Enchantment of the Seas July 11 Sailing

We just returned from the Enchantment of the Seas July 11 cruise.

We were on a family reunion and we had a total of 3 cabins - one on the 7th floor and two on the second floor. Throughout the entire trip at any given time our bathrooms were inoperable creating a most unpleasant and embarrassing situation. We were forced to use the public facilities - sometimes in the middle of the night only to find many of those bathrooms were not functioning too. Many guests that we met throughout the trip had the same problem. This problem ruined our entire trip and in all our years of cruising we have never encountered such a horrible situation.

thegreenepea

What a disappointment! There's something to be said about a cruise line failing to meet life's basic needs (no sarcasm intended) as opposed to missing a port, substandard cuisine, or other types of complaints. How did RCI handle these complaints?

RCC constantly was trying to rectify the problem and were extremely apologetic. However, no matter how hard they tried they never were able to fix the problem. It just seemed to travel (no pun intended) from one floor to another and then back again.

I'm glad that I wasn't on my honeymoon!!!!

Having been a member of these forums for a couple of years, this seems to be a constant problem experienced after a ship comes out of a major refurbishment.

There are ALWAYS problems after major work has been done and this ship was stretched in only 30 days time. Monarch had a TON of similar problems for a month or more after refurbishment. Empress had some complaints as did Soveriegn. I believe Soveriegn had fewer problems than Monarch (first in the series) and Empress. I suspect that the problems experienced with Monarch helped smooth the way on Empress and Soveriegn, even though Empress is a different class ship.

Now comes Enchantment, the first of the Vision class to be stretched. Did anyone really think there wasn't going to be problems with this ship straight out of the dry dock? There will be problems with the next Vision class ship to be stretched (if there is a another) but I bet it will be less with each time. The first time they're not sure what's going to pop up (or not go down as the case may be) but with each succession of stretches, those problems will have been solved before they happen.

I'm sorry it ruined your family reunion and hopefully RCI will do something to help make it right. But if tempremental toilets was the worst that happened to you, then it can't be all that bad.

Edit because I type to slow:

What's great about finding these forums in not making the mistakes others have made. Without them, I wouldn't know not to book a newly refurbished ship and what ships were getting overhauled and when. I'd be like many who cruise, completely in the dark about what's going on and how it would affect me.

I was another member of TheGreenPea's family reunion and I was also disgusted with the inoperable toilets throughout the entire ship. Yes, I am tolerant of a glitch here and there, especially after a ship is either new or newly refurbished. However, I believe that RCI has a responsibility to provide a safe, healthy, and sanitary environment to their guests. In all of my years of sailing, I have never been inconvenienced by so many malfunctioning toilets in the cabins and in all the public areas. If the cabin toilet was inoperable, you were forced to get dressed and leave your cabin to find a public facility, even in the middle of the night or early morning hours. In many cases the public restrooms were crowded because others had to leave their cabins for the same reason. There were also times when some public restrooms were closed because all the toilets were inoperable and the restroom was flooded. Enough said about this....I'm sure you all get the idea. It wasn't pretty.:( :(

I also noticed some "cost cutting" measures. I do not enjoy eating heavy meals during the day and have always depended upon the yogurt machine in the Windjammer for a light lunch or snack. I was very disappointed to find that this ship does not have a yogurt machine. I also found the breakfast buffet very disappointing. The pancakes, waffles, and french toast were always luke warm or cold and not very tasty. The only viable options were to either go to the dining room, or have a continental breakfast or a made to order omelette in the Windjammer.

Now for the disembarkation nightmare. :mad: :mad: We had booked a 10:15 AM flight out of Newark airport. We informed guest relations during the cruise and they indicated that there wouldn't be any problem since they planned to begin disembarkation at 8:00 am. They gave us specific instructions as to how to tag our luggage and where to meet for an early disembarkation. We were at our designated meeting place at 8:00 am, and we were informed that the ship would not be ready to disembark until 9:00. Finally, the ship was cleared, but since all the luggage wasn't off the ship, they still wouldn't let anyone leave. Long story short, we never left the ship until 9:50 and then had to take the bus to the terminal. By the time we got to the terminal, picked up our luggage, and got a taxi, we arrived at Newark airport at 10:15, which was the time of our departure. We missed the flight and had to pay $25 per person to change our reservations to a later flight.

