Red Stripe Beach or..........

bandp407

Will be docking in Falmouth while on the Celebrity Silhouette in April. Last time there we went with family to the Hilton and it was great. Just my husband & I on this one and thought we would stay closer to the ship & spend a bit less money. How is Red Stripe which I understand is closer and offered by X and RCCL. Is is worth the $28pp for transportation PLUS then rental of beach chairs?? Should we make this a "ship" day?

• 3 weeks later...

Let me paste here the answer I posted to another cruiser:

Marcia, we just returned from the cruise on the Allure, were in Falmouth 01/29/14. I did extensive research on exactly the same question you are asking. From what I understood, there are no walking distance accessible beach near Falmouth port. My parents went to Red stripe beach through RCCL (Oasis, 01/04/14 sailing, $28 per person fee and that includes transportation and beach entrance, but loungers, umbrellas, food/drink - all extra, five to ten minutes ride from port) and they said it was very crowded and unimpressive. We took taxi for $20 per person round trip to Montego Bay's Doctor's Cave beach ( $6 per person entrance fee, $6 per lounge chair, $6 for an umbrella, but there is small area of natural shade under palm trees, so if vacant umbrella can be skipped). There is a nice, reasonably priced restaurant with live music right on the beach(we paid under $40 for lunch for two with drinks and tip). Ride to Montego Bay from Falmouth was about 40-45min, but the road is beautiful and it was like tour in itself.

progress.gif

We just completed a cruise on Oasis of Seas Feb 1-8. We bought the ship excursion to Red Stripe beach for $28 pp which is a shuttle. The bus seats about 40 people and leaves from the shore excursion area at the port. You have to walk to the end of the shopping area to get to the area where all excursions leave. It is about 10 minutes to get to Red Stripe beach. When you turn off the main highway, you are on a created gravel road cut through a swamp. The beach area has several small colorful buildings-bathrooms, shops and bar. The beach has pure white sand and water is crystal clear and mild surf. The only downside is there is seagrass and seaweed which workers are continually raking off beach. They have cleared a large area which is nice sand. Chairs are $5 and in good condition. Plenty of shade from palm trees. We walked along beach and it is totally undeveloped. There are security guards protecting area. The shuttle runs continually until 3:30 so it is easy to get back to ship. Great place to spend a few hours close to ship.