QM2 Random Impressions

dougnewmanatsea

Dear All,

As some of you may know, the Steamship Historical Society of America Long Island Chapter (despite the name, this is the SSHSA chapter for all of the NYC area) had the opportunity to visit QM2 today; I believe this is the first time such a visit has been organised at least on this side of the pond. Having not sailed in her yet, needless to say I jumped at the opportunity.

I will write a full ship review later. Right now I'm way too exhausted to begin doing that. So some random thoughts.

The designers have done a wonderful job not making her feel as mammoth as she is. She is divided into a lot of smaller, more intimate spaces, just like the newer HAL ships. I like this.

The decor is wildly varied, so much that I can hardly formulate an overall opinion of it. I wish she were fresh and different, which she isn't, but if you can excuse the overt retro-ness of the ship, there are some very nice spaces, e.g. the Britannia Restaurant or the wonderful foyers outside Illuminations. That said there is way too much mixing of styles in places (Exhibit A: Grand Lobby), and the ship is very clearly an American interpretation of "British" in many ways - there are spaces that look much more "British" than anything IN Britain, if you know what I mean. There are also a few spaces that actually attempt to be fresh and modern. They look clichéd and old hat. But there are spaces on this ship that are some of the nicest I've seen on any modern ship; some which I like so much they actually make up for the few spaces I can't stand and the many others that are "just OK".

Detailing and fit-and-finish is nice, probably the best I've seen on a modern ship not built at Meyer Werft (who still are the undisputed champions in this are). There is lots of fake wood but it is about the nicest I've seen - a lot of it almost looks real. There is loads of maritime art by many artists (including Cruise Critic member Stephen Card, who happens to be a friend of mine as well as my favorite maritime artist) which is wonderful. Her other art is rather nice too, except of course for the "auction art" which is perhaps marginally less tasteless than the hideous stuff found on most ships. I wish they would get rid of this. Fortunately, she has dedicated spaces for it and so it does not get in the way of the decor.

Many areas - lounges, stairwells, corridors - smelled (albiet often faintly) of cigarette smoke. I thought this was odd. There does not seem to be a tremendous amount of deliniation between smoking and non-smoking areas. This could be a problem for those who are allergic to cigarette smoke, and is a little irritating for those of us who just don't like the smell. It was a little surprising to see this on a ship aimed at the US and UK markets, as both countries have been very big on non-smoking laws lately.

The kennels were being used, which was nice to see.

Oh yes, the lunch... Food was very good (truth be told, it tasted just like Princess food - which is fine, since theirs is probably as good as any food that's ever been served in such huge quantities). Service was also very good from a very mixed, multi-ethnic crew (but most of the officers and higher-level crew are still British). I saw visible wear anywhere in the ship's interiors; she looked newer than any ship I've ever been on and I've been on a few that were newer then than she is now. Externally she looked great but for some deckhead panels that had been damaged by wind.

As always it was a great pleasure to spend time with like-minded ship enthusiasts. I finally got to meet the famous Ben Lyons (introduced by Bill Miller, no less) among other people who had managed to elude me previously.

Ah yes, the bookshop was open for business - cash only for those of us not sailing. I bought Roger Cartwright and Clive Harvey's "Cruise Britannia" and Bill Miller and Luis Miguel Correia's book on ROTTERDAM of 1959. Many other titles are present and I would have bought more but I hadn't brought enough cash.

A note about the NYPST: if it were at all possible, the place is even more of a disaster than ever before. Externally, huge sheets of paint have fallen off and there is rust and peeling paint all over; I'm not exaggerating when I say that there have to be some rust patches a few metres wide. This is absolutely disgraceful - the Port Authority or P&O Ports or whoever it is that is responsible for this ought to be very ashamed; the piers' exteriors have deteriorated so badly that they're almost as bad as many of the abandoned piers along the West Side.

Fortunately, NYC is such a great city that I don't think anybody really minds. But seeing the piers in such horrible disrepair still made me cringe; this is an appalling situation and it needs to be addressed NOW. It shows an exceptional lack of initiative on the part of the parties responsible for these things.

Anyhow, enough of this rambling, I'd better start wrapping this up before it becomes ten pages long and useful only as a sleep aid! A proper review and 100+ interior photos (which I will post even though there are many, undoubtedly far better ones out there) will be forthcoming.