Just thought anyone who was planning to sail this ship should be aware of these issues. If you haven't already booked this ship, think about some other options.

Honestly......I was not Enchanted on the Enchantment of the Seas.

I would be honest to say that nonworking toilets would not ruin my entire trip. It might be a major inconvienence but not ruined. Are you telling us that the shows you attended, the port excursions you took & the sights you saw, the company you were with etc also ruined your trip? There has to be something that was positive. Just remember taht this was a ship that just came back from major reconstruction. All the kinks have not been worked out yet. I am sure that the crew & staff were doing their best to rectify the problems as to the best of their abilities. Even a brand new has her problems.

The 10:15 flight is cutting it to short, one should plan to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior to the flight. Most require a passenger to be at the boarding gate a 1/2 prior to departure. Plus allow for the time it takes to get to the airport and through the security checkpoints.

I don't think RCCI should be at fault for you missing your flight.

I also noticed some "cost cutting" measures. I do not enjoy eating heavy meals during the day and have always depended upon the yogurt machine in the Windjammer for a light lunch or snack. I was very disappointed to find that this ship does not have a yogurt machine. I also found the breakfast buffet very disappointing. The pancakes, waffles, and french toast were always luke warm or cold and not very tasty. The only viable options were to either go to the dining room, or have a continental breakfast or a made to order omelette in the Windjammer.

Thanks for your honest review...

Did they have any sort of light afternoon snack available at the buffet? We have late seating dinner, and like a light snack (fruit, etc) in the afternoon to tide us over. Thanks

GrannyG and thegreenepea - You certainly have grounds to complain about the sewer problem! :eek:

GrannyG - RCCL is NOT at fault for your airline problem. The cruiselines suggest that you should not book air before 12:00 noon on disembarkation day.

Did they have any sort of light afternoon snack available at the buffet? We have late seating dinner, and like a light snack (fruit, etc) in the afternoon to tide us over. Thanks

whale-watcher..... The room service menu is available 24/7. They have healthy food on there. Fruit, cheese....and a great tuna pita sandwich.

You'll need to tip the person delivering your Room Service. I think they are very content with a buck or two.

BTW, we saw whales spouting ! With the sea so calm....it wasn't too difficult to see. ;)

I do have to agree about the toilet problem. As that is not acceptable. I hope they give you some sort of compensation.

BUT...as far as the flight time goes? I have to disagree with this one. I am getting ready to buy tickets for my Enchantment cruise shortly. I called RCI personally to see what the earliest flight I could safely make. They told me not to book a flight any time prior to 12:00 p.m. They were very clear about this.

I don't know of any cruise that you could catch a flight at 10:15 am. I usually allow an hour for getting through security and the airport-not to mention travel time to the airport.

I hope RCI gets it together with this. You have a legitimate claim regarding the toilet, and it is only appropriate for RCI to compensate you (and others) for that terrible experience. More than anything it would be unsanitary and be a breeding ground for Noro Virus. Like most large companies I wouldn't be surprised if they waited for the complaints rather than take action first. I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, hopefully they will come through.

