Minor child and notorized letter from ex husband?

mcbor

I will be traveling with my 16 yo DD who has a different last name than me. Her father and I are divorced. Will I need a letter from him stating he is aware of my taking our daughter out of the country and is ok with it? What exactly should it say and does it need to be notorized? Thanks.

We have legal custody of a child...and we only needed his birth certificate. I took the court papers just in case and not one person asked for it..cruiseship or airport. Kind of scary...actually considering all that could happen in this world...but oh well.

Anyhow...if your ex is willing to do it..I would take one just in case..but especially since she is an older teen, I would say you will most likely never need it.

I will be traveling with my 16 yo DD who has a different last name than me. Her father and I are divorced. Will I need a letter from him stating he is aware of my taking our daughter out of the country and is ok with it? What exactly should it say and does it need to be notorized? Thanks.

I got a notorized letter from Mecklinberg County, NC (Charlotte) from my step daughter's mother stating where we were going, the dates, that we had her permission, and that her father and I were to make emergency medical decisions without the mothers consent.

This was a form that she got from the courthouse and it was notorized.

YES- absolutely get a notorized form stating when/where you are going. If they ask for this and you dont have it- they can rfuse her boarding. You may not be asked at all- but cover your bases. If you want to email me I can send you a copy of the form we use. This is necessary if parents are MARRIED and only one is traveling with the child.

layesse@yahoo.com

Yes, you will. Even if you were still married but not traveling with your child's father you need the letter, my sister and I take our kids on vacation and leave our husband's home at least once a year and we still need to get the letters. Type it up to say.

To whom it may concern;

I, John Doe give my permission for Jane Doe to take my children, Billy and Sally Doe, born (list birth dates) out of the country from (list dates you will be traveling).

Sincerely,

John Doe

(signed and notarized)

They usually don't ask, but if they do and you don't have the letter, you aren't going on vacation! I saw it happen once when we went to Mexico, they wouldn't let a mom board the plane with her daughter.:eek:

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________

I (we):______________________________________________________________

authorize my/our minor child(ren):___________________________________________

to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________

aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________

and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:

____________________________________________________________. Their expected

date of return is _______________________.

In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent

to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Notary Public Signature and Seal

Yes, you will. Even if you were still married but not traveling with your child's father you need the letter, my sister and I take our kids on vacation and leave our husband's home at least once a year and we still need to get the letters. Type it up to say.

Sounds to me like its a good idea from reading all the other posts here. Like everyone has stated..worse case scenario...you're not asked and don't need it...but I wouldn't want to be stuck in the other scenario.

Have fun!!!!

We took my step-daughter on our 7/3 Miracle cruise, brought a copy of the divorce papers AND the consent to travel form that her mom signed, never asked for anything, HOWEVER... I wouldn't travel without it. It's more of a better to be safe than sorry thing.

My daughters have a different last name than mine also and we have always taken a signed, notarized form with his consent when we have traveled out of the country with them. We did it for our cruise last week and were never asked for it and I had it with every time we got on and off the ship. Although it was never needed you are still required by law to have it. Better safe than sorry!:rolleyes:

My mom and sister took my 5 year old daughter to Belize last year. We called the airline three different times and they said we didn't need anything. When they got to the airport to check in she needed some type of note. But they said since she didn't look scared or worried they would let her go. On the way home my mom and her husband wrote a note and signed my name and my husbands name. They even asked for a note to leave the country. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I, too, am traveling with my daughter who has a different last name then me and my husband and her sister. I was concerned since I have no clue where her natural father is or can be located. So I called Carnival..they assured me that as long as her name matches the airline tickets and the boarding pass that we are fine..they stated that we are not staying 24 hours in Mexico and that wouldnt be necessary and to relax and enjoy the cruise. Its a good thing because I dont know where her natural father is to even sign a letter.

Just off Sensaton and my son also has a different last name. I brought our divorce papers just in case that shows my total custody and my restoration to my maiden name. They didn't say a word about it. I drove to the port so I don't know how the airlines work, but at the cruise terminal didn't seem to matter.

I am taking my second Girl Scout troop on a cruise (sensation 8/8/05) and I have to be sure of these things. Unless both parents are present on the cruise it is necessary to have a notarized permission slip. Last time they did not ask for it so I had my TA call and check. It is policy. I would take it and be safe.

It's better to be safe then sorry. The last time I traveled alone with my son I was asked for a letter by the airline at the end of my vacation (return flight) but not at the beginning. I wonder if it depends on who checks you in :confused:

I am taking my nephew, who has lived with me for 6 yrs on Glory in Aug. TA and Carnival both said we need to have notarized letter from BOTH parents. Is easy to get signature from his mom. She only lives a couple of miles away, but his deadbeat dad is another story. Have not heard from him in many years. State of WA tried to find him to establish support and they gave up too. So got in touch with support enforcement and had them send out a letter saying they were unable to locate "dear old dad." Note we used states that mom has sole legal custody. Hopefully all goes well.

When I went on my first cruise which stopped in Mexico with my two children who have a different last name than me, I was told to have their birth certificates and the raised seal copy of my divorce papers showing I had physical custody. The TA said that they are much stricter about this in Mexico than at other places. Anyway, as we were getting back on the ship at Cozemul, one of the crew members checking our Sign and Sail cards hesitiated for just a second because of the difference in the last names, but I said "I'm their mother" and they let us back on board. I did not have a notarized letter. I did, however, have to inform my ex that I was leaving the country with the children.

Archived