Coral Photo Review Sailed on Jan. 8/14

wilfros

Well I think I can start my review now, having already entered into discussions in earlier threads.

My wife and I are in our very early 60s and this is our 4th "modern day" cruise. I say modern day as I also sailed 4 times before on the Original Sun and Pacific Princess'. This cruise, was special however, because we were joined by my Sister and BIL. This would be my first vacation with my Sister in over 45 years and I wanted her experience to be as special as ours was when we first sailed on Caribbean Princess over 4 years ago.

To go to the end of the story first ... In fact it was! My Sister and her Husband had a fantastic time, and thus we also had the time of our lives.

Now, I am going to try and post at least once a day, until completion, however, if I miss a day, I apologize in advance. I will try and make up for any pause by adding extra photos. Should there be questions along the way please ask away and I am certain if I can't answer them someone joining us will have the information and I welcome the help.

So .....

Back to the past.

Back in early January we were all suffering from extreme cold along with unbelievable amounts of snow. To say many flights were canceled would be a large understatement. We were scheduled to depart Ottawa Canada to Chicago and then on the Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday Jan. 7 for an overnight and then board the Coral Princess the next day. When I woke up on Sunday Jan 5th all flights to Chicago, out of Ottawa were canceled along with all flight on Monday the 6th. This concerned me as this meant the Tuesday flights (our scheduled date of departure) would be the first departure in over 3 days.

Due to this concern I decided I could not take the pressure and called Air Canada. They had a flight departing on Monday the 5th and had 2 seats remaining. I booked them.

We departed Ottawa without further problems only to wake up the next morning, in Fort Lauderdale, to find out that, in fact, or originally scheduled flights had been canceled. Thus by the grace of God we had made it.

We spent the extra day in Fort Lauderdale with a rented car and visited the observation points overlooking the port, drove north along the ocean coast and then over to Sawgrass Shopping Center. We had a great day, fully relaxed, especially given the fact that we could have been stuck back home unable to get to the cruise.

Next morning DS and BIL arrived at our hotel (we stayed at the Roadway Inn and Suites) and together we all traveled over to Coral Princess.

I am going to state my opinions in as honest and personal a manner as possible. Please remember that these are my opinions based on my experiences and, at times, may not be in agreement with yours. That does not negate my opinions any more than they negate yours. Quite simply they are just my opinions and that is what I am going to try and express.

The first thing I noticed about Princess was, as usual, that they have embarkation (and dis-embarkation) down to a fine art. While all our other cruises with Princess have been remarkable in this regard this particular cruise was even above their normally high standard. Congratulation Princess I can't believe anyone can out do you in this regard.

Having come from COLD CANADA we were excited to be going South to the Warmth. WRONG!!! When we boarded Coral it was cold and wet!!

P1080132.jpg

Yes, indeed, that is rain on the balcony railings and mist (cold mist) in the distance. Not quite what we had been hoping for. But, BIL was in short sleeve shirt so it was still better than home.

With excitement in the air we finally set sail, leaving Emerald Princess and her guests in our dust (or mist???)

P1080144.jpg

BTW: I photoshoped the photos so the colours are more vivid and the mist harder to see, but believe me it was there.

P1083436.jpg

P1083439.jpg

Once we were certain that we were underway and assured the Captain no longer needed our sharp judgmental eyes to assist with sailaway, we prepared ourselves for our first evening at sea, with supper and welcome the aboard show in our immediate future.

More to come shortly.

Yes, I am enjoying it as well. We sail in March and I can't wait. I can't wait to hear more and more about your trip. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I hope you have had plenty of rest and now able to post this. Thank you for doing this and taking the time.

I am enjoying this so far! Love the photos. Thanks for posting!

Yes, I am enjoying it as well. We sail in March and I can't wait. I can't wait to hear more and more about your trip. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I hope you have had plenty of rest and now able to post this. Thank you for doing this and taking the time.

Talk about immediate positive encouragement. Thanks

Hope too see more. We are sailing on the Coral nest week. And yes, a mist in FL with short sleeve shirts is better than cold and snow.

I agree with that. You could not even go out with a light jacket around here this week - it is way to cold. I can't wait to be out in the sun.

Hope too see more. We are sailing on the Coral nest week. And yes, a mist in FL with short sleeve shirts is better than cold and snow.

Is there something specific you wish to see? If so I would be glad to post a photo out of order if you wish to see it.

Just let me know

What a great start to your review! I can't wait to read more.You are an excellent story teller.

I am curious in how your sister and BIL got to FLL. I assume they are not in Canada and the flights for them weren't an issue? You said there were only 2 seats available and you were able to get them.

Debbie

What a great start to your review! I can't wait to read more.You are an excellent story teller.

I am curious in how your sister and BIL got to FLL. I assume they are not in Canada and the flights for them weren't an issue? You said there were only 2 seats available and you were able to get them.

Debbie

Thank you so much for the compliment however, how "excellent" can I be when I leave gaping holes in my adventure?