I was another member of TheGreenPea's family reunion and I was also disgusted with the inoperable toilets throughout the entire ship. Yes, I am tolerant of a glitch here and there, especially after a ship is either new or newly refurbished. However, I believe that RCI has a responsibility to provide a safe, healthy, and sanitary environment to their guests. In all of my years of sailing, I have never been inconvenienced by so many malfunctioning toilets in the cabins and in all the public areas. If the cabin toilet was inoperable, you were forced to get dressed and leave your cabin to find a public facility, even in the middle of the night or early morning hours. In many cases the public restrooms were crowded because others had to leave their cabins for the same reason. There were also times when some public restrooms were closed because all the toilets were inoperable and the restroom was flooded. Enough said about this....I'm sure you all get the idea. It wasn't pretty.:( :(

Now for the disembarkation nightmare. :mad: :mad: We had booked a 10:15 AM flight out of Newark airport. We informed guest relations during the cruise and they indicated that there wouldn't be any problem since they planned to begin disembarkation at 8:00 am. They gave us specific instructions as to how to tag our luggage and where to meet for an early disembarkation. We were at our designated meeting place at 8:00 am, and we were informed that the ship would not be ready to disembark until 9:00. Finally, the ship was cleared, but since all the luggage wasn't off the ship, they still wouldn't let anyone leave. Long story short, we never left the ship until 9:50 and then had to take the bus to the terminal. By the time we got to the terminal, picked up our luggage, and got a taxi, we arrived at Newark airport at 10:15, which was the time of our departure. We missed the flight and had to pay $25 per person to change our reservations to a later flight.

Just thought anyone who was planning to sail this ship should be aware of these issues. If you haven't already booked this ship, think about some other options.

Thank you for your honest review.

I understand how upsetting the toilet situation was, and that you are compensated. On the other hand, a glitch is a glitch. We only had toilets go out on Deck 2 during the 7/7 cruise (for about a half hour), and all indications were that the previous cruises were glitch free. I think telling people to book another ship, while it is your opinion and your right, is a bit excessive. Things happen. I'm sorry this happened on your cruise, and I hope that your complaints are heard.

As for snacks, they can be ordered through room service, as others have said. In terms of the frozen yogurt, I think it was eliminated as a revenue generating measure--in other words, Ben & Jerry's. :rolleyes: Personally, I thought the yogurt machine was not necessary--saw a lot of kids playing around with it, and a lot of yogurt wasted. But that's MHO.

As for the buffet, when we went there, we skipped the pancakes and waffles because we know it's too hard to keep that kind of stuff piping hot on a steam tray. We had omelets, which were delicious. And we had a good breakfast in the dining room. Did you try the dining room? My husband had pancakes there and was very happy.

Finally--if you booked your own flight, then the costs incurred because of late disembarkation are your responsibility. Because of this our TA never books any flight for us before noon.

By the way, was there anything on the cruise that you considered positive?

Yucko!

I'm sorry about your plumbing problem, it does sound like something worthy of compensation.

I don't think it's necessarily something that can be blamed on refurbishment though since there were two prior cruises (I was on the 7/7 one) with no significant plumbing problems that I heard of. I'm pretty chatty and if your situation was going on during my cruise, I'm sure I would have heard some grumbling :eek:

Not that it's an acceptable situation, but I guess i"m trying to say it's one of those things that could have popped up at any time.

As far as the food, I know you were dissapointed at the lack of a yogurt machine, but there were huge food choices in the Windjammer for breakfast. Waffles & pancakes aren't the best buffet fare by nature, but they had lots of fruit-both whole and cut, several cereal choices-both hot and cold, a large pastry selection, bacon, sausage (pork and turkey) corn beef hash, ham, scrambled eggs on the regular buffet line and the seperate omlette station. There were bagels with several toppings, several types of breads for toasting, regular yogurt in several flavors. I'm pretty sure I saw a carving station as well, won't swear to it though because I'm not much of a meat eater at breakfast.

What else would you expect on a buffet line? And if none of that appealed to you, you did have the option of eating at the full service dining room.

Holly

Sorry you experienced these problems. We were on the Enchantment in January, pre-dry dock, and loved her. She is a beautiful ship.

As far as the 10:15 a.m. flight, it sounds like you may be an experienced cruiser, so you played the odds that they usually get cleared quickly and it didn't work out. RCI more than likely did not delay the ship, it was probably Customs and/or Immigration that caused it to be delayed. Sorry you missed your flight, but as others have said you should have been at Newark about 8:45 a.m. and that wasn't likely to happen in a perfect scenario.

