20/20 story

Jimmy Geegitz

Really? One should have a birthday on a cruise and drink a little too much and fall overboard and maybe die as a result!! That's a little harsh of a consequence don't you think ?

Wouldn't you think with the cruise contract you love to bring up in most posts the cruise line would have to have safety measures to keep the passenger safe in case of an emergency right? If we need to follow the rules so do the cruise lines ;)

I hope she gets a million dollars for that 20 minutes it took staff to tell the captain someone was overboard :)

You can't be serious? They do have safety measures, some people are too stupid to even be protected from themselves.

She wins this lawsuit and we can all thank her for the chainlink fence surrounding every open deck and balcony on the ship as "precaution".

Really, why didn't you tell them during the muster drill you had no life vests. 9 days ago on my most recent cruise, the specifically repeated make sure the # of life vests equals the number of persons in the cabin and if not tell the muster drill supervisor.

I told my steward. I got them on day 3.

Apparently the crew did not notify the Captain for 24 minutes. However, I agree with you that the crew needed to be sure that someone did, in fact, fall overboard. Her attorney's argument was that no one was monitoring the webcam that showed her falling. Therefore, I can "understand" that she felt she could have been rescued sooner. However, it seems that people today want to sue instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

In real life, 24 minutes is not a long time, unless you just sit and stare at a clock. I'm sure the first person notified was not standing outside the cabin door. Then there's others involved, with time flying by quickly. It doesn't take long for time to pass. The first person notified can't just call up the captain to say someone over board.

If someone falls, is there a stretcher there at a blink of an eye? No, it involves others before equipment arrives. Of course it wouldn't be 24 minutes, but still will seem like an eternity.

As for webcams being monitored, even if they were, a glance away at another monitor and boom, the fall is missed. We saw how quickly it happened.

NO ,NO ,NO you got it all wrong I never said I followed the rules I just said some claim that they do and never break rules or laws :)

I no longer drink but when I did I smuggled liquor and encourage it still :)

My $41 carnival stock is doing just fine letting others be ripped off by paying 5 times what they should for a bottle of liquor ;)

I feel like a celebrity having people search through my old posts though ...LMAO

And I still haven't. ;)

• 2 months later...

I am dredging this up because I have become fascinated with this story after accidentally running across it while looking for information on the lawsuit filed by the parents of the Disney crew member who disappeared three years ago.

I have googled and googled and haven't found any resolution of this. The incident happened in October 2012, she sued sometime in 2013. Then January 2014 is the next date of any news, and it appears to be because of this 20/20 report.

Any news since? I can't believe she is suing them. She must have been standing on a chair or table to go over the railing.