Help with decision

KellyR

Hello, I'm new to the HAL message board. I am planning my next family's cruise with Royal Caribbean or HAL. My mother hasn't got long to live, maybe three years. She has got terminal cancer. I would like to give her a really nice cruise before her health starts to fail and symptoms start to progress. I have never sailed with Royal Caribbean or HAL. I heard HAL is more upscale than Royal Caribbean. So I think I will choose HAL. Has anybody sailed Royal Caribbean and HAL?

Thanks,

Kelly

I haven't sailed on RCCL, but my children and grandchildren have. If you do choose to go with RCCL, make sure you go at a time when there is no school vacation. RCCL is VERY kid friendly.

On the other hand, if you are taking kids (including teenagers), then RCCL would be the way to go.

Roberta

I first have to say that I am very sorry to hear about your mom.

I have never sailed RCCL, but a friend of mine and her family sail RCCL with the kids because its a very kid friendly cruise line. In your circumstances, I would most definately choose HAL over RCCL and give your mom and your family a really nice cruise.

We sailed RCCL after having been on HAL three times. We chose it because of the itinerary.

The cruise was fine, but the cabin was smaller. We had no complaints but we like HAL better. HAL has spoiled us, so we keep coming back.

We like to take at least a ten day cruise, and that limits our options. We also want to have some variety as to where we go, so that sometimes means trying different lines.

I don't think you can make a wrong decision here, but our preference is for the slightly smaller, but more spacious HAL option.

Bodger

Thanks everyone for your tips. It sounds as though HAL spoils you more. That's what I'm looking for. Actually, it's more for my mom because she has done alot for me.

Sorry about your Mom. A cruise will be wonderful memories for your family.

I have sailed both HAL and Royal Caribbean with MY Mom and think HAL will be better. The cabins are larger and more comfortable. There are less children which is a plus in case she isn't exactly feeling her best. The public areas on HAL are warm and cozy especially for those sea days, on RCCL they are more glitter and open. Not sure what itinerary you are looking at or what ship but I was not as happy on RCCL as on HAL. If you want any specifics let me know and I will give you my e-mail address and go into more detail.

Joanne

Thanks HALGirl,

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in the details especially why you were not happy with RCCL and also why you prefer HAL over RCCL. We're looking at a Caribbean itinerary.

Thanks,

Kelly

I would highly recommend you look at a 10-day cruise. Sometimes, its not all that much more to do a 10-day cruise. I feel that 7-days just isn't enough and I think your family will appreciate those extra few days of fun with your mom. Please let us know what you decide.

Archived