But before I finish, what did I really think of her?

The objective answer: She's very nice. Nothing more, nothing less.

The subjective answer: I love this ship!

She has that indefinable quality, that elusive, intangible thing that some ship enthusiasts like to call "it"; the special something that makes her deficiencies almost irrelevant. There are plenty of them there - and rest assured, I'll pick on them later ;) - but for now, forget all that. She's a very special ship, worthy of carrying on the legacy of the great liners that came before.

Finally, a special thanks to Tom Cassidy at SSHSA LI for organizing this tour and to Cunard for having us aboard.

The designers have done a wonderful job not making her feel as mammoth as she is. She is divided into a lot of smaller, more intimate spaces, just like the newer HAL ships. I like this.

Agree - and I think it is more than just 'intimate' spaces - the Golden Princess, though only 2/3 the tonnage 'feels' much bigger - endless marches down corridors - I think the smart thing on the QM2 is that there are things to do fore, midships and aft - sensible design puts public rooms near the bow - not just cabins - and on this ship, two of my favourites - the Commodore Club and the Library

Detailing and fit-and-finish is nice, probably the best I've seen on a modern ship not built at Meyer Werft (who still are the undisputed champions in this are).

Agree - fit & finish on Meyer built Brilliance of the Seas even better than QM2 & quite a bit better than Fincaterri (iirc) Golden Princess.....

There is lots of fake wood but it is about the nicest I've seen - a lot of it almost looks real. There is loads of maritime art by many artists (including Cruise Critic member Stephen Card, who happens to be a friend of mine as well as my favorite maritime artist) which is wonderful.

I think longer exposure to the fake wood might make it begin to wear thin - though the maritime art is indeed excellent, and I spent a happy afternoon wandering the stairwells inspecting it all.

A note about the NYPST: if it were at all possible, the place is even more of a disaster than ever before. Fortunately, NYC is such a great city that I don't think anybody really minds.

Rather academic now....next stop Brooklyn! Any discussion of why this is happening?

She's a very special ship, worthy of carrying on the legacy of the great liners that came before.

Doug,

Thanks for posting your thoughts & delighted you enjoyed her - I agree, a worthy successor to the Queens.

Peter

......But before I finish, what did I really think of her?

She has that indefinable quality, that elusive, intangible thing that some ship enthusiasts like to call "it"; the special something that makes her deficiencies almost irrelevant. ......

'Hoorah .... the man man from DelMonte, he say Yes' ........ Sorry Doug this will only be understood on this side of the Pond. But very glad you have fallen for the charms of Mary!!!!

Regards

Ken

Dear All,

A note about the NYPST: if it were at all possible, the place is even more of a disaster than ever before. Externally, huge sheets of paint have fallen off and there is rust and peeling paint all over; I'm not exaggerating when I say that there have to be some rust patches a few metres wide. This is absolutely disgraceful - the Port Authority or P&O Ports or whoever it is that is responsible for this ought to be very ashamed; the piers' exteriors have deteriorated so badly that they're almost as bad as many of the abandoned piers along the West Side.

But before I finish, what did I really think of her?

She has that indefinable quality, that elusive, intangible thing that some ship enthusiasts like to call "it"; the special something that makes her deficiencies almost irrelevant. There are plenty of them there - and rest assured, I'll pick on them later ;) - but for now, forget all that. She's a very special ship, worthy of carrying on the legacy of the great liners that came before.

Finally, a special thanks to Tom Cassidy at SSHSA LI for organizing this tour and to Cunard for having us aboard.

Yes, thanks to Tom Cassidy.

I agree about PONY, an absolute disgrace.

I don't know about the "it". I feel it in some ships, like the Century, and perhaps the QM2 has it, but it wasn't as palpable to me.

I'd sail her for the experience. But, I just find her oversized. My overall feeling is overkill, but, that may change with some real experience aboard her.

Thanks Doug for your random thoughts. I look forward to your additional comments.

I do agree with your completely when you wrote " the ship is very clearly an American interpretation of "British" in many ways." When I was on her I felt in many of the areas of the ship was more representative of an Upscale Las Vegas hotel than a Cunarder.

I do agree with your completely when you wrote " the ship is very clearly an American interpretation of "British" in many ways." When I was on her I felt in many of the areas of the ship was more representative of an Upscale Las Vegas hotel than a Cunarder.

