Norwegian Wind

Hawaii Bound

I have a question concerning dinner dress on the Wind. We are experienced cruisers, (nine Caribbean cruises on RCI, Princess, Carnival and Norwegian), and always properly dress for dinner, but have a feeling that the dinner dress may be more casual on the Wind because of the Hawaiian itinerary. Can some of you who have been on this cruise tell us what is expected for dining room dress for both men and women? Also what is the dress for the alternative restaurants?

We were on the Wind sailing of 6/22. I found the attire to be much more casual than on any caribbean cruise I have been on. There were several couples who dressed up for formal night, but the vast majority did not. The sports bar was all sorts of attire--that is the casual buffet--shorts, bathing suits with cover-ups, etc. I was never able to eat at La Trattoria, so I am not sure about there. Four Seasons allowed shorts most nights during the cruise. The Terraces seemed to be the most dressy, and where we ate most nights. Most women were in sundresses, or nice capri outfits. The men were in khakis and polo shirts.

Le Bistro seemed to be a bit more dressy, although even then, there weren't a whole lot of jackets on the men--just button downs and nice polos.

If I remember correctly (we didn't participate) the optional formal nights were one of the first at sea days, on the way to Fanning, and then again on a port day--maybe Kauii? I just remember thinking it was odd to have a formal night on a port day, when we have 4 at sea days on the trip?

We did not participate either. I know that on our 10 day cruise the first Sea day was the first formal night. We ate at the Terraces each time. We all wore black slacks and a white shirt the first night. Got our pictures taken with the captain like that too. It turned out great. The second formal night I don't remember but if it was the same night as the lobster than ours was on the Kauii port day also. I just remember having lobster. We (my girls and I) would have probably just worn a sun dress or capri's, which is what we wore every night. My husband had two pair of slacks and hawaiian/polo type shirts that he wore in the dining room every night. We felt very comfortable and not at all under dressed even on formal night. We saw a some men in suits and only a few ladies in formal type dresses. I only saw two couples dressed to the max (tux and very formal dress). I need to get out my dailies but I think that you could wear short in the Four Seasons even on formal night. Probably why it was always packed and Terraces was less of a wait.

Archived