Dear Sister and Hubby retired this year and have decided to spend their winters in Florida. Come November they make like the birds and "...." South for the winter.

Wo on cruise day they just got in their truck and drove from the coast side of Florida to the Atlantic side and met up with us.

This is a long story (about the cruise) so if there are any other little gaps please let me know LOL

If I am going to make a post then I might as well include a photo don't you think??

P1083432.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos. Not in 3D this time?

Someone Noticed!! :eek:

I started another thread about this. Everyone can see 2D and every photo I post has been developed into 3D.

Anyone that wants a 3D version of any of my photos need only ask and I will email it to you. You need to have a 3D TV and I will send you a .MPO formatted file and you can read in your owners manual on how to view it on your TV.

They really are magnificent (if I do say so myself), Especially the ones from Panama Canal

P1083439.jpg

Someone Noticed!! :eek:

I started another thread about this. Everyone can see 2D and every photo I post has been developed into 3D.

That makes sense. I remember you posting an earlier review with the 3D photos. I have the glasses, so I was able to look at them. But a lot of people couldn't see them properly. It's probably better to post them in 2D here on CC.

Looking forward to the rest of your review. My wife and I did a 15 day Panama Canal cruise on the Coral in 2012, and it was great. Your review and photos are bringing the wonderful memories back.

I have the glasses, so I was able to look at them. But a lot of people couldn't see them properly.

Well, if you have the glasses I would be happy to post any photos you ask for in the anaglyph format (red/blue) so that you can see them in 3D.

No need to have the glasses and not use them. Dust them off and let me know what photos you want to see. :cool:

R158.jpg

Our previous cruises were on Princess Grand Class and Carnival Panamax Ships. Panamax is a term used to indicate a ship that was build to the largest dimensions possible to transit the Panama Canal at it's present day size. Coral and Island Princess' are the two Princess ships built to these specific dimensions.

This, of course, means that all Panamax Ships are very similar in size. I make this statement as I am about to make comparisons between Coral Princess and Carnival's Panamax ships Pride and Miracle.

desktop2.jpg

Let me start by stating quite simply that Coral Princess is a beautiful ship and was a fun ship on which to spend 11 days.

Having stated that, I would say that Coral, to me, always had a dysfunctional feel to her. What I mean by that is there were many many times where we had the "you can't get there from here" feeling. I can't seem to explain it any better than that and I am not sure what it was that gave me that feeling. Perhaps it was that the forward and aft elevators did not go any lower than deck 7. If you want to go anywhere on the lower decks, and you were forward or aft on the ship, you must first go to deck 7, Promenade Deck, walk to the Atrium and then descent or ascend to where it is you wish to visit. Likewise, if you are anywhere but on deck 7 you must first get yourself to the Promenade Deck and from there go forward of aft to ascend the elevators. Now the problem may be that the dysfunction existed in me rather than the ship, but I, for some reason, feel better blaming the ship.

I found this design very confusing. Never once on any of the Princess Grand ships did I feel this same level of disorientation nor did it exist on any of the Carnival Ships we sailed.

In every way possible when comparing the design of the different Panamax ships we have sailed on, Coral Princess was my least favorite. While I very much more prefer the decor of Princess, the interior design of the Carnival ships are far superior.

Further, I found many areas of Coral Princess to be in need of some loving attention. It was interesting, one night I suffered from extreme insomnia and was up walking the decks at 3:30 in the morning. They have an army of people on the ship taking care of her needs, from sanding, varnishing the rails, scrubbing the decks, cleaning light fixtures etc. etc. In spite of this, however, I found many very noticeable areas needing some "love". Most noticeable, to me, was the many stains in the carpet in the public elevator areas. I did not go to such an area and not see large, very noticeable stains.

Other things include, doors not closing properly without slamming them so hard it sounds like something is wrong or there is a problem and most uncomfortable was the lack of hot water in the shower. This latter problem was the most interesting, as our sink had water so hot it hurt, and my sister, next door, had great heat in the shower. Of all the people in our group, no other person experienced the same problem, but at the same time, no one was able to correct the issue.

In my VERY humble opinion, by comparison to the other ships I have been on, Coral Princess seemed to be getting old and tired and in need of some general care. Never before have I ever noticed such things on a ship but these problems were everywhere on Coral and after 11 days it became very evident.

Now, having said that let me get on to the nicer things, and that being the reasons why we sail and will continue to sail on Princess.

Coral is very evidently a Princess Ship. Her decor is, for us, beautiful, calming and graceful. Her colours are gentle and warm and we love what the interior designers have done with the various rooms.

Our most favorite deck on all the Princess ships we have sailed on is the promenade deck. When I was very young my Dad was transferred over to France with the Canadian Armed Forces and we sailed across the North Atlantic aboard one of the steam ships of the day. When I walk on one of the Princess promenade decks I get to revisit my memories of that voyage. I always begin and end our cruise day with a walk along this deck.