But what is a Cunarder - other than something in someone's imagination ??? And anyway, surely Cunard have been accommodating American tastes (including giving them what they accept as things 'British') since the 1920's.

Ken

My mother, grandmother and great grandparents only sailed Cunard and I am fortunate to have old photos id the inside of the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Mauritania. Those were “Cunarders”. Having the understated British elegance décor compare to the more “down played” Carnival décor sprinkled through the QM2.

Having the understated British elegance décor compare to the more “down played” Carnival décor sprinkled through the QM2.

Can you give examples of the "down played" Carnival decor? Costa ships are now just as hideous as Carnival ships and I see it on HAL's ships, but I can't say I noticed it on the QM2.

My mother, grandmother and great grandparents only sailed Cunard and I am fortunate to have old photos id the inside of the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and Mauritania. Those were “Cunarders”. Having the understated British elegance décor compare to the more “down played” Carnival décor sprinkled through the QM2.

sea-sea, your favourable interpretation of 'understated British elegance' on the Queen Mary would not have been the reaction of many contemporary Brits. The Queen Mary was deliberately decorated with American passengers in mind. As 'Cassandra' in the Dail Mirror observed 'The workmanship is magnificent, the materials used are splendid, and the result is appalling.....' Of course, what people forget, of the original Cassandra, was that she was right!

Peter

This is what I thought to be more Carnival than Cunard. Please remember these are just my own opinions and taste

• The pink chairs by the round windows (I think on 3 deck). In my opinion typical Carnival.
  • The “pewter bust” of Queen Mary in the Queens Room. Very plastic looking. I prefer the bust on QE2. outside of Britannia and the Grand Lobby.
  • The art deco murals on decks 2 and 3. They look wonderful in photos but when I standing next to them, you can tell they are plastic and some were even chipped.
  • The white cliffs over Dover mural and the one mural of the Fox and the curved staircases outside the restaurant
  • The G32 nightclub reminds me more of being in a Russian submarine
  • The fabric on the seats in the planetarium
  • Too much red and purple in the fabrics throughout the ship
  • The murals in Queen’s room. They should be more formal and not foam board with a frame. I think paintings of Queen Mary would be more elegant for such an elegant room
  • The plastic trees in the winter garden and the plastic butterflies on plastic grass. They should have al least real trees wit

However, I do think there are elegant and more of the Cunard style parts of the ships (rooms that I will stick to when I cruise). They are:

• The Britannia restaurant
  • Stephen Card’s wonderful paintings
  • The Grills
  • The Chart room
  • The Commodore club
  • The Pavilion
  • The Atlantic Room
  • Sir Samuel’s wine bar

Agree - and I think it is more than just 'intimate' spaces

True. Whatever it is, they did a wonderful job. The overwhelming feeling of hugeness I've found on other ships, all smaller than QM2 of course, is simply not there.

I think longer exposure to the fake wood might make it begin to wear thin

Well, 95% of it looked OK to me - almost real. Some of it was not great, but it was the best fake wood I've seen, on land or at sea.

Of course I'd have preferred the real stuff, but even for QM2 the cost would have been prohibited. (Yes, they could have used real wood if they wanted to... It would just have been a very thin veneer.)

Any discussion of why this is happening?

None that I know of. I mean, there may have been amongst SSHSA members, but it was not as though they officially gave an explanation in their "welcome aboard" speeches and whatnot.

I would have liked to have asked Ben about this (and plenty of other things), but only had the chance to speak to him for about two minutes.

When I finally sail in QM2 for real, I will be sure to see if I can find out more.

I don't know about the "it". I feel it in some ships, like the Century, and perhaps the QM2 has it, but it wasn't as palpable to me.

Haven't been on CENTURY, so I can't compare. But I did feel it on QM2.

She has the soul of a real Cunarder.

I'd sail her for the experience. But, I just find her oversized.

In almost all other cases, I'd say exactly the same thing. My ideal ship size is the 400 to 1000 passenger range - so far, far smaller than QM2.

But truthfully, unlike the other ships in this size range that I've been on, I did not feel at all overwhelmed by QM2's size. Perhaps because unlike many other ships, all that extra space was used to do just that - provide extra space.

Earlier than the 20's, in fact--I believe that Cunard intended to cater to American markets since its beginnings in the 1840s.

