Question about balcony staterooms in AK

ckelly14

Considering an Alaska trip on Princess for Summer 2015. Looking at the 2014 offering for comparison. Interested in a roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver or Seattle. The only options I see are the Golden and Grand out of Seattle and the Pacific out of Vancouver. Absolutely must have a balcony, and I noticed the options for a family of four are limited. The Princess only has "mini-suites" and above, and the Golden and Grand has a limited number of four person balconies. Most of the configurations say "Twin/2 uppers" which I assume is the lower bed is split into twins and there are 2 upper bunks. It does not give me the option of a queen and 2 upper bunks. Anyone that stayed in these rooms please advise on what this looks like. Thanks!

Edited by ckelly14

If you decide to do a balcony cabin I would suggest one on the Caribe deck, as you mention that you are going to be a group of 4, since they are larger and half covered. Their being half covered would be helpful in case of inclement weather.

The minisuites on the Dolphin deck are completely uncovered, which would limit the use if it rains.

The other option would be if you can get a minisuite on the Emerald deck, as they are fully covered. However there are only a few of them, and they usually get booked up quickly.

If you decide to do a balcony cabin I would suggest one on the Caribe deck, as you mention that you are going to be a group of 4, since they are larger and half covered. Their being half covered would be helpful in case of inclement weather.

The minisuites on the Dolphin deck are completely uncovered, which would limit the use if it rains.

The other option would be if you can get a minisuite on the Emerald deck, as they are fully covered. However there are only a few of them, and they usually get booked up quickly.

Great practical advice, thanks!

Having been on both the Caribe and the Dolphin decks on our trips to Alaska, I can say that you just can't go wrong with either. :D

I would make one suggestion as to the selection process. That is pick a "Starboard" cabin for best views of the towns and the mountains while in port! The starboard views are absolutely fantastic!:eek: