Info on Caribbean cruises

Teekkanie

Hello to all fellow cruisers,

I really want to take a Caribbean cruise. Yes to see if the water really is that blue. ;) and to say I finally did it. I have cruised on the pacific side of Mexico a few times. I am ready to try the east coast.

I am hoping to get some input on to what you all think about the Caribbean cruises. Which is better eastern or western? What ships do you like for that cruise. Also the big question, what time of year to go, e.g. hurricane season? I would really like to do it for my birthday in early October, but not sure if I should plan one at that time of year. I am older but young at heart. I like to explore and see things. So any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Howdy,

You can't beat the Carribean!!!

Depending on what you want to do will reflect Eastern or Western.

Eastern has the shopping and beaches.

Western has the beaches and more exotic locations.

Personally, I love the Eastern beaches and shopping. Grand Turk St Marteen and Half Moon Cay are beautiful.

Time of year.... We have always done the early spring cruise out of Florida. April time of year. You have to remember that September - December (i think that is the right period) is hurricane season. Which ever time you decided you will love it... The water is just like you think it looks like. Nothing like Mexico. I actually think the water is better then Hawaii..

.... is June 1 to November 30. Peak of activity occurs around late August and September each season.

If a hurricane is going to affect your cruise, the cruiselines will cancel various ports, and go somewhere where the weather is nicer. If diverted, they will substitute alternate ports in a majority of cases.

Edited by loanshark

Caribbean is fantastic, never get tired of cruising down there. For general area, we like southern Caribbean, and there are other specific islands we love like Jamaica and St Maarten and Grand Turk.

We normally go in February or March to break up the looooong winters where we live, but I have also gone in the summer and managed to avoid hurricanes, (Katrina almost got us but it was just a really bumpy ride one day. :D

To get a real taste, I would pic a trip that has stops in ports that are other than just US islands. That will give you a better feel for the Caribbean over all, just my opinion. I also agree with the folks that say skip the Bahamas, just didn't do it for me.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to try out and welcome to de Caribbean mon!

:)

Our first choice is the Southern Caribbean, but for a first-timer the Eastern route is a great introduction and can more easily be done in 7 days. We've also enjoyed our Western cruises, but have been there omanyften enough that it is our third choice.

Recommending a cruise line is difficult because we don't know enough about you and what you like and want. We have cruised Princess the most, but so far have enjoyed cruises on five different lines.

I've never cruised in October because we want to go to the Caribbean in winter to miss the worst of the weather here. October is in hurricane season, but chances are fairly small that you will actually be impacted; but of course no one can guarantee that.

Celebrity Summit repositions from Bayonne, NJ to San Juan, Puerto Rico in October. Goes to Bermuda on the way to the Southern Caribbean. Friends have done this cruise and loved it.

We've taken the Summit on its round trip San Juan Southern Caribbean and loved it so much we're doing it again. Also love the Western Caribbean, but Southern is warmer in the winter, when we like to cruise.

And yes, the water really is that blue!!!:D

.... is June 1 to November 30. Peak of activity occurs around late August and September each season.

If a hurricane is going to affect your cruise, the cruiselines will cancel various ports, and go somewhere where the weather is nicer. If diverted, they will substitute alternate ports in a majority of cases.

It's leaving from a home port that is hit right before, during or when you are returning that could affect your vacation. The odds are with you though. Many people have cruised during hurricane season without any weather issues.