Question on wanting to pay for a higher category cabin

cruise_bunnies

Dear People,

I have a strange question, and I can't seem to find the answer, so I will ask you. Suppose I book a cruise now, and I book an interior for a great price for me. After a while, the prices of the oceanview, lanai or other cabins might drop to become affordable for me.

If I don't want to wait for an upsell offer, can I call HAL to book a higher category cabin? If I can, what will I pay? The difference in price between the interior and the desired category at that time (for example interior dropped to 800, lanai is 1100, so I pay 300 euros) or the difference between what I paid (for example 900 euros for my interior, lanai is now 1100 so 200 euros ?) or something else altogether? Does it matter if I do this before or after final payment?

Thanks for helping out,

cruise_bunnies

If you do this before the final payment date it is simply the difference between what you paid and the new rate, because you can always cancel and rebook with no penalty. I've done this a couple of times.

For a price drop after final payment date, each case is handled individually depending on what cabins are available. You might get a free upgrade to the category then selling for what you paid, you might get OBCs, you might be able to pay the 200 difference, and you might get nothing.

Edited by jtl513

If you do this before the final payment date it is simply the difference between what you paid and the new rate, because you can always cancel and rebook with no penalty. I've done this a couple of times.

For a price drop after final payment date, each case is handled individually depending on what cabins are available. You might get a free upgrade to the category then selling for what you paid, you might get OBCs, you might be able to pay the 200 difference, and you might get nothing.

Thank you for your response. I'm still brainstorming on what is best to do. Taking an interior for a good price and possibly been stuck with it or waiting until another category becomes affordable.

John, I don't know if you noticed the OP is from Holland. You quoted US rules for cancel and rebook which are not necessarily the same in Europe as in British passengers lose their deposit if they cancel.

Don't worry about getting "stuck" with an inside cabin. On HAL ships, even the interior cabins are pretty nice!

We have learned the importance of getting a spot locked in on a cruise one really wants to take. You must watch the prices, but if they go down before final payment all it takes is a phone call to take advantage of the lower price. And if the fare goes up, you still have a lock on the booking price.

The biggest opportunity for savings is on the cruise when you don't care where, when or what cabin. Every time one makes a choice, the price of cruising goes up.

We enjoyed many a fine cruise in interior staterooms. Now that the portfolio has recovered, we are a little bit more fussy and spend a little more. :D

I'm not sure how that deposit works, because we never had one. Last cruise we booked last minute. I did hear from a Dutch friend that they will honor price drops before the 90 Day Window, without you losing your deposit.

Be very aware of the fact that those of us with a NL adress have to book through HAL NL and HAL NL has different terms&conditions than for instance HAL USA. Most on here are not Dutch nor live here and thus will have different conditions to abide by and thus answer with those when asked about their experience.

As far as bookings with HAL NL;

- any changes until 90 days out in stateroom, itinerary, ship, departure date can be made free of change or cancellation fee

- as soon as you make a booking, you do commit. As stated you can alter now (used to not even be so) but as soon as you put the deposit down you can not flat out cancel and not expect to be hit with the cancellation fee

- upgrading resulting in you paying more can be done at any time (including within 90 days of departure) without change or cancellation fee

- When altering any reservation the price for what you are changing to at the moment of changing will be charged. So the "added costs" would be new price for new choice minus old fare.

- say you are out more than 90 days. You booked an MM inside for €1000,- and see an oceanview HH is now selling for €700,- and MM now for €500,- . You can decide to only have them apply the new price/promo and stay put in the MM or move up to HH and still save. With both; new promo can mean loosing old promo extras!!!!

-say you are within the 90 days. You see a lower price. HAL NL will no longer decrease the price for the category of stateroom you already booked (simply put, at that point it becomes new booking subject to cancellation fee that is way too high). However, if a higher category is the same price or less as what you have paid for your booking they can and will -availability being there, obviously- upgrade you at your request to said category for the same old fare. You will also have to request said adjustment by mail after calling, as they require for any and all alterations. This is something so they have your consent in writing and no passenger throwing a hissy fit at the terminal afterwards. ;-)

- be aware that new prices can be a new promo and when asking for said new price you will have to let go of old promos on general. It's either or, not and and and.

- it can be scary sounding to hear them say "new booking". Esp. for us Dutchies, used to the dutch travel industry terms&conditions. It's not really, but they see it as a new booking, also resulting in a new booking confirmation number. Makes for a bit more paperwork etc. in you mailbox, but ok. They will basically cancel the old one without fee, move you deposit to the new booking at the new price and sent you that new confirmation.

To give you some examples;

- I booked my 2013 cruise about 2.5 months out. Within about a week I decide not to go with the 7-night, but add on another 7 nights and turn it into a 14-nighter. At about 1 month out price lowers a bit. Called HAL NL, all was in order to have my booked HH-category moved up to a max off E, given that new E price was still a bit lower than my HH-fare. (didn't go through since I need an accessible stateroom and they were all sold) I changed from 7 night to 14 night at no cost, since it was seen as a "makes us more money, no fee for that" ;).

