British Isles - Greenock

Alicomp

The train from Greenock to Glasgow takes around 35-45mins depending on no of stops and is quite frequent about 3 per hour during the day and will probably be cheaper than Princess trips not sure how far from port to station though.

DH and I took the train from Greenock into Glasgow. It's about a 15 minute walk through town - you will actually walk through a shopping mall as well. The town is lovely and the walk mostly flat, the only hill you will encounter is the last few yards at the entrance to the train station itself. We loved the train ride as it passed through the most beautiful countryside and towns along the way. We disembarked the train at Glasgow Central and started walking. I would do it again in a heartbeat. My photos are below.

Greenock to Glasgow

Edited by crusdiva

Hi Alicomp,

You can get the train as mentioned above and there is also a bus (coach) service from Greenock that takes you to the heart of Glasgow. The bus will take slightly longer but may be cheaper. The railway station is right in the centre of Glasgow and the bus stops virtually right outside the station (just need to be careful on the way back as the pickup points are different on the way back).

The websites attached below are for Scotrail (trains) and McGills (buses).

The rail stations in Greenock are "Greenock West" and "Greenock Central". The port at Greenock in on Clarence Street/Patrick Street. Google map will help you choose. In Glasgow the main station is "Glasgow Central".

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/

http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/

If you need any more details I am happy to help. I work in Glasgow and often visit Greenock to see the Princess liners arrive in Spring and depart in the Autumn.

Edited by cms1
REMOVE WORDING

Does anyone who has been on the British Isles cruise know if Princess provides a shuttle from Greenock to Glasgow? I know it is a one hour trip. Thank you.

I found the train to be very comfortable and efficient. The station is a short walk from the dock and there are frequent trains to Glasgow and return. I don't recall the price but it was quite reasonable and the Glasgow station is right downtown.

Edited by CPADWJ
typo