Carnival returning to Norfolk??

RyanDMB99@aol.com

No hints on ship--Carnival isn't releasing that. I think it's probable that whatever ship comes to Norfolk will be the one servicing New York in the summertime.

do you think Carnival will sail from Norfolk year round?

Has it ever been used year round before?

I can only remember them sailing from there seasonably.

Bill

do you think Carnival will sail from Norfolk year round?

Has it ever been used year round before?

I can only remember them sailing from there seasonably.

Bill

Has been seasonal in the past and did it on ships repositioning from

FL to NY so guessing it would be Splendor

The news release said 10-12 sailings split between May/Oct.

I love sailing from Norfolk, but in recent years opted for the Pride instead. I had my choice of any date I wanted that way and it was actually cheaper to pay for hotel/parking and what was usually a day longer cruise from Baltimore than to go from Norfolk. (I have family in the Norfolk area so no hotel/parking for me there.) Carnival is pulling out of Baltimore, though, so that won't be an option much longer.

I'm going to watch and see what ship/itineraries they have. If it's the same old 5-6 day Bahamas cruises, it probably won't be much draw for us. If they were do 7-8 day cruises at a reasonable price or Bermuda, I'll definitely consider sailing from Norfolk in 2015.

We did a 10 day western from Norfolk in Jan many years ago, 2000 maybe? It was on the Maasdam, Holland which is owned by Carnival. I remember boarding around 7pm as the ship did not arrive until after noon. It was very unorganized, and we were starving, just got a free pass to the museum.

When we returned back to Norfolk, the same thing happened............we arrived late and did not leave the ship until about 3pm. Yes, the seas were rough returning on both sailings making a very late arrival. It was also extremely cold.

We did a 10 day western from Norfolk in Jan many years ago, 2000 maybe? It was on the Maasdam, Holland which is owned by Carnival. I remember boarding around 7pm as the ship did not arrive until after noon. It was very unorganized, and we were starving, just got a free pass to the museum.

When we returned back to Norfolk, the same thing happened............we arrived late and did not leave the ship until about 3pm. Yes, the seas were rough returning on both sailings making a very late arrival. It was also extremely cold.

The disorganization is a thing of the past since there is now a purpose built cruise terminal in Norfolk. Although the passenger drop off area outside can be crowded due to limited space, the cruise terminal is right next to the martime museum that was used as the temporary terminal when you were on the Maasdam.

Has been seasonal in the past and did it on ships repositioning from

FL to NY so guessing it would be Splendor

That's a pretty good guess! I would tend to agree with you on that although anything could be possible. Us folks in Norfolk figured they would come back eventually but not before Carnival returned to Baltimore.

Our tablemates went to the future cruise seminar this week and mentioned something about Carnival returning to Norfolk? Anyone know anything about this? Could be a good move since they are leaving Baltimore and NY...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Here's a link to a previous thread on this topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1971073

It was moved to a different board for some reason...

• 3 weeks later...
I would be happy with any ship besides The Spirit of Norfolk or the inflatable raft from the Elizabeth River Crossing commercial :D

I can't wait!!!

I agree with you there.

The first time we took our daughter (12) down to see the Glory leave, we were on the next sailing. I was coming down Waterside drive and said there it is. She goes I see it dad right there and she was pointing at the Spirit. Laughed and said what about this big one up here. Still joke her about that.

That ended up being the Hurricane Sandy cruise and when we got back to port the Spirit went by us it looked so small from on the lido. She said she was happier on the Glory in the storm!!

The news release said 10-12 sailings split between May/Oct.

I love sailing from Norfolk, but in recent years opted for the Pride instead. I had my choice of any date I wanted that way and it was actually cheaper to pay for hotel/parking and what was usually a day longer cruise from Baltimore than to go from Norfolk. (I have family in the Norfolk area so no hotel/parking for me there.) Carnival is pulling out of Baltimore, though, so that won't be an option much longer.

I'm going to watch and see what ship/itineraries they have. If it's the same old 5-6 day Bahamas cruises, it probably won't be much draw for us. If they were do 7-8 day cruises at a reasonable price or Bermuda, I'll definitely consider sailing from Norfolk in 2015.

They will be sailing out of Baltimore 2015. read the press release regarding that. so that's cool as that's not too far from me. lol