OCEANIA vs. WINDSTAR

LindaKay

We have taken both, but the larger of the Windstar vessels, Wind Surf. They are definitely different experiences.

WindStar is much smaller so u have fewer options in terms of pools, entertainment etc. I would definitely put Oceania ahead on dining. Windstar offers a yacht-like experience whereas Oceania is an intimate cruise ship. For example, we could go onto the bridge more or less whenever we wished on Wind Surf. There are no balconies on Windstar as far as I know. I think you will also find that the cruise speed is quite different so that may affect the choice of itinerary.

We would happily go on either again.

That is a difficult question as it depends what you are looking for. Oceania is larger so it has entertainment, more passengers which is good and bad. For example, they both have open seating. On Windstar we asked to be seated with others but other than when we arranged it ourselves we never were. On Oceania, they did a great job of building tables at dinner. Maybe it was easier as they had more than twice as many passengers to work with or maybe the maitre'd was more competent.

We were on the lower passenger deck of the Wind Surf and the water washed over our porthole. On the Insignia we had a window and looked down on the water. We enjoyed both!

The Windsurf anchored in smaller bays on our cruise and we felt like one of the yachts, whereas Oceania docked in larger ports. Windstar have sport platforms on the stern. Most of the time on our cruise it was too rough to use but in other conditions it might be just what u are looking for.

I know a lot of people really like the Windstar food (or did a few years back when we did our cruise). We found it fine but not exciting. We much preferred dining on Oceania, as we should as they really make focus on cuisine.

Windsurf sailing out of a bay at sunset with the sails up and 1492 playing... Oceania didn't quite match this mood when leaving port.

I don't happen to like the 18% gratuity on Oceania drinks...it is over the top but we liked their drink of the day choices as they provided an affordable drink in a public place, even for a Canadian! I also like the option of bringing liquor on board Oceania. I am not sure of the Windstar policy at this time.

Embarkation was very relaxed on both. Oceania let us on without the obligatory credit card imprint (provided next day) which a found to be a nice touch of trust!

Local knowlege was much better on Windstar. Oceania didn't appear to have much port expertise. That said we were on a Transatlantic which is more challenging than a repeating cruise.

The libary on the Insignia was superb.

Again. I hope this helps. My recommendation if you can't decide is to do both!

I have only been on small ships; ten of those cruises on Windstar. We are getting a little bored. I thought some questions for medium-sized cruiseline paasengers were in order at this time. I have been told continually how great the food is on Windstar. I think it's OK, but not great, but have not much to contrast it with. You have given me food for thought!

Archived