R1.jpg

I found Coral Princess felt very small. I checked the dimensions of her against Carnival Pride and Carnival Miracle and the difference in size is not worth talking about. We are taking inches here so really for all intents and purposes they are identical in size., yet the feel on Coral was that, to me, of a much smaller ship. She seemed incapable of handling the groups that gather for different events. On the 2 formal nights in particular it was almost impossible to move in the atrium and surrounding stairwell areas. While Caribbean Princess is a much larger ship with many more passengers, we never once felt we were in a crowd. Neither did we ever get this feeling on any of the similar sized Carnival ships. IMHO much of this had to do with the lack of access to the atrium. One can only enter and exit the atrium from the promenade deck (deck 7) level. Now it is possible to exit this area from level 8 where the library and internet cafe is located but you must first combat the crowds to get to this level and then walk down cabin corridors to the forward elevators.

NOW FOR MY DISCLAIMER: When we arrived in Fort Lauderdale we stayed at the Roadway Inn which we booked on a discount hotel web site. It was an OK hotel (Motel) similar in status to a Super 8 chain. It is nothing fancy and certainly not stellar in it's decor or furnishings. So, the question would be, if I am happy with that, what is my problem with Coral Princess? The answer is NOTHING. We pay twice as much to stay of Coral Princess as we do to say in the Roadway, BUT the Coral is MANY MANY more times nicer, even given the little oddities I have pointed out.

Did any of what I have just stated above effect my vacation? Absolutely Not! Given the condition of the other ships in the fleet I just wanted to state what I observed.

L14.jpg

The other interesting thing about her size was that she seemed more susceptible to wave action and ocean movement. In all my previous cruises I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of motion from the ocean. This was not the case here. There were many nights where the motion was quite substantial and during the day resulted in interesting times at the pool. Many hours were spent by people in the Coral Princess Wave Pool and I have never seen a "wave pool" create as much motion as was provided to the cruisers on this voyage. One day they even had to close the pools as they felt it was becoming dangerous. This was much to the disappointment of my wife and sister who were having the time of their lives.

All public areas were beautiful and we especially enjoyed the Universe Lounge at the aft of the ship. This is a very unique and well appointed venue and we enjoyed every time we attended an event here.

In general, Coral Princess is a beautiful, but small ship and in a heartbeat I would return without reservation, or hesitation. I do hope, however, that Princess puts a little more money into her general maintenance, she is worth it and after 10 to 11 years of service she probably deserves it.

R50.jpg

More to come along with my photos. :D

Well, if you have the glasses I would be happy to post any photos you ask for in the anaglyph format (red/blue) so that you can see them in 3D.

Thanks for the offer. But I'm enjoying your 2D photos, so there's no need to do that.

I read with interest your impressions of the Coral Princess. Having been used to the Grand Class ships, I was turned around by the Coral a few times. And I do agree about the crowding in the Atrium, especially on formal nights. We had Anytime Dining and the scene at the entrance to the Bordeaux Dining Room was a chaotic madhouse. It was so congested that people on the glass elevators couldn't get off. There were guests in tuxedos sitting on the Atrium stairs with buzzers in their hands. We wound up waiting an hour and 15 minutes for a table that evening. That has never happened on the Golden or Star.

But, like you, I looked beyond the problems, and had a great time. I would go back on the Coral Princess in a heartbeat.

So much for my story telling abilities.

I think I have not expressed myself correctly. I am emailing with someone to whom I am sending 3D files. They mentioned that they did not know Princess had wave pools. Please let me be clear, it is not a wave pool but rather just reactions by the water in the pools to the rough seas the ship was experiencing.

R50.jpg

Edited by wilfros

So much for my story telling abilities.

I think I have not expressed myself correctly. I am emailing with someone to whom I am sending 3D files. They mentioned that they did not know Princess had wave pools. Please let me be clear, it is not a wave pool but rather just reactions by the water in the pools to the rough seas the ship was experiencing.

R50.jpg

Great review. I cann't wait for the next chapter.

LOL! I thought it was really a wave pool! All the same, it looks like a great pool!

Also, I have been getting your photos in 3D and they are stunning to view on our TV. I feel like we can reach out and touch things. I am not very technical and it was very easy to load them on a stick and view them on our TV. Thank you so much for taking time to do this!

Thanks for the offer. But I'm enjoying your 2D photos, so there's no need to do that.

I read with interest your impressions of the Coral Princess. Having been used to the Grand Class ships, I was turned around by the Coral a few times. And I do agree about the crowding in the Atrium, especially on formal nights. We had Anytime Dining and the scene at the entrance to the Bordeaux Dining Room was a chaotic madhouse. It was so congested that people on the glass elevators couldn't get off. There were guests in tuxedos sitting on the Atrium stairs with buzzers in their hands. We wound up waiting an hour and 15 minutes for a table that evening. That has never happened on the Golden or Star.

But, like you, I looked beyond the problems, and had a great time. I would go back on the Coral Princess in a heartbeat.

We had Traditional Dining and I did notice the crowds on the lower level. Because I was not part of the disorganization I did't feel I should comment, however, now that you brought it up, it was noticeable and I was thankful I had a reserved table. :D