FoS questions (Western) plus stroller rec needed

sunset785

Hi all! We will be taking DS on his first cruise in 8 weeks on the FoS Western sailing. I am also pregnant and will be 20 weeks along during the cruise. I am trying to make this a smooth as possible trip for us but we will also have my husbands parents along for some extra help.

If anyone has any ideas on excursion rec's for the western route on Freedom of the Seas, I would greatly appreciate it for Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I think we will do Red Stripe Beach in Jamaica and possibly Seven Mile Beach in GC. If we were to do Seven Mile Beach in GC, would you book through the cruise line (3.5 hours for $46 per person) or would you pay a cab? We have never been before so I'm kind of nervous about taking a cab since we won't know what to expect but we will save quite a bit I'm sure, plus we would leave when we want. Are cabs readily available back to the ship? Also, if we do take a cab what part of the beach is the most kid-friendly to be dropped off at? In Cozumel I have no idea what to do. We are looking into getting a day pass at El Cid but if you have any other cheap beach rec's, please let me know: )

I also am in search of an inexpensive umbrella stroller for DS. He typically HATES the stroller but when he is wore out, he will get in it. I am looking for one with a good harness as the cheapie one we have at home is getting easier for him to flip around in. I don't want to spend too much on one. Around $50 if I can find one.

Also, any tips on getting a 2 yr old to nap in the room. We were in a hotel a few weeks ago and he refused a nap with us in the room. We did forget his sound machine though so I am hoping that is why. Otherwise, I forsee a daily stroller ride making laps around the walking/jogging track to get him to sleep :o

Sorry this is so long! Thanks in advance!

In GC, take the bus..$2.50 pp, and super easy! No reason to pay for an excursion to the beach! Buses for the return trip will be at all access points to the beach. All of 7 Mile Beach is public, and there are restrooms, chair/umbrella rentals, food/drink, watersport rentals, etc....all up and down the beach. Seagrape Beach is nice...it's part of 7 Mile Beach. Renting your loungers will be less than the cost of one person's excursion price!!!

Can't help with the nap thing....I wasn't a napper, either, when I was little...drove my mother nuts!

Edited by cb at sea

At that price point for a stroller I'd go for the First Years Jet Stroller. It has a 5 point harness, reclines (a bit), and is just large enough to be more comfortable than a standard cheap umbrella stroller but small enough that it can still get past housekeeping carts. I got mine on Amazon.

As for naps, if he is reliant on a sound machine you can get a White Noise app on a smartphone or tablet if you have one and bring that along. My 2 year old is in the process of giving up naps, though, so it's possible he's headed that way and if they are determined to stop napping there isn't a lot you can do about it. :o

My advice would be to get into a habit now of napping. You are pregnant and need your rest. Most children love books and I used to take my son up to his room, read him a couple stories and then say that it is rest time. When we were on vacation. I would read him a couple books and the close my eyes and say "it's rest time". Sometimes he napped, sometimes he didn't but at least he wasn't getting over stimulated. The hot sun often will make them sleep better.

Do not try to nap too late in the day. Do it around 1-3 otherwise the kids will never go to sleep at night.

I assume you are napping too. I take naps with them. It hasn't been a problem with my two kids. Sometimes I would wake up and they would just be laying there with their eyes open but they would have a couple hours to decompress. Close the curtains, put the do not disturb sign on and play naptime music on your laptop- that should help. No one in the room should be doing anything but laying there. It doesn't require both parents either. It's a chance for your husband to have some adult fun while you get your rest.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I took my 2 year old on a cruise last summer and we're getting ready to go again in Feb (he's 2.5 now)..

What type of room are you staying in? We were in a balcony room and I would put him down, rub his back for a few minutes, and then we'd sit out on the balcony while he napped. I also brought my video monitor so I could keep an eye on him. He was SO tired that he usually actually fell asleep after about 5 minutes of rubbing his back, so we're staying in an ocean view room this time and hoping for the best. There is a lot more activity on a cruise then they do day to day, so I found my son went down pretty easily each time b/c he was exhausted.

As far as a stroller, I took the Ignite (similar to the Jet that a pp mentioned), but I'll be taking a cheap-o $15 umbrella this time. The Ignite is semi-compact, but I found it to be kind of heavy and really long (it didn't fit in the trunk of our compact rental car). My son is like yours, that doesn't like to be in the stroller that much so we really only used it for nightly walks around the ship after dinner.

Also, make sure you check out the after dinner shows- my son loved them.

Don't stress, you'll have a great time!

• 1 month later...

If you want a secret getaway while in Cozumel rent a jeep or vehicle and drive to the eastern side of the island. You will feel like you are on a deserted island and most likely will not see anyone else on the miles of white sandy beaches. Make sure you take drinks and food though because it is natural, unlike the tourist west side of the island. The waves are higher (not like the North Shore of Oahu, but still more turbulent than the sheltered west side) so do make sure you select a calmer spot if you are going to go into the water. Snorkeling might be a challenge. We have seen the most amazing shells and drift wood on the eastern shores. Take shovels and buckets and your kids will dig happily for hours in the soft sand.

• 3 weeks later...

The only part I can really chime in about is the excursion we did in Cozumel. We went to Nachi Cocum beach resort and loved it! The beach was beautiful, they had palapas and hammocks. There was an inflatable climb on thing in the water for the older kids or adults. The food was excellent. There was a pool and hot tub, along with other water sports available. I would highly recommend spending a day there. It's a quick cab ride from the port. There's plenty for everyone and you can be as active or as calm as you'd like. Enjoy!