Medical Kit for Children

jaycat

Bring something for fever, and for a stuffy nose. Maybe something for tummy troubles. If there are any medical items that you use on a regular basis, of course, bring them! Bring a few bandaids, and some disinfectant, in case of scrapes or cuts.

Really, whatever you have at home specifically for the child, bring it....it doesn't take up much room, and you'll be happy to have it IF you need it! Chances are, you won't need it, but, you never know!

My pediatrician gives me a script for an antibiotic that treats the most amount of things (and ear infection!) just in case. I can't remember off the top of my head the type he gives us, but he specifically chose it because it treats a wide variety and doesn't need a fridge.

The thermometer! How obvious. I can't believe I forgot that one. Good thinking Mia.

It saved me the cost of a "cabin-visit" during office closed hours. I called and the nurse told me to give my daughter the motrin I'd brought and if the fever went over a certain point (I don't remember anymore), to call back - otherwise to just come in the morning when the office opened. The doctor on board was WONDERFUL and they had the antibiotics she needed. We've had to visit the doctor's office on board many ships and they have always been great with kids - and had all that we needed (though much better to bring the minor stuff yourself to save the $$).

Best,

Mia

A few things to add - if they are flying to port - ear plugs for plane that alleviate air pressure. We bought ours at one step ahead (http://www.onestepahead.com/Kids-Earplane-Ear-Plugs-For-Airplane-Travel.pro?omSource=SLI&) but now have seen them at Buy Buy Baby. Our daughter had terrible ear problems first time we flew - she wears them and has never had a problem again. She still wears them and she is 12. One pair is all you need for roundtrip flight.

Another thing - motion sickness wrist band - our son gets motion sickness in car so he wears these for the plane, taxi, etc. if water is more choppy he puts them on too. His pediatrician recommended and work. We bought through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Child-Wristband-pair-colors/dp/B004L4D0DU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_3) but I think can get at cvs, etc.

Hope that helps - they both have little plastic case they come in so super easy to transport.

Thanks for all the replies. I have most of the things but I was missing the thermometer.

My next question was going to be on motion sickness. I always have my crew to start Saturday night taking Dramamine. If you still feel OK by Tuesday they can stop taking it. I would rather take and not need than try take it after I start feeling bad.

Thanks for all posts

My pediatrician said children's Benadryl also can help seasickness. 1/4 tsp at your granddaughters age. We use for my son for allergic reactions or cough.

Bring utensils their size... We get take and toss ones, 8 spoons and forks for 3 bucks. Can reuse or pitch them. I also bring zip loc bags for snacks etc.

Edited by EviesCruisin

Babies don't generally get seasick. Adults might though. I take "Bonine" adult strength and children's strength with me. You only have to take it if and when you feel nauseated. I would never dose a child with seasickness pills unless they were indeed sick. Why over medicate? If you know your child gets seasick, then I would in advance but otherwise no. There are side effects to seasickness medicine- including drowsiness.

If the ship is rough- go to the youth program and check on your child. If you are feeling seasick, chances are they will be too.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We go through a lot of saline solution...any time the kids get a sniffle or a running nose, the pediatrician said to blast the saline solution up their little nose! Has warded off many evil spirits but is also good for acting before ear infections take route. It never seems to fail, any time they step off an airplane someone is sniffling!