- I booked a 14-night Baltic cruise for june 14 in summer 2013. Couple months later unfortunately learned that St. Petersburg no longer is an option for me excursion wise, needs and accessibility options can't be turned into a match. Darned! So I moved the reservation to the 14-night Northcape itinerary with no fee, obviously fare being altered to the current price for that itinerary at the day of movement. Were some other issues, which resulted in HAL moving me to a G-cat for my booked L-cat price. Last december, the price of this itinerary dropped as I was expecting. Drop was 20%. Old booking was under the explore4 promo, so changing over to new price meant giving up those promotions. No biggie for me as I don't drink alcohol etc. Called HAL, confirmed wanting to switch to current price/promo and within about an hour had the new paperwork in my mailbox. (and if wondering, yes they keep their word on paying L-category) For this reservation already had 4 or 5 confirmation numbers and wouldn't be surprised if that might change one more time if the same price fluctation is to be expected as last 2 years on this itinerary. Since this, the price for an inside already has gone up a bit again, not for oceanview, or lanai (oh boy, if I were a rich girl............).

Very normal common practice, any of the callcenter employees will be able to do this and inform you properly. The upgrading after 90 days if the price drop upto matching your paid cruise fair is something not all of them are that knowledgable about, all managers will and most agents will be proactive enough to ask managers.

Being stuck in an inside? I say book what you KNOW you will be fine with. If prices do lower, great. If not, you don't find yourself having booked something that you will regret and/or paying more than you can/want to afford in order to then avoid that inside and pay for it.

Some folks do fine in insides. Some prefer them. Some wouldn't care, some would have it impact their enjoyment so much they would've rather not cruised and saved up another year. Nobody but you knows what your style of cruising is. Look at picks of inside staterooms of the ship you are considering; how does that feel? Look at some videos at youtube for the same type of inside, how does that feel? How would you spent your cruising days on the itinerary you are considering? For instance if you are already planning lots of time in port on excursions and roaming around the ship, the stateroom is little more than a place to crash. If you spent loads of time in the stateroom you could feel very different in the same stateroom than if only crashing in it.

I've done insides before and stuck? Nop. I know what to expect, check out online what to expect. To me the benefits of the inside are worth it, which does include pricing amongst others. Heck, I am still bummed out that I couldn't get an inside on that june itinerary and would lovingly give up my G for it. It really does take all kinds of folks of different strokes. It's all about what fits your way of cruising.

Selma, thank you so much for your enlightening and long reply that basically answers all my questions and your very good examples!

BumperII, I know an interior cabin can be fine (incidentally, we are looking at Nordic Fjord cruising in July/August), but we never did it before. I'm not quite sure what is going to happen with prices.

That's why I was wondering: do I book an interior now to make sure we will cruise in any case - or do I wait and see what we can snatch last minute. And if I book an interior, what are my options later on.

Cruisebunnies, no perfect recollection for august, but may/june/july was my time frame I'ld been looking to book last year at that last minute moment and had been keeping track of the price for about 2 years as I was planning it for 2014.

For what it is worth; the prices that are out now are the lowest I have seen minus the last minute promo within the last............ 60 days orso? I basically had the same price at my 2.5 months out booking for 7 nighter and 14 nighter as they are quoting now and fares before that 2.5 months until about 6 months out were a lot higher. Noticed a promo about that 6/7 months out that was just slightly more than the fare I got at 2.5 months out. About 3 weeks after I booked, the price lowered a bit more. To give you an idea, about €150 on a fare of €2500 for 2 weeks. (HH cat)

I'ld personally feel fine with booking current prices, comparing them with those of 2013 and 2012 and given how the price fluctuated. I'ld find it a fare worth it, even if the price were to drop after the 90 day mark. But, that is up to you. What are you willing to pay and what do you expect for it? And how important is having choice of stateroom to you or running the risk of very limited choice or only guarantee at some cats if booking within that 90 days mark. The only real question is, will price drop within 90 days of sailing and if so; by how much compared to current rates? (after all if price drops before 90 days out you can get that lower price)? And how flexible is your agenda? Can you be flexible with departure dates to be able to score a deal if need be or would you need to hand in your vacation request at least x-amount of weeks beforehand with your employer?

Practical Norway and inside; promenade and lido deck are both great options for fjord watching. Promenade was very quiet after day 1 or 2 after departure on my 14 nights, grab yourself a loungechair, hot cup of coffee, blanket and enjoy. Lido is warm, comfy, drink and food nearby. On both decks you can hear the talks going on about the fjords as you sail through them in the afternoon, can't be heard on your own balcony. Norway does come with long nights with the light so if you are a light sleeper that might be a plus for an inside (I had an oceanview, found the curtains not to be sufficiant to make room dark-dark, body did pick up on it being lighter outside).

Selma, thank you again for your very helpful reply. We are very flexible and I have at least 11 possible sailings from just HAL, and am able to make many more if we would consider doing another line. Since we are looking at departure ports in Holland, we don't have to factor in airline costs.

August/July sailings haven't dropped much yet, while May/June have already. We were thinking of booking if the sailings would reach €700-800 for 7 days for an interior or €1200-€1400 for the 14 day sailings. Or just going last minute again.

I guess I've never been this undecided about a holiday before ;)

• 4 weeks later...