Could not Board Fascination in Jacksonville Today. Any hope?

s7r2

This is a very simplified explanation that I don't believe it's that simple. I don't think you can board at any old port. I think his agent is on the right track regarding open loop.

it used to be simple but not anymore. check your documents then check your documents :-)

it used to be simple but not anymore. check your documents then check your documents :-)

I should add that the scenario changes once you board the ship. If you make it on the ship but miss the last call at one of your ports then you can travel to the next port.

This is a very simplified explanation that I don't believe it's that simple. I don't think you can board at any old port. I think his agent is on the right track regarding open loop.

Open loop or not if he boarded the ship in Nassau or Freeport it would be a legal cruise.

The PVSA states that a foreign flagged vessel cannot transport someone from one US port to a different US without visiting a distant foreign port.

How are the Alaska cruises legal that start in Vancouver Canada and end in Anchorage Alaska in the US if what the rep says is true?

Since he is not boarding in the US it is a legal cruise. As usual the rep didn't interpret the rule correctly.

Bill

I should add that the scenario changes once you board the ship. If you make it on the ship but miss the last call at one of your ports then you can travel to the next port.

I looked at an old thread regarding this. There's a manifest turned in at departure, it must match at getting off. In a case like this, and you got on, they come home with more than they left with. One poster said the whole ship would have an immigration check if this was the case. To board, there must be some official formality from someone authorized to do so.

I don't know the official answer. This sounded logical.

I looked at an old thread regarding this. There's a manifest turned in at departure, it must match at getting off. In a case like this, and you got on, they come home with more than they left with. One poster said the whole ship would have an immigration check if this was the case. To board, there must be some official formality from someone authorized to do so.

thanks for the added info on this!!!

OP - I'm so sorry this has happened. PLEASE - don't be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. I once left my purse (with passport, credit cards, etc.) in a cab after an international flight. Luckily, I was able to retrieve my purse (after I sobbed like a baby and offered to pay the now off-duty cab driver $100 to return it). Sometimes, stuff happens and it's how we deal with them that really matters. You appear to have handled this situation like a pro. I hope your next trip is much more smooth and enjoyable!

I am a first time cruiser, so forgive me if this is a silly question. We all have passports, that is sufficient, right?

Yes, and make sure your passports aren't outdated. Ours expires in August of this year, but we went ahead and sent them in in December and got them back 2 weeks ago - just in time to plan another cruise.:D

Wouldn't someone from Carnival be authorized ? They were authorized to submit the initial manifest.:confused:

Bill

Wouldn't someone from Carnival be authorized ? They were authorized to submit the initial manifest.:confused:

Bill

I may be 100 percent wrong but I sensed that there is a fee/tax that gets levied somewhere in this process so Carnival (and most likely other carriers) adjusted the policy. Unfortunately it was not a customer friendly change. All the other "stuff" like manifest adjustments and customs could be resolved.

I may be 100 percent wrong but I sensed that there is a fee/tax that gets levied somewhere in this process so Carnival (and most likely other carriers) adjusted the policy. Unfortunately it was not a customer friendly change. All the other "stuff" like manifest adjustments and customs could be resolved.

Do you have a link to this? Do you know when this was changed if it has? I am on here every day and if the PVSA had changed i would have thought someone on here would post about it.

Are you going by the information that CCL person told you? They are more often then not incorrect when it comes to PVSA matters.

There have been posters in the past that have told CCL that their bookings were illegal and CCL insisted they were legal only to have them tell them they have to cancel a couple months before their cruise because somebody that knows the rules finally figured it out.

I so want to see you get on the cruise with your family and i sure don't want to see you give up hope because of what the CCL rep said.

The only fees accessed i know about are $300 for violating the PSVA which you would not be doing in this case AFAIK.

Good Luck

Bill

Do you have a link to this? Do you know when this was changed if it has? I am on here every day and if the PVSA had changed i would have thought someone on here would post about it.

