Pride of America Hawaii Cruise

Abesnowman

We are looking to plan a Hawaii cruise .. Was wondering if anyone had any information that might help us .. We would prefer fly to Hawaii and cruise the islands I believe Pride of America is the ships name .. We also would like to go when there are the least amount of kids on board since we are wanting a peaceful cruise.. We would be interested in any pointers any one would have to share with us.. This will be our 3rd cruise .. Last year we did the Alaskan cruise and it was awesome ..

Yes, Pride of America is the ship that does the Hawaiian islands. We went last November with our two (young adult) children. It was excellent. The ship itself was nice and we enjoyed the food and the evening entertainment. If you go during the school year then you will see fewer kids than if you go in the summer or during March break. I don't recall seeing many children. There were a few babies, I think. Of course drunken adults can cause more of a ruckus than well behaved children so there's no guarantee about the "peacefulness" of it. :) We were off the ship every morning and didn't come back until late afternoon, so we really didn't notice our fellow passengers much. We didn't have the time or money to do lots of sea days there and back from the mainland, so this was the perfect cruise for us.

• 8 months later...
OP said they wanted to fly to the islands and take a cruise from there. Does Princess depart from the islands? I didn't see that when I was looking at the time.

No, Princess's Hawaiian cruises depart from California, touching base in Ensenada. As there are no Princess ships sailing under the American flag, Princess must touch a foreign port (as must all other non-US-flag ships). As I recall, there are also some lines which port at Fannin Island as their non-US port.

The only line which cruises Hawaii under the US flag, and does not have to touch a foreign port, is NCL.

We cruised the Pride of America in April 2014. We also spent 3 days in Oahu before the cruise. We really enjoyed it. It was our 9th cruise, but first on NCL. We saw very few children. Mainly just toddlers or babies, but not very many. Most people appeared to be 40 + and many were older than us (we are late 50's). Enjoyed the ship and the staff was very friendly. Enjoyed the shows, as well. Since it was such a port intensive cruise and we wanted to see everything we could, we had tours booked for everyday including the 3 days on Oahu. When we returned home, I felt like we didn't have any "down time". So if I had it to do over again, I would take fewer tours and relax a little more. Maybe on the next trip to Hawaii we can that. My other recommendation would be to take a helicopter tour on one of the islands. We chose Kauai and it was fantastic.

We sailed Pride of America for our 25th Anniversary June 2011. Wonderful cruise. I didn't feel I wanted to be at see for 4-5 days. We got in to Oahu a day early and stayed 4 more days after the cruise. We always got off the ship in ports. It made us want to go back some day for a week vacation on Kauai. Maybe Maui also. Most of our excursions we did thru Roberts instead of the ship. Practically same excursion for less.

I think that's 1 of the best parts of cruising, getting a taste of different places and then you can go back for a longer vacation if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking to plan a Hawaii cruise .. Was wondering if anyone had any information that might help us .. We would prefer fly to Hawaii and cruise the islands I believe Pride of America is the ships name .. We also would like to go when there are the least amount of kids on board since we are wanting a peaceful cruise.. We would be interested in any pointers any one would have to share with us.. This will be our 3rd cruise .. Last year we did the Alaskan cruise and it was awesome ..

I was on POA for the September 27, 2014 cruise. Not my first time to Hawaii but my first time cruising Hawaii. I saw very few children on the cruise. If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to answer if I can.