MD Birth Certificate

Leyann

Hi Everyone! I'm sure I'm probably getting nervous over nothing but.. as I was doing the online check in today, I noticed my sons birth certificate doesn't have the raised seal that mine does. After some research (and actually reading the bc), it states on the bc that the seal of vital records should be clearly embossed.

It gives all of our info and his on it, it has the state registrar signature. Now, I'm confused about the seal that should be "clearly embossed". The entire border of the paper is a bit embossed and at the bottom corners are what I'm guessing to be the seals (since they are a picture and state MD Dept of Health and Mental Hygiene Secretary is written around it) but they don't seem to be embossed any differently then the rest of the borders. If I flip it over, I can see the embossing a little bit.

Is this bc alright for him? He is 8 so it was issued in 2006. Again, I'm probably worried over nothing. DH has a watermark on his FL one so I can't even judge with that.

Thank you so much! I didn't even think to look at this when I made sure I had his bc 2 weeks ago when we booked.

It looks like this:

Maryland%20Birth%20certificate.jpg

Thank you so much! I figured it was probably correct since it's the only one I've had. I plan to get passports but this was a last minute idea and his first cruise so we didn't have time (booked 2.5 weeks out).

Thank you! I'm so looking forward to getting out of this crazy VA weather. There was no school for the last week due to the ice here in the Richmond area (not sure what part of VA your in). It also looks like the week we are gone will be more freezing rain and snow. I am more then a little happy that we will be in 80 and sun :) I love snow, I'm from NY but this cold is too much. Temps in the singles and teens and I don't work well. Its one of the reason I moved a little south! :)

My brother, his wife and their daughter have all sailed with that same MD birth certificate and they were fine-- same thing with my FIL's from Oklahoma. My older MD one (the card where you can perforate the father's name off) doesn't have a seal either and I used to travel with it before I got my passport.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Yours is fine, a photo copy is NOT fine. Depending on the ship if you have forgotten your BC and can have it faxed they will accept that but not a photo copy, not sure the reasoning on that but it is the fact. I work cruise check in for a number of different lines and none accept a copy.

Yours is fine, a photo copy is NOT fine. Depending on the ship if you have forgotten your BC and can have it faxed they will accept that but not a photo copy, not sure the reasoning on that but it is the fact. I work cruise check in for a number of different lines and none accept a copy.

Sorry to disagree, but check the Carnival website. As stated I HAVE used photocopy and VERIFIED with Carnival.

I have also used a photocopy to cruise with CCL and I used it intentionally to answer this very question. Other cruise lines may have different requirements, but the DHS regulations allow an "original or copy" of a birth certificate to be used. (And as you allude to ManyMore there is no difference between a photocopy and a faxed copy.) (Also, the original is to be preferred for other reasons, such as if you need to verify your citizenship at a consulate in order to obtain an emergency travel document).

You were very lucky to have gotten away with a "photo copy" of a BC which is not the same as a copy. There are original BC given when a child is born, there are often lost over the years so the state can then provide you with a "copy" that is issued by them. Just taking a photo copy of one at staples is not the same thing and yes I do check i n for Carnival as well.

• Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

OP, I have a MD BC which I got as a backup in case I didn't get my passport renewal back in time for my first cruise a couple of years ago. On mine, the round seals at the bottom don't look raised, but if you feel them you can definitely tell it's embossed, You should be able to see the embossing from the back if you turn it over.

You were very lucky to have gotten away with a "photo copy" of a BC which is not the same as a copy. There are original BC given when a child is born, there are often lost over the years so the state can then provide you with a "copy" that is issued by them. Just taking a photo copy of one at staples is not the same thing and yes I do check i n for Carnival as well.

• Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by a government agency: state/county/city) and a government issued photo ID if 16 years of age and older.

The information in parens clarifies that it must be a government issued birth certificate, as opposed to one issued by a hospital. I presented my copy to three people- the security guy at the terminal door in order to be allowed into the terminal, the port check-in person in order to board and the Customs officer at the conclusion of the cruise. None of them said anything about my document not being acceptable. Your original is filed with the proper authority when you are born and all you will ever get is a certified copy of that document- what most people consider to be an original birth certificate (my own says that it is a "certified transcript" of the information on file).

What port do you work for?

ManyMore you are correct that the "original" stays with the government office issuing the certificate and they issue a "certified copy", but as you have correctly quoted the written policy of Carnival as well as the Customs and Border Protection websites above, it states a "suitable quality copy" which is a general term not a specific legal term as is "certified copy". That was written that way purposefully. As I stated earlier, I have specifically asked Carnival and the Customs agent at reentry and have gotten very specific answers. That is not to say that whatever company/travel agency you work for requires it, but it is not a requirement of Customs or Carnival as pertains to the WHTI closed loop cruises. There are many other instances where "certified copies" are required (passport applications/driver license/immigration documents, etc) and in those cases the wording specifically specifies "original documents/certified copy". The language .... "issued by the governmental agency" is referring to a copy of a governmental document as opposed to a hospital issued birth record, ceremonial record etc. Those are not government records and are not acceptable whether original or copy.

A photo copy is absolutely acceptable per US CBP:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.
Edited by irishnyc

As others have stated, you only get one original birth certificate, thus being why it is called the original.

Birth certificates issued subsequently are therefore copies.

That is not the way DHS interprets its rule (and if DHS wanted certified copies they could have put that in the regulations, but they did not). While the original may be the best document to bring for other reasons it is helpful for all to keep all alternatives in mind.