Question about Windstar cabins

anonymousegirl

I think there is just a difference in the room location with the BX being more central. I have been in room 101 on the Windspirit (sister ship to Windstar) and it was not a good room for us because the hull tapers there so the bed was pushed against the wall. It was also very noisy. It sounded like we were in the middle of a washing machine. We were able to move to another room 140, completely on the other end, and it was very quiet and comfortable. There was room on either side of the bed to get in and out.

I think there is just a difference in the room location with the BX being more central. I have been in room 101 on the Windspirit (sister ship to Windstar) and it was not a good room for us because the hull tapers there so the bed was pushed against the wall. It was also very noisy. It sounded like we were in the middle of a washing machine. We were able to move to another room 140, completely on the other end, and it was very quiet and comfortable. There was room on either side of the bed to get in and out.

Thanks, this is just the information I was looking for. I am so afraid of the noisy cabin!

There is usually a $400 difference between Bs and BXs. Windstar used to price the lowest deck as all B and the next deck up as all A. This BX/B/AX/A is a real nuisance for those of us loyal Windstar sailors. :mad:

If you can snag a B right next to a BX, then you save $400 and are basically in the same area. Ask your TA to get specific cabin numbers that are available, and grab the one that is right next to the higher priced BX.

Be aware that the waves have a tendency to wash against the portholes on B Deck...but it adds to the excitement of a Windstar cruise. :p

There is usually a $400 difference between Bs and BXs. Windstar used to price the lowest deck as all B and the next deck up as all A. This BX/B/AX/A is a real nuisance for those of us loyal Windstar sailors. :mad:

If you can snag a B right next to a BX, then you save $400 and are basically in the same area. Ask your TA to get specific cabin numbers that are available, and grab the one that is right next to the higher priced BX.

Be aware that the waves have a tendency to wash against the portholes on B Deck...but it adds to the excitement of a Windstar cruise. :p

Thanks for the tip. I tried calling tonight but Windstar was closed. I'll find out tomorrow which cabins are still available.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one reason to book with a very experienced agent, and to book early. We went with a B cabin on his advice and he was able to grab for us what he considered to be the best cabin in that range. Add me to the list of disgruntled people about the splitting of the decks - seems like a petty way to get more money without raising prices of the cheapest options.

In general though...the lowest deck will be right at the waterline, and you'll get considerable splashing of water against the portholes in almost any weather. When docked, if you're on the pier side you're going to see nothing but the side of the pier, but then I don't spend much time in my cabin so I don't care. You're also down one more flight of steps, but that's hardly an issue if you're in normal health.

I've never had much problem with vibration on Windstar, but there is a real difference when you're undersail (Seldom, in my experience) and when they're motoring, with the ship being really quiet under sail, and when motoring you get a sort of gentle vibration that can make for a good sleep.