Cruising with WW Simply Filling Technique

AndyB

Last year my best friend and I took a cruise in late January, to shake off the winter blues and holiday stress. It was one of the best ideas I've ever had - no better way to recharge those batteries after the holidays. So later in the year I went ahead and booked one for this January, with lofty plans to have lost 40 pounds or so by now.

Well, January is here and I'm pretty much starting over with WW. But that cruise is paid for, so I'm going! With hubby and 12-yo son this time.

Since I always keep some kind of journal when I travel, I thought this time, why not have that journal support my WLJ? So this cruise I'll post every day or so with my progress, observations, challenges and successes.

We leave next week, flying out Saturday (after weigh-in), with an overnight in Fort Lauderdale. Then Sunday we board the Celebrity Silhouette. On the seven-night cruise we'll visit San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Kitts. I hope any fellow WW cruise enthusiasts will follow along and help keep me accountable. And I'll be happy to answer any questions that might help someone else plan and manage their next cruise!

One week to go, and I've got plenty of planning, cleaning and packing to do!

Great! If you'll be connected during your cruise, please check in here. I am not going to beat myself up over every bite or sip I take during my vacation, but I do want to be mindful and not undo the progress I am making. This week before I leave I am determined to stick to plan and go into the vacation with some momentum.

The Simply Filling Technique has been part of WW for a while - it used to be called Core. It's just an alternative to tracking points for everything you eat. Anything you eat from their list of Power Foods, you don't have to count. You get some "extra" points per week to use for treats, splurges, drinks, etc. The "free" foods are really what we should be eating anyway - lean protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains, healthy oils.

The new Simple Start program they kicked off this year is just a variation on Simply Filling to kind of kick start your weight loss. It's a little more restrictive in how you can use the extra points. But it's basically Simply Filling.

The Points system is still there, and I think that's what most people do. I just thought I'd try Simply Filling for a while. I still track what I eat - just only count the things that aren't on the power foods list.

Two days to go and I am just getting started packing! Super-busy week at work, and I've gone over my weekly points - not sure what weigh-in is going to look like Saturday, but I'll just have to deal with it. Haven't gotten as many Activity Points as I intended. Long days at work have derailed that a bit.

Packing my workout clothes , though - no excuse for not getting some exercise on the ship!

You can do it! Also do lots of walking, and always take the stairs (if possible). Keep your water bottle filled at the buffet station and enjoy! I've actually lost weight on a cruise and I am a Lifetime WW member.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Having a leisurely breakfast this morning at the hotel - plain non-fat yogurt and a huge cup of mixed berries, café au lait with skim milk - zero WW points, but $12 at the hotel coffee shop! I can't wait to be on the ship where at least the dollar cost is already paid.

I'll have my Active Link monitor on during the cruise, so I can keep track of how much activity I'm really getting - I like that it takes the guess work out of tracking activity. Didn't hit my target yesterday, but I expect to rack up a lot on the ship.

Time to pack us up and get ready to head to Port Everglades!

This week is already flying by! I have had mixed success on Simply Filling this week, but I can't really fault the ship.

Oceanview Café (buffet) has many healthy options, if you can pass by the other stuff – pretty decent salad bar, mixed greens, romaine, and iceberg plus a variety of toppings. Olive Oil and Red Wine and Balsamic vinegars, in addition to the dressings, which I bypassed. The grill always has chicken breast on hand. An easy way to add some protein. For breakfast, eggs cooked to order, plenty of fruit, yogurt.

Activity wise, I'm not doing as much as I think I am, if Active Link can be trusted. Haven't hit my target of 8 activity points, and I would have thought I would have easily hit it with all the stairs, dancing, etc.

Specialty restaurants and bars are pulling me away from Simply Filling, but I am trying to minimize the damage, while still having a good time.

Wifi is pricey, so I'll post again in a day or so.