I was on the Enchantment on July 5th - 7th. They had similar plumbing problems during that time. They also had similar problems in the public facilities. However, having said that you must realize what that ship went through to be delivered to Bayonne in time for your departure. What RCL should have done was cancel out those two sailings out of Bayonne and completed the necessary work. The cruise lines (ALL OF THEM) are notorious for trying to rush a dry-dock because the longer that ship sits empty, the less revenue they make.

Not always, are the comforts of a passenger always taken into consideration.

You do have a valid complaint on the plumbing situation and if your TA has not already advised you...write a letter into RCL's customer service and tell them of your experience. If you request some sort of refund or credit they will generally appease with some sort of Future Cruise Certificate. It is there way of keeping the customer happy.

Unfortunatley, your flight issue was your own fault. The earliest flight should have been 12 noon or later, and with security the way it is you must be at the airport at least 2 hours in advance. If you booked through a TA they should have told you that. If not you now have a learning experience that all cruise lines have perimeters regarding disembarkation flights.

Good luck and I hope your next cruise will be memorable in a happier pretence.

I´m sorry this happened to you. I can see you problems and dissapointment about this situation. I think this is a legal complaint you have against RCCL. Yes it´s known that ships coming out of major dry dock refurbishments can have some problems as well as new ships on their first cruises. It´s not an excuse but an explanation. I would always be aware of the very first sailings. Especially toilets on cruise ships are a major problem once in a while. I remember a few month ago a whole cruise had to be cancelled in Europe because of major problems with the toilet system (wasn´t RCCL, can´t remember at the moment which cruise line).

I´m sorry but I´m not with you on this one. The yoghurt machine being the only option for a light lunch or snack with all the different food offered throughout a cruise.... you can´t be serious about this.

You didn´t like the pancakes, waffles and french toast.... OK can happen....

You list three options yourself you had to get around this and that´s not enough for you and still being dissapointed???

Are you sure the toilet problem didn´t closed your eyes for the good things of the cruise? I know one tend to look for bad things once one bad thing already hapened. To me this looks like that it´s the case.

Unless the air was booked through RCCL there is no way to complain about the missed flight in my eyes. What time was your cruise scheduled to dock?

Even if it was scheduled to dock at 07:00am a 10:15am flight would have been way too early. It´s suggested to be at the airport at least 60-90 minutes prior departure to allow to check-in and go through security.

You never know if weather or other reasons may delay arrival at the port. Local authorities have to clear the ship and the cruise line has no influence on the time frame of this. You never will be the only one to debark the ship and you have to pick up your luggage from thousands of other pieces. And last but not least you have to get from port to airport. How can you think about making all this in such a short time frame???

You said yourself that it took until 09:00am until the ship was cleared and this alone is something RCCL has absolutely no influence on.

You have a legal complaint about the toilets but that´s it. The rest of your complaints, well I won´t repeat myself.JMHO

We just returned from the Enchantment of the Seas July 11 cruise.

We were on a family reunion and we had a total of 3 cabins - one on the 7th floor and two on the second floor. Throughout the entire trip at any given time our bathrooms were inoperable creating a most unpleasant and embarrassing situation. We were forced to use the public facilities - sometimes in the middle of the night only to find many of those bathrooms were not functioning too. Many guests that we met throughout the trip had the same problem. This problem ruined our entire trip and in all our years of cruising we have never encountered such a horrible situation.

thegreenepea

I feel for you. In February we were on the Jewel.....our first formal night.......we stayed in the sun all afternoon and went back to the cabin to get ready for our early seating dinner. Our toilet was backed up. We had no water. I called to get it fixed and they were working on it.....I had no idea 2 floors of cabins were in the same mess we were. Hubby had to take care of business......if you know what I mean......and went from the 4th floor where we were up to the 10th to find an open stall. That is when we realized it was just not our cabin. It certainly didn't ruin or vacation by any means, but it was an inconvenience. Had I had to go elsewhere in the middle of the night I would not have been happy either.

Archived