Early Saver questions

primadonut

I keep seeing posts from people who have booked early saver and then moved up a category. Do you have to pay if you want to move up a category? or say, go from one room to two rooms?

We are fine with sharing a room with our kids (in some ways prefer it), but it just occurred to me that I might see more price drops if we had two regular interior rooms, because there are so many more regular rooms on the ship. It would cost us about 500 to move to two rooms instead of one, would we have to pay $50 pp to switch the booking to a different room? We haven't decided if it would be worth it, but we are sailing at an unpopular time so I do expect some price drops, based on watching the fares for equivalent sailings this year.

You do not have to pay to go up a category, but you do have to if you downgrade.

For example, you will pay $50 to downgrade from a balcony to an interior, but not vice versa.

I am not sure on taking people out of your cabin to two cabins.....

(we're booked in a 4J atm, and hoping to go to a balcony if the price drops a little more!)

You do not have to pay to go up a category, but you do have to if you downgrade.

For example, you will pay $50 to downgrade from a balcony to an interior, but not vice versa.

I am not sure on taking people out of your cabin to two cabins.....

(we're booked in a 4J atm, and hoping to go to a balcony if the price drops a little more!)

I didn't think you were allowed to downgrade at all with early saver.:confused:

Bill

I booked three early saver rooms a couple weeks ago.

Then, I wanted to add another person (person #7)......which means I would have to switch rooms.

There was no change fee or charge to move to a three person room. But, there were no 3 person rooms in the same category (4K) that I had booked. I could "downgrade" IMHO to an inside room on deck 1.... I guess early saver rates didn't consider it a downgrade (interior to interior) but obstructed ocean view to interior is a downgrade to me.

Instead, I chose to upgrade to a balcony room. The cost was actually only 4 dollars more per person than the two person rate (because the third person is much cheaper, and I averaged the total over 3 instead of giving the 3rd person a big discount).

I would think moving into two rooms over one would be an upgrade! Another bathroom, more privacy.

I booked three early saver rooms a couple weeks ago.

Then, I wanted to add another person (person #7)......which means I would have to switch rooms.

There was no change fee or charge to move to a three person room. But, there were no 3 person rooms in the same category (4K) that I had booked. I could "downgrade" IMHO to an inside room on deck 1.... I guess early saver rates didn't consider it a downgrade (interior to interior) but obstructed ocean view to interior is a downgrade to me.

Instead, I chose to upgrade to a balcony room. The cost was actually only 4 dollars more per person than the two person rate (because the third person is much cheaper, and I averaged the total over 3 instead of giving the 3rd person a big discount).

I would think moving into two rooms over one would be an upgrade! Another bathroom, more privacy.

sounds like a downgrade to me too. They must have changed the rules.:)

I just went and found the rules. Seems they aren't changed. Maybe the reps didn't know what they were doing??

EARLY SAVER

Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. Offer is capacity controlled. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Cruise Fare does not include Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses range from $37.06 to $319.82, and are assessed on a per guest basis and according to the itinerary. Full payment of the per person deposit is required at the time of booking. All cancellations that occur prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. The future cruise credit can only be redeemed on bookings made in USD currency, will be applied to your cruise fare, is non-refundable, non-transferable, any unused portion will be forfeited, and must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Full names are required for each guest. Guest may select the stateroom. Early Saver fare is only available for short cruises (5 days or less), 3 months prior to sail date, and available for long cruises (6 days or longer), 5 months prior to sail date. No name changes are allowed. Early Saver fare is backed by a unique price protection policy that allows you to adjust your cruise fare to the best available fare advertised by Carnival and available to the general public. Carnival will honor your request for price protection if the reduction on the total amount paid for your booking results only from a lower cruise fare and not from the booked ancillary services, such as air, transfers, pre-paid gratuities, or Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses. Early Saver price protection does not apply to Super Saver and Instant Saver fares, group rates, membership programs, charters, select promotional fares, travel agent rebates, or other travel agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public. The price protection policy applies only to the category booked; no downgrades allowed. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees. A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. The guest is responsible for increases to ancillary services such as air, resulting from changes to ship and/or sail date, or adjustments to cruise fare. Subsequent upgrades in lieu of price protection will no longer be offered. Cancellation penalties apply. Request Early Saver. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta.

There was also somebody on here yesterday with about 32 days til their cruise and said they just switched to ES a couple weeks ago for a 7-8 day cruise. Sure has me confused but then again that isn't too hard to do.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover