Can my "almost 15yr old" get into Club O2?

KYWEST1

High school students have school id's that they can show .......................

It also would not be such a big deal for the kid to get a simple 1 paragraph memo on school letterhead stating his grade from the school office........

I can't imagine why you would make generalizations like this.

Moreover, it is frequently false, as previous posts have already indicated. None of my 3 kids ever had any school IDs.

As far as a simple memo, please send me the details and I will send you such a memo, in fancy fonts, signed by Mr. or Mrs. or Dr. whomever you would like. Wonderful things these days --- computers. (PS: Could in principle do the same for a license or birth certificate, but I am not crazy enough to touch that with a 10 foot pole)

My son, who was 14 year old, was allowed to move up to Club O2. We did not register beforehand. At orientation, I asked to speak with the counselor in private and explained that my son and nephew (who was 15 at the time) wanted to stay together. The counselor just looked at my son, he is 6 ft tall, and said okay. No worries. And actually, the kids ended up hanging out with their friends more than doing Club O2 activities. They participated in the sports events but not so much with the socializing/dance parties.

I can't imagine why you would make generalizations like this.

Moreover, it is frequently false, as previous posts have already indicated. None of my 3 kids ever had any school IDs.

As far as a simple memo, please send me the details and I will send you such a memo, in fancy fonts, signed by Mr. or Mrs. or Dr. whomever you would like. Wonderful things these days --- computers. (PS: Could in principle do the same for a license or birth certificate, but I am not crazy enough to touch that with a 10 foot pole)

Enjoying yourself? Sorry but my comment was in response to the idea of grouping kids based on class grade not age

I don't know about your school but we do have high school id's and really a school office can document a kids grade. Making a generalization such as this is not the major crime you are trying to make it sound like. Really now think it over. Of course if you have a school where every kid and parent is trying to put one over that is another story.

Not everybody is dishonest and forges things.

Not everyone is a scammer you know

Edited by Crusin6

Thanks everyone who replied. I won't pre-register them, and we'll just see what happens. A June birthday is a "late" birthday in the school world irishnyc. Just ask any sophomore who is waiting to get his/her driver's license. :p

Thanks, sweetie, I've been to school, and had a late birthday. November. 12/31 cutoff. You know. At the end of the YEAR. No need to bend rules for me. Not my taste or style.

Edited by irishnyc

Oh my! People can't seem to get Passports, birth certs, letters for single parents, etc... straight. Can you imagine the chaos if they also needed letters from schools!? Which, by the way could be nearly impossible to get, especially in summer when many school offices are deserted.

But back to the OP: as you can see from the responses here, nobody knows. You'll have to speak to the O2 director when you board.

Oh please. A cruise is booked usually months in advance and school offices do not close for the entire summer and we are talking about a person who wants to get their kid in a different group. Not having this " letter" will not cause someone to miss a cruise like no passport will

If a parent wants to get this done they will. And my suggestion is more than reasonable if a parent feels the need. There is no law forcing the parent and it is for the parent and child own benefit if they get it

And finally this is all hypothetical anyway in response to a poster who suggested grouping by class grade versus age. Which is a very good idea btw

Fwiw schools provide documentation for jobs camps drivers licenses social security benefits welfare benefits etc etc all the time for students and on school letterhead too it is not a big deal

We have the same issue this summer, but on our previous cruises the counselors have allowed kids that were in a certain range of their birthday to move up and we hope that will be the case this time. My daughter will be just shy of her 15th birthday, but she will be between her sophomore and junior year - really don't want to see her lumped in with mostly junior high kids.

grouping them by class grade makes sense. Camps around here do not say between the ages of 6 and 10 for example however, they say for kids entering or in grades 2 thru 5.

This is to allow friends to stay together especially in this day and age when many kids are held back a year in the very early grades due to their birthdates.

Edited by maggie cruises

We are cruising on the Dream in March with 2 families. My freshman has a late birthday (June), so he will still be 14. His cousins will be able to get into Club O2, and I know he would only want to be with them and not in Circle C. I forget how strict Carnival is with this. Is it a possibility to get him in "da club"? Thx!!:)

Based on my past experiences no, but it won't hurt to ask !