Are you going by the information that CCL person told you? They are more often then not incorrect when it comes to PVSA matters.

There have been posters in the past that have told CCL that their bookings were illegal and CCL insisted they were legal only to have them tell them they have to cancel a couple months before their cruise because somebody that knows the rules finally figured it out.

I so want to see you get on the cruise with your family and i sure don't want to see you give up hope because of what the CCL rep said.

The only fees accessed i know about are $300 for violating the PSVA which you would not be doing in this case AFAIK.

Good Luck

Bill

Thanks Bill. I was persistent in asking for a link but no one had one. I talked to a team of people at the Carnival travel hotline, the gueswt management department, and the regular carnival 800 number. it all became one big circle. It felt like I could not get anywhere after trying all day.

I also have been following this thread and so had hoped your problem would be solved, but you did make many new friends here!!

So Carnival says you can not board in the Bahamas, cancels your booking....one person less not sailing, can' t they count ? Keeps your money, and says this is financial? Something is very wrong with this way of thinking!!

I know everyone following this thread wishes your daughter a very Happy 16th Birthday!!!!

Good Luck

Bill

i'm in your corner on this. i've read of the same things, and the same $300 fee.

i seem to recall something in the past from carnival that stated that if for some reason such a fine were to be incurred, the passenger would be responsible for it, but that they would allow the violation.

I also have been following this thread and so had hoped your problem would be solved, but you did make many new friends here!!

So Carnival says you can not board in the Bahamas, cancels your booking....one person less not sailing, can' t they count ? Keeps your money, and says this is financial? Something is very wrong with this way of thinking!!

I know everyone following this thread wishes your daughter a very Happy 16th Birthday!!!!

You'll never know how you all have helped me even though I did not make it (there is still time :-). Carnival never officially said the policy change was financial but one of the people I spoke with there suggested the changes were made to help a financial situation that came about as a result of some recent travel changes. The changes were causing Carnival to be taxed unfairly they felt when people in my scenario needed to "catch-up" at the next port of call. I cant speak to the validity of it all but after we got feedback from homeland security who said they had no issues with it and the us embassy in the Bahamas who were ok with me meeting the ship I could only deduce that the matter was close if not exactly what the rep mentioned.

If homeland security is OK with you boarding in the Bahamas, there must be a LARGE fee to disallow you to catch up with your family. I feel like starting a collection, but we couldn't organize it and get it to Carnival on time. And they still took your money!! You should get your taxes and port fees back, right?

If homeland security is OK with you boarding in the Bahamas, there must be a LARGE fee to disallow you to catch up with your family. I feel like starting a collection, but we couldn't organize it and get it to Carnival on time. And they still took your money!! You should get your taxes and port fees back, right?

I understand that they will return taxes and port fees soon. I'm sitting here now trying to figure out when we can book something. Looks like I will be resuming my regular work week now.

I have no clue how to post a link, so here goes (if you want to check a thread out). On Dec 5 at 8:30 P.M. , the thread starter is snookerpie. It's about loops and of course various thoughts.

I ran into it just now. I think this is it. It talks about exactly some of the things I've been hearing from Carnival today only no one that I spoke to could speak on the details/reasons as clearly as this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952824

Edited by s7r2

OP - I keep coming back to this thread hoping to see that some way, some how you were able to board the ship and be with your family. A miracle would be wonderful right now.........GOOD VIBES are being sent your way.........

Thank you so very much. We definitely tried. Looking forward to the next time I can travel together with my family. Look forward to seeing them at the port on Saturday BUT if that miracle comes within the next five or six hours ill see them tomorrow in the Bahamas. :-)

I'm out of bullets and I am officially tired. The only thing I didn't scratch off the list of things to try was storming the ship and stowing away. I'm going to sleep now or at least to bed.

Well, since this is not going to work the way we all wanted it to, at least I hope that your daughter and your wife are having a good girl-bonding cruise and perhaps enjoying some of the aspects of the vacation that ate more girl-friendly, to make up for the loss of your presence with them.