Wetsuit questions at Galapagos

ppiew

i have never used a wetsuit but i now have one to take on our Galapagos tour but i am not sure of how it works or if it fits properly!. The legs are a bit long as are the arms and the torso is a bit baggy. Will this be adverse fitting if I try to use it? There is also a full body underliner with the suit. I am a good swimmer but I know next to nothing about wetsuits and the darn thing is HEAVY!! If i can't wear properly, I would just as soon leave it at home! Also as i have a hard time walking on uneven surfaces due to a past ankle injury, will I have trouble getting out of the water?

Edited by ppiew

You don't want baggy, it should be tight enough to take some work to get into. Can you go back to the store you bought it at and have them help you with a correct fit. If they won't help find a different store who will. That wetsuit needs to be returned anyway.

i have never used a wetsuit but i now have one to take on our Galapagos tour but i am not sure of how it works or if it fits properly!. The legs are a bit long as are the arms and the torso is a bit baggy. Will this be adverse fitting if I try to use it? There is also a full body underliner with the suit. I am a good swimmer but I know next to nothing about wetsuits and the darn thing is HEAVY!! If i can't wear properly, I would just as soon leave it at home! Also as i have a hard time walking on uneven surfaces due to a past ankle injury, will I have trouble getting out of the water?

If you have a weight problem (luggage I hasten to say!) or you are a normal size, I would leave the wetsuits behind, it doesn't sound like an ideal fit. We did however take our under liners. The waters are getting warmer so a long or short suit should be fine. We are in our 60's and didn't have any problems with the wet landings on our feet. Wet landings were generally in water well below the knees (and no rocks). Some dry landings did have rocks, but the guides always put out towels . Have a great time. If you are a good swimmer enjoy the deep sea snorkelling - no rocks under feet.

i guess the weight problem is dual - luggage and self!! I also am older as in 74 yrs old. I am going to give the wetsuit a 'test' in the pool and see how i like or dislike it. i am sure the others in the pool will think i am some kind of a nut with the thing on but it might save me from hauling it across the world!!

Don't bother taking the wetsuit u have described. A wetsuit should fit snugly...no baggy bits. If u wear what u have described, it will be a huge hindrance to u. U are better off trying the wetsuits that are on offer on the ship.

Enjoy your trip, it's a wonderful place.

Cheers

Jennifer

Shorties are easier to get on but full suits keep you warmer. So it depends on the water temperature and your own tolerance for being cold. I am a wimp (as is Rachael I gather) and will go with a long suit unless something dramatic happens to the water.