Indeed, so far as I am aware, Cunard never intended to be a line just for Brits travelling to America - but rather to be for Americans travelling to Britain and Europe as well.

Certainly, they were designing ships to appeal to American tastes far before the '20s, anyway.

QM2 is intended to appeal to both American and British tastes... And seems successful at that. But there are places like the Golden Lion or the Winter Garden which are clearly designed for Americans who otherwise might have complained that the ship "isn't British enough".

She has her fair share of unsuccessful (IMHO) or only reasonably successful areas... But there are others that are undoubtedly as good or better than anything that has been put to sea since QE2.

First of all, the ship is not perfect but we all know only one being that is, that is if we exclude the opinion you have of yourself!

For those of you who prefer wood, perhaps you should try campaigning aginst the agency that now says there can be no wood on lines at sea!

Even the paintings had to be painted on aluminium! Don't think that this kept the passenger from stealing them from the elevators! Commodore Warwick was quite angry about this!

I took this lady on a 14 day cruise and did not get to sample all of the ship. The history put on the ship for those of us who were maritine enthusiasts really set the stage. The extras such as the planetarium and the lectures were wonderful. The library was actually the best I have ever seen and the maritine bookstore was a real plus! The lectures were very interested and given by the highest caliber speakers.

It wa wonderful to be able to actually talk with the officers, they seemed interested in speaking about ships and the sea. I have not found that on my 35+ cruises on non British Deck Officer Ships. All cabins were large as compared to those on the lesser ships. Our Concierge Room on the Millenium, actually the size of a regular room, is smaller than the inside cabins on the QM2. We did not use the Kings Count - why settle for steam table food when a grand restaurant awaits you? The decor of the grills did not match the Britannia Dining Room, however the service was wonderful.

I was embarassed by my fellow Americans onboard frequently and hope that it is not because the "ugly american" is still common. The treatment of the stewards, waiters, bartenders, etc. showed a lack of sensitivity and actual human values. Guess it is no wonder that the Americans tend to be hated worldwide.

We did not have children in our cabin, but the children's facilities were grand. This is the first time I traveled where I heard the children crying onshore and in the tenders asking their parents why they were being taken away from the ship.

Now that the Cunard Captains have been replaced with Princess Captains, I hope changes won't occur. I certainly would not want to travel in a storm in the transatlantic with a Captain without that experience.

If you don't care for this magnificant ship, pleae take another of the many ships availalble. There is enough choice for people with many levels of taste nd vacation requirements. Allow those of us who love this ship to enjoy her.

If you sail on the QM2, please take time to speak to the crewmembers as though they were humans of the same caliber as you see yourself. If you believe you paid too much, don't complain to them or punish them with small or no tips. It is not their fault that they are underpaid and expected to service a large number of cabins and tables. We were treated with the respect we gave them.

I expect folks with bad attitudes or just plain psychlogical problems on every

cruise, just be quite in public and don't ruin the cruise for everyone else.

This is also the largest ship and will not dock at every port on a cruise. If you don't like tenders, stay away as you will have them on this ship. If you have difficulty walking or require a mobilized chair, you will often be kept off the tenders for the safety of everyone else on board.

For those of you who prefer wood, perhaps you should try campaigning aginst the agency that now says there can be no wood on lines at sea!

This is a misconception.

A very thin, real wood veneer can be used. However, the cost to use real would would be prohibitive, hence the fake wood.

It is really not bad, but after a while it can get a little wearing... However there is no practical solution to this.

Of course, the interior designers could have gotten daring and not used any "wood", real or fake, at all - but I guess that did not mesh with the retro theme for the ship's interiors.

I just found this Thread.........I enjoyed everyone impressions. Glad to see my friend Ken C. has posted here.

My partner and I liked many things about her but overall we were not Impressed. To us Yanks she is VERY American and is a crusie ship with an Ocean Liner decor.

We still miss Caronia.

from my two crossings aboard QM2 last october/novemberr i came away with the impression that she is a ship with a split personalityin a coupel of ways. the design is that of an ocean liner but the feel and experience is that of a mass market cruise ship. kings court is an abomination and should be relegated to a school cafeteria. the other reason she has a split personality is that one has a completely different experience traveling in grill class from the rest of the ship. service is completely different (you get three dedicated servers) and although much of the menus are the same, plating and preparation are much nicer. you can order anything you want in grill class off the menu. in addition theres a seperate lounge, a concierge service and much larger staterooms. this doesnt mean the rest of the ship isnt lovely. it is, at least parts of it. but all in all i was underwhelmed and much prefer QE2.

from my two crossings aboard QM2 last october/novemberr i came away with the impression that she is a ship with a split personalityin a coupel of ways. the design is that of an ocean liner but the feel and experience is that of a mass market cruise ship....

