks David...I appreciate your comments

When we were in an aft cabin on Sun Princess we sometimes left the sliding door a little open so we could enjoy the "noise" of the wake.

No big deal, and I well understand the Air Con situation...and certainly with the mess of papers I often leave lying about (apparently) I would not want to have them disappearing into the Tasman Sea.:(..

cheers

cheers

We had an extended balcony, there was nothing to attach the bunny cord to. BUT if you take an old toothbrush (or buy a cheap no name one), you can wedge it length ways in the door hinge mechanism at the top of the door and it will stop the door from closing. I too like to listen to the ocean and have fresh air when I'm inside the cabin, but agree definitely do not open the door into the corridor at the same time or you will get the whoosh!

We had an aft balcony on Carnival. We love the aft and usually try and get an aft balcony cabin. I must admit there was quite a bit of vibration, more than we have experienced before. The door was a sliding door and whenever you opened the door the air conditioning automatically turned off. Have never come across that before. :eek:

Sorry to resurrect this thread...but just found the site where I was led to believe that our cabin on Carnival Spirit had a floor to ceiling sliding doors:

The site is : Deckplangenius.com

and this is what they say about our cabin:

Carnival Spirit Cabin 6262 Overview

Carnival Spirit cabin 6262 is an Aft-view Stateroom with Extended Balcony cabin located in the Aft (back) section of the ship. Located on Empress Deck, Carnival Spirit stateroom 6262 features Twin Bed/King and Single Convertible Sofa the Aft-view Stateroom with Extended Balcony features two lower beds that can be converted to a queen sized bed. A floor-to-ceiling sliding glass door leads to a private balcony. In select staterooms the sofa converts to a bed, and, there may be a Pullman-style bunk bed that pulls down from the wall to accommodate a third or fourth guest. The view from the balcony looks-out over the rear of the ship, and, the balcony is almost twice the size of a standard sized balcony cabin. Additionally there is a television, thermostat-controlled air conditioning, direct-dial telephone with voicemail, a lighted desk area and a hand-held hairdryer in the bathroom. The bathroom features a shower. All staterooms on Carnival Cruise Lines feature the Carnival Comfort Bed with soft, cozy linens, bathrobes, 24-hour room service, a personal safe and plenty of closet and drawer space. 185 square feet, balcony 60 square feet.

Not a lot of genius going on here !

cheers

We had an aft balcony on Carnival. We love the aft and usually try and get an aft balcony cabin. I must admit there was quite a bit of vibration, more than we have experienced before. The door was a sliding door and whenever you opened the door the air conditioning automatically turned off. Have never come across that before. :eek:

they dont like you to leave open the door as it affects the air cond in the other cabins so maybe thats why the air cond turns off when the door is open