Help me sell my wife the Canada - New England cruise

T&C Fulham

As I have written recently we took our first ever cruise and it was a great success. We did the Exotic Caribbean two weeker.

I have my sights on the Montreal to Boston ten day cruise but my wife is not excited. Montreal and Quebec ruled out being 'big cities'. The other ports being relatively unknown names.

Can anyone come up with some ideas that would make my wife more excited?

(She's a lovely lady - but like the best of wives, not easily persuaded my her husband!!)

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Last year we did a similar itinerary and I think your will both be surprised how lovely and welcoming the relatively unknown ports are. We found we were welcomed by the townspeople as we docked in many ports and found that Canada had such a lovely feel. As we wandered round these places there were signs saying welcome Seabourn and local people were so helpful. The big surprise for us was what a fabulous city Quebec is, the ship docks in town and everywhere is walkable. Quebec is definitely a special place hence the overnight stop. The scenery is breath taking as you sail from port to port, the itinerary is so relaxing that I am sure you will remember the trip for ever. I honestly think that this cruise is one of those that you will look back on and realise how much it will exceed your expectations.

The cruise ends at Boston which is also a great place for a few days post cruise as it does not have the feel of a large American city.

I think you will be doing your wife a great favour if you succeed in persuading her to go with you!!!

Let us all know how you get on.

Good Luck

Thanks rl,

It may help if I mention that we have spent a few days in Boston and we decided that if we had to move from London that might be our first choice.

We have not been to Montreal so if we took that cruise we'd probably aim to have a day or so there before boarding - and return to the UK the day we arrived in Boston.

Any views on the weather the first week in September?

Tony

Thanks rl,

It may help if I mention that we have spent a few days in Boston and we decided that if we had to move from London that might be our first choice.

We have not been to Montreal so if we took that cruise we'd probably aim to have a day or so there before boarding - and return to the UK the day we arrived in Boston.

Any views on the weather the first week in September?

Tony

Montreal is a beautiful city with lots of great restaurants, shopping and things to do -- a mini-Paris. We visit the city every year.

Early September is usually great weather, but the later you go in the fall the better and brighter the colour of the leaves will be. So it's a trade off between warmer weather versus more brilliant fall foliage.

We were there at the end of September and the weather was very pleasant so early September should be good. Warm enough to eat on deck at lunch and dinner. For us it would be a shame to miss out on some time in Boston as it is a fave city of ours, but that is holidays!!

This is such a great itinerary but too others it may not be appealing.

Edit, I have just seen Commodore Dave's comment above about the leaves turning, he is 100% right, I remember my wife commenting on the golden colours....however I think there will be some change by early September too.

Edited by rl787

Haven't visited New England so my comments are limited to Canada.

The last time we visited Quebec it was a land holiday duringn the first two weeks of September. Temperatures were in the high 70's - low 80's. Had a thunderstorm one day, apart from that glorious sunshine.

The leaves were only just starting to turn at that time.

We stayed a few days in Montreal, a few in Quebec City, then drove up to near the Saguenay area, staying at a hotel on the St Lawrence.

Highlight of the trip was whale watching on the river. We saw humpback, minke and beluga. The Saguenay fjord is beautiful.

I love the area, it's stunningly beautiful, and the people are very welcoming.

Am a big fan of Canada in general but with a French husband we've tended to spend more time in Quebec than anywhere else.

Can't wait to go back.

Edited by Nigella

but on different line, we enjoyed the mix of BIG cities,and small ports in New Brunswick,Prince Edward Island,Nova Scotia.Those were the hi lites for me.Wanted to do a driving vacation,but this gave us an overview.

Leaves were not fully changed,but weather a mix of sun,warmth,then a few cool,rainy days, Can t guarantee THAT.

We spent 2 days pre in Montreal.Took the HOHO bus and saw all the sites.Great little restuarants.We got a guide from tourism bureau,that might help to convince her.(google it).Or look at Toms Port Guides(again google_,very helpful and loads of photos and pics.

Let us know.;)

I live in the Boston area and I must tell you that the weather in September, as almost any time of the year here, is all over the place. As they say in New England, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. Average early Sept. temp hopefully would be in the 60's-70's during the day, but it can also easily be in the 50's or 90's. Be warned: the temperature can and regularly does rise or drop 30 degrees in a few hours. For example, yesterday it was a very chilly 24 degrees and this morning it is 52 and expected to rise to a balmy 60. Last week, we experienced a blizzard and it was below 10 every night. If you go, and I hope you do, be sure to bring clothing that can be layered, as well as a warm and a waterproof jacket.

That said, the foliage is magnificent and, around here, is usually at its peak from the very end of September through the second week of October. It is still quite green early to mid-Septmeber. Be sure to take a drive north and west through some lovely historic towns, like Concord and Lincoln, where the display is particularly brilliant.