Replace wedding ring set with inexpensive ring?

I'm about to leave on a 12-day med. cruise and I'm still wondering whether or not to wear my wedding ring set (large sapphire with 2 diamonds and an eternity band) or just wear a plain gold band. I've been told that's a good idea to leave good jewelry home. Thoughts?

I'm about to leave on a 12-day med. cruise and I'm still wondering whether or not to wear my wedding ring set (large sapphire with 2 diamonds and an eternity band) or just wear a plain gold band. I've been told that's a good idea to leave good jewelry home. Thoughts?

If it is flashy and you think it may catch someone's eye I would opt for the gold band or just the eternity band. I wear my wedding band that I had my diamond put on it as well as an eternity band and never felt uncomfotable,but it is not very large. I do not wear a diamond necklace or anything I feel would catch an ey unless it's fake,and a good theif can tell the difference....:D

There are many women who do this so as not have to worry about their rings while on the trip.

I plan to wear my wedding rings, they are insured. I also "turn" my rings around to face inward if I'm in an area where I don't want to attract attention so it looks like I'm wearing a white-gold band.

Do what makes you feel comfortable and won't take away from the pleasure of your trip...

I put my big diamond ring in the vault and wear a gold band that has small diamonds on it.

Though my diamond ring is insured, I'd rather avoid any unpleasant experiences when travelling.

Guest Crazeecat5

I usually wear my diamond engagement ring and wedding band while traveling. I also turn them around, when necessary. Just got a beautiful diamond necklace for my 50th birthday and have been dying to wear it on this cruise. Think I will leave it in the cabin safe while off the ship. We will be in some European cities notorious for thieves.

Sheryl

I too have a diamond pendant I would like to wear but ... it's staying home this time. I won't be taking anything "flashy". I think I'll have enough to worry about without having to guard a necklace or ring. Yes, it is all insured but the memories aren't. Even if I leave it on the ship, I still have to get it there and then back home and babysit it while we travel before and after the cruise. I'd be having to be super vigilant about my carry on or else hide it on myself. Not worth the stress IMHO. I don't take anything really important with me.

Barb

Upon leaving the bus at Heathrow in 2002, I left my camera bag on the bus. It contained, not only film, but jewelry and Belgian chocolates. The Princess staff were extremely efficient, contacted the driver and she returned with the empty bus an hour later, with everytging intact. She didn't even accept a tip.

It went a long way in reiterating my faith in humankind let me tell you. I cried like a baby until she showed up...not for the jewelry, but the pictures, which were irreplacable.

Anyway, lesson learnt. I bring only silver jewelry...once it's polished, it looks like white gold. I won't cry if I lose a piece. My diamond will go to the bank during the trip and I'll have a Diamonelle piece while onboard. I agree with the poster who said that better deals are had without jewelry. The merchants can't assess what you can or cannot afford. Some goes with the way you dress in port too.

I've worn 'fake' diamonds (some bought onboard for $20) for all of our cruises and don't wear them onshore. Thieves are not always expert and seeing what looks like diamonds can make you a target. I feel more comfortable wearing a gold wedding ring and nothing on my right hand when on shore excursions...all is safely in the safe (even the fakes) and taken out for formal nights....I've discovered that less jewelry keeps me less uncomfortable and, as much as I love jewelry, doesn't take away from the way I feel on a cruise.

I always wear a simple wedding band.

I find you can bargain better if you are not wearing expensive jewelry.

I agree. We spent a week in Bangkok a few years ago with another couple. I left my big diamond ring at home and my friend wore hers. I really don't enjoy bargaining and haggling, but my friend does - she's from Manila, so she's used to it - and everytime she'd try to get something for less money, her diamond would be flashing in the eyes of the seller. Not a good negotiating technique! LOL!

Jane

Archived