Which Western Caribbean itinerary? Please help!

lisabees

I have four kids (ages 2, 6, 9, 12) and looking to go In February. Looking for the kids to experience new and fun things.

Here are the choices:

RCCI Voyager of the Seas - Miami, Labadee, Jamaica, Caymans, Cozumel

RCCI Explorer of the Seas - Miami, Belize city, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Caymans

RCCi Enchantment of the Seas - Ft Lauderdale, Key West, Cozumel, Belize City

Star Princess - Ft Lauderdale, Princess Cays, Cozumel, Cayman, Ochos Rios

I'm so confused! HELP!! :)

Lisa

Lisa,

We just did the Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Cayman's in February. While my kids were 12 and 14 we traveled with my brother's family his kid's ages 2 and 1. We loved the ports and there seemed to be a big enough variety that everybody of all ages can find something to do.

If you do book Belize this is the one stop that you need to have an excursion booked because other than shopping there isn't really anything that you can just do. We did the cave tubing and while your kids are a little young for this it was a great excursion. I would definitely do the snorkel with the stingrays in the caymans. Your youngest child might not like it the other three more than likely will. Good luck and enjoy. Any more questions let me know.

Andrea

Lisa:

Can you tell me what, if any excursions your family did with their 2 year old? We are cruising with our 22 month old on the same trip. Any suggestions, esp. in Belize, or cruising in general is appreciated.

Thank you!

Heather

Lisa:

Can you tell me what, if any excursions your family did with their 2 year old? We are cruising with our 22 month old on the same trip. Any suggestions, esp. in Belize, or cruising in general is appreciated.

Thank you!

Heather

Heather - I think you meant for me to reply and not Lisa - In the Caymans my brothers family did the butterfly farm and submersible submarine. In Costa Maya they just spent the day at the dock and watched the Mexican Folklore/Dancing and then spent time at the pool - there is a pool and beach right where you dock. In Belize my sister in law stayed on the boat with the kids and my brother snorkeled with my mom - she did get off later to shop. In Cozumel we took the kids and spent the day at Paradise Beach and they went Horseback riding. It was alot easier for them to do an excursion on their own because they had built in babysitters with us along. I hope this helps. Oh yes they booked there excursions through RCCL - I hope you find what you are looking for.

Andrea

Oh one other thing - I would stongly suggest doing an excursion in Belize - I think there is a river cruise and a zoo which might work for you. There really isn't anything to do when you dock other than shop.

I would definitely pick one of the itineraries that included the Cayman islands. We have been to all of those ports except Princess Cays and Labadee. Out of all of those ports, our kids still talk about their experience with the stingrays at the Cayman islands the most. It really made an impact on them. They were 5 and 7 at the time. They take you into shallow water and let you play with the stingrays. The stingrays are very gentle and like to swim up to you and rub all over you. My kids loved it!:D It's a cheap excursion, we paid $30 for adults and about half that for the kids through Nativeway a local tour operator. You can check them out at www.nativewaywatersports.com. We didn't have anyone as little as age 2, but someone else on the boat did and the mom and dad just took turns staying on the boat with the 2 year old. There's plenty of time for both of you to take a turn in the water with the stingrays. I wouldn't miss this excursion for anything in the world. It was a blast!

I agree with the person who said that Paradise beach in Cozumel is nice. It's a free beach with a restaurant, fresh water showers, clean restrooms, a water trampoline, a floating ice berg to climb around on, the beach umbrella's and the lounge chairs are free too. This place is nice and cheap too.;)

Belize has no beach area and there's just a small shopping area near the port. I agree with eveyone else's advice to book a tour if you go there.

If one of your Jamaican ports is Montego Bay, I would highly recommend going to Sunset Beach Resort. They have an all-inclusive day pass for cruisers for just $20 for adults and $10 for kids. This includes all restaurants, all sodas, all alcoholic beverages, all non-motorized water sports like paddle boats, kayaks, snorkel gear, and volley ball. And they have 3 pools (one has a swim-up bar) and 3 beaches.:)

Costa Maya has a really nice untouched by society type of feel. It's not so commercialized and the beaches are very nice and laid back. You can even rent a golf cart for pretty cheap to go cruising around town in which is a lot of fun.

Our arrival into Key West was a little late (3:00 pm) so we decided to not do any watersports. Instead we took the train ride around town which was pretty inexpensive and very scenic. They also offer trolley rides around town which are fun and cheap. There are a lot of good restaurants and shops to choose from. This port is a port that you can just walk right into town from without the need for a taxi. If you go there, you have to try out the Key Lime pie that they're famous for. I hope this info. about each port helps you to make up your mind.

• 1 month later...

Labadee is awesome.Very relaxed beach day with the kids.Rccl provides a nice bbq lunch with this stop,you can use your sail and sign on the island for drinks,massages etc.There is a nice little water park for the kids,several beaches,lots of hammocks and palm trees.This is by far my favorite RCCL stop in fact i wish they would stay there for a few days.Theres a small market place were you can buy trinkets and what not(my favorite were the vodooo dolls HAHA)hope this helps.

Archived