2 adults just off Disney Dream - Good, the bad and the Noro

Trekker954

That's why they always recommend that children, elderly and pregnant women (who generally have weakened immune systems) get flu shots, but they don't typically push regular, old adults to get it. Most adults have already been exposed to many different flu strains. Kids have not.

Then you may care to elaborate on why the 18-49 age group are the ones dropping from the flu this year. It is all dependent on the strains of the viruses. Kids are much more resilient than adults when it comes to many bugs. They bounce back much faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's the other way around. Adults are much less succeptable to communicable disease because they already have had many of the strains and their blood streams are full of antibodies. Kids on the other hand are very succeptable to colds and the like because they are mostly antibody-free.

Classrooms are virtual Petri dishes. Kids actually catch very little of what is floating around in there.

Then you may care to elaborate on why the 18-49 age group are the ones dropping from the flu this year. It is all dependent on the strains of the viruses. Kids are much more resilient than adults when it comes to many bugs. They bounce back much faster.

No need to be obnoxious. I didn't say anything that wasn't true. I don't usually speak in terms of "absolutes," which is why I said "typically," and "generally," in my comment. I haven't been following this year's flu demographics, but I didn't pull my comment out of nowhere. My father-in-law, who is a doctor, and I had a conversation about it in November. I had also looked on the CDC's own website before I left my comment.

Here, this is from the CDC's website.

While everyone should get a flu vaccine this season, it’s especially important for some people to get vaccinated.

Those people include the following:

People who are at high risk of developing serious complications (like pneumonia) if they get sick with the flu.

People who have certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.

Pregnant women.

People younger than 5 years (and especially those younger than 2), and people 65 years and older.

People at High Risk for Developing Flu-Related Complications

Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old

Adults 65 years of age and older

Pregnant women

Also, American Indians and Alaskan Natives Adobe PDF file [1.1 MB, 2 pages] seem to be at higher risk of flu complications

If you have a problem with the CDC's saying kids, people with weaken immune systems, elderly and pregnant women are at high risk of complications, take it up with them.

I apologize to American Indians and Alaskan Natives, as I did not notice originally that they too are at greater risk of developing complications!

I didn't notice that we were rehashing an old event here. Perhaps you should call the CDC and tell them that you think that DCL is falsifying the records. That might make you feel better.

I've just read all your comments in regard to people's posts about illness on DCL ships over the years so your comment above isn't surprising.

Since this is technically off topic, I'll just drop it now.

Sorry you got ill onboard. Getting sick is never fun, much less when you are on vacation. AP is my favorite too. I have heard of other's being able to get their dinner delivered to their stateroom in this situation. !

The whole isolation notification and that you can order meals from any restaurant comes with some rules. When my daughter was first diagnosed, it was right around 5 pm. She was only permitted liquids. So when I first called to see about dinner delivered, and they had to make sure it wasn't for my daughter I called too late. You can only order from a restaurant so long as you are within the MDR time frame. I called in between the two. So would have had to call back after 8:15. By then I was too sick. lol

Really when you have Noro, you are just too sick to watch TV. They drugged my daughter up so much all she did was sleep. I was in the bathroom way too much to follow any TV show and then I slept.

Luckily it does pass through your system pretty quickly

BTW. both my daughter and I got our FLU vaccines. I'm not sure that matter. Noro is very different. You don't have the temperature or chills and fever. Its all about stomach pains, diarrhea and vomiting.

Edited by Trekker954

Classrooms are virtual Petri dishes. Kids actually catch very little of what is floating around in there.

That might be true but those little petri dishes bring bacteria, viruses, etc. home on their clothes, etc. I've never been so sick as an adult as I was the first two years my daughter was in daycare.

I just got off the Dream and got the Norovisrus. Disney does a great job of trying to keep it at bay. It has a very fast onset. On day 3 we got up, ate breakfast at Cabanas, changed into beach attire, and got off the ship. The island is very beautiful. We walked most of the way and took the tram the rest of the way to Serenity Beach. We were looking forward to the lunch at Cookies as we had heard it was very good. The funny thing is, when I smelled it, I felt sick to my stomach. From that point on I felt weak, nauseated, severe stomach pain, didn't want to eat, the thought of food made me sick, the smell of food made me sick. I just laid in my room and the rest is a blur. It took about 24 hours to feel better. It can happen to anyone, anywhere....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've just read all your comments in regard to people's posts about illness on DCL ships over the years so your comment above isn't surprising.

Since this is technically off topic, I'll just drop it now.

And to provide an accurate framework, I suppose that you've also read all of the illness posts upon which I didn't comment.

The member has repeatedly accused DCL of falsifying records. That does absolutely no good here in that the CDC doesn't monitor these boards as far as I know. If she want to be effective, a letter to the CDC would be appropriate rather than rehashing the incident here.

Edited by Host Mick