Thanks, sweetie, I've been to school, and had a late birthday. November. 12/31 cutoff. You know. At the end of the YEAR. No need to bend rules for me. Not my taste or style.

No, Irishnyc, your "style" is to make snarky comments on a perfectly innocent question. You still don't even get it, by the way. I said "late" birthday...every mom on here knows what I mean. Late in the school year, not the calendar year. You don't post a picture. Big red flag. You sit around looking for threads to "butt in" on and give your attitude on something you know nothing about. Move on to a different thread. Thanks "sweetie"!!

Oh my! People can't seem to get Passports, birth certs, letters for single parents, etc... straight. Can you imagine the chaos if they also needed letters from schools!? Which, by the way could be nearly impossible to get, especially in summer when many school offices are deserted.

But back to the OP: as you can see from the responses here, nobody knows. You'll have to speak to the O2 director when you board.

My thoughts are if you are planning a cruise in the summer and you know there is a chance the school is going to be closed take care of it ahead of time.

If you don't, then use the student ID. Or, your end of year report card. Things are readily available if you think about it. And, if people can't seem to get all of their documents in order then maybe they should stay in the USA.

No, Irishnyc, your "style" is to make snarky comments on a perfectly innocent question. You still don't even get it, by the way. I said "late" birthday...every mom on here knows what I mean. Late in the school year, not the calendar year. You don't post a picture. Big red flag. You sit around looking for threads to "butt in" on and give your attitude on something you know nothing about. Move on to a different thread. Thanks "sweetie"!!

I would like to chime in here about your "big red flag" comment if I may

Anyone can post any pix they want and say it is them. A few years back some joker had a profile pix of "themselves" tall slender gorgeous blond in a very sexy outfit. The thread however was on the lines of ...Do you think I will be out of place if I wear a bikini on the cruise?

so was it a joke or just someone with low self esteem?

who knows who cares

my point is that a pix means nothing AND more importantly this is an open forum even though one needs to sign in it is still public even though CC is privately owned

I don't think posters here actually realize that when they post dates of cruises and family pix

just sayin so the fact that there is no profile pix for the poster you quoted is not so abnormal.

and no I am not paranoid and the sky isn't falling, I am just cautious in the cyberworld as well as the real world

My thoughts are if you are planning a cruise in the summer and you know there is a chance the school is going to be closed take care of it ahead of time.

If you don't, then use the student ID. Or, your end of year report card. Things are readily available if you think about it. And, if people can't seem to get all of their documents in order then maybe they should stay in the USA.

exactly and fwiw I found it amusing that someone would jump all over the poster that suggested the use of school id.

to me it is just a common sense thing to do

I really like the report card idea which is good for younger kids but now someone will say they don't want the camp staff to know their kids grades! LOL

actually they don't need to get these letters but it is something they might choose to do if they are in between age groups and traveling with other kids who want to stay together.

no requirement for letters or school ID just something that a pax might do to make the cruise more fun for their kids if the situation affects them

Enjoying yourself? Sorry but my comment was in response to the idea of grouping kids based on class grade not age

I don't know about your school but we do have high school id's and really a school office can document a kids grade. Making a generalization such as this is not the major crime you are trying to make it sound like. Really now think it over. Of course if you have a school where every kid and parent is trying to put one over that is another story.

Not everybody is dishonest and forges things.

Not everyone is a scammer you know

I agree with you that most people would not forge letters. And I agree that your main point was/is interesting.

However, as I pointed out, your first point was wrong. The sticky point is going from the experience of your kids to all other high schools, where their experience is not necessarily true. The proper response should have been "You are right. ID's may not be available elsewhere."

On the other hand, my scamming comment should have been written more clearly, and for that I apologize. What I should have said is that I don't think it unreasonable for the cruise line to go with state sanctioned ID's only, where those contemplating less than honest methods of getting their kids into clubs with their other siblings/friends would hopefully be deterred by the seriousness of their offense.