Galapagos attire??? Weather

ppiew

maybe wear crocs put sneakers or something else in back pack just-in-case! at any rate 5Waldos - you have 2 extra weeks. i will be the test gadget and let u know when i come back how all worked out!.

No- I leave on Feb 1. I will be long gone, and long packed, before you board. The worst that can happen is that I will not have the perfect stuff- no biggie.

No- I leave on Feb 1. I will be long gone, and long packed, before you board. The worst that can happen is that I will not have the perfect stuff- no biggie.

I have lots and lots of days on board SS and I NEVER HAVE THE PERFECT STUFF.

Is it me?:o

To quote Stacy London of "What Not to Wear": If crocs were the only shoes in the world to wear, I would go bare foot or cut off my feet.

Never would I put such a horrid shoe on, and I do know that the guides all wear them. But they are disgusting. I had no trouble with my water shoes and hiking shoes. They did not get very dirty at all--have been in way worse dirt and mud a lot of other places. My husband wore tevas or hiking shoes depending on what we were doing.

Gee tell me how you REALLY feel about them! Sorry but I love crocs and have several pair. I find them easy to put on and take off which for me is a good thing. Sitting on the ground and getting up to put on shoes is really not an option., I have great difficulty doing that so crocs suit me just fine. i will try to keep my crocs and my feet clean as I can. Tevas aren't for me as they never fit right. I have Keens too and they are also uncomfortable and difficult to put on. I know in Machu Picchu I will have to wear sneakers because of the terrain. Crocs will be so much easier for me and if we are in difficult areas for walking I will just stay behind.

5th times a charm- finally found a pair of Merrills with enough sole that I don't feel barefoot, very light, and not quite as ugly as crocs. So finally I am complete. One more item being delivered tomorrow for my husband and I can throw it all in suitcases and then start pulling things out. I never seem to be able to do that until everything is together. Now I am getting excited.

Thank you for all the clothing/shoe info. We are on the 3/1 cruise.

I am bringing keens (which I never wear- bought them for a trip to Mexico years ago) & a pair of New Balance hiking sneakers I picked up at DSW specifically for this & I am in the process of breaking in. Plus a comfy pair of Sperry flip flops & a light weight dressier sandal. Wondering what to wear in Quito - I guess the hiking sneakers? We have 2 days pre-cruise touring with Lincoln (city tour & Mindo cloud forest) & have plans to go to 2 nicer restaurants - Zazu & maybe the one @ the opera house for dinners. Wondering if anyone has been to these or similar & what you found dress code to be?

We have found our old ponchos (from Disney trips without characters on them, lol) & plan on bringing. Wondering since it is rainy season how much suntan lotion will actually need?

My Dr. didn't seem to feel that the typhoid vaccine was necessary but I am curious if you all did it? I had the hep A ones & a current tetanus.

We have made reservations at Zazus- looks to be a very ice place.

As far as sun tan lotion- you are at the equator and suntan lotion is a good idea even if the sun isn't directly shining. And recent reports seem to say that there will be a lot of sun around.

We did take the typhoid pills (couldn't face one more shot!) but we will be off in the jungle so I suspect that may be why. Also had to get the yellow fever jab since we stop in Panama for a night on the way home. All vaccines went well with nothing more than a light ache around the injection site. And now it is done- for life.

The only thing I have read about Quito and clothing is "you aren't on a safari- don't dress like you are". Although it also said that slacks or good jeans seem to be the order of the day. I have a dress that I will probably bring with a sweater for Zazus- although I have seen pictures and people seem to wear almost anyting.

We are also touring with Lincoln- popular guy I guess. He is also picking us up at the airport when we arrive, and taking us back again to go out to Coca. He is a bit more than a taxi but nothing like what the hotels charge.

I found this wonderful information regarding the "wet season". It was found on this webpage.

http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/practicalities/decisions-decisions-decisions/3/

"The term “wet” refers not so much to the constant precipitation but to the fact that the early settlers had to rely on rain for fresh water; they could more easily gather water from the thunderstorms and rain showers during this season. During the cool/dry season, the precipitation is typically light mists, which made water-gathering nearly impossible—hence, it was “dry.”

So although it may rain I have read that normally you receive a fair amount of sun. I would certainly stock up on sunscreen and bug repellant as wetter conditions do breed mosquitoes.