Have you not been onboard QE2 lately?????

....kings court is an abomination and should be relegated to a school cafeteria. ....... this doesnt mean the rest of the ship isnt lovely. it is, at least parts of it. but all in all i was underwhelmed and much prefer QE2.

How can you call Kings Court an abomination and prefer QE2 with her rank Lido Cafeteria????

.. the other reason she has a split personality is that one has a completely different experience traveling in grill class from the rest of the ship. service is completely different (you get three dedicated servers) and although much of the menus are the same, plating and preparation are much nicer. you can order anything you want in grill class off the menu. in addition theres a seperate lounge, a concierge service and much larger staterooms...... but all in all i was underwhelmed and much prefer QE2.

Hello??? Are you sure you have been on the QE2???? This is the whole concept of Grill Class on Cunard.

This is a misconception.

A very thin, real wood veneer can be used. However, the cost to use real would would be prohibitive, hence the fake wood.....

This is not 100% true - from my days as an interior designer I recall that some of the better 'fake' wood laminates are MORE expensive than the real thing. Apart from the very rare species of wood, timber veneer is not that expensive. I imagine that very thin real wood veneer is not used much because it is not durable enough for wear and tear on a ship.

So next time anyone sees some nice looking 'fake' wood, remember it is probably very expensive and you may find yourself liking it a little more!!!!

How can you call Kings Court an abomination and prefer QE2 with her rank Lido Cafeteria????.

KenC - I'm definitely with you on this one - Kings Court is MILES ahead of the Lido - I actually ate there once or twice - and not bad, as buffets go, and as buffets go - I went!

Peter (with apologies to Saki...)

i agree that lido cafe on QE2 is also a pretty awful place. and im aware that grill class on QE2 also exists. its just a general feeling aboard her that makes for a more pleasant experience(for me. others may feel differently). also as i recall (i may be wrong) but the lido on QE2 is out of the way while on QM2 you had to walk thru the kings court to get from one end of 7 deck to the other (unless you went outside.)

This is what I thought to be more Carnival than Cunard. Please remember these are just my own opinions and taste

• The pink chairs by the round windows (I think on 3 deck). In my opinion typical Carnival.
  • The “pewter bust” of Queen Mary in the Queens Room. Very plastic looking. I prefer the bust on QE2. outside of Britannia and the Grand Lobby.
  • The art deco murals on decks 2 and 3. They look wonderful in photos but when I standing next to them, you can tell they are plastic and some were even chipped.
  • The white cliffs over Dover mural and the one mural of the Fox and the curved staircases outside the restaurant
  • The G32 nightclub reminds me more of being in a Russian submarine
  • The fabric on the seats in the planetarium
  • Too much red and purple in the fabrics throughout the ship
  • The murals in Queen’s room. They should be more formal and not foam board with a frame. I think paintings of Queen Mary would be more elegant for such an elegant room
  • The plastic trees in the winter garden and the plastic butterflies on plastic grass. They should have al least real trees wit

However, I do think there are elegant and more of the Cunard style parts of the ships (rooms that I will stick to when I cruise). They are:

• The Britannia restaurant
  • Stephen Card’s wonderful paintings
  • The Grills
  • The Chart room
  • The Commodore club
  • The Pavilion
  • The Atlantic Room
  • Sir Samuel’s wine bar

Had you been on our Carribean Cruise's Sail Away Party from Barbados - held in the Queens Room to the music of the G32 Nightclub band - you may have gotten that cruise ship feeling listening to "Who Let the Dog's Out." At first I thought, did we change ships (RCCL Navigator of the Seas was in port with us) - am on on RCCL? And with the busts of King George and Queen Mary looking on, whom our Assistant Cruise Director was embracing while dancing (yes,and singing to their Majesties also).

The best of QM2 is not in the interior decor but in the way she deals with the task of sailing the north Atlantic. There is no other ship in the world that can do it like she does. A modern marvel